New to boats, items required to have in Florida checklist?

Glastron Boater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm finishing up a few minor repairs on my first boat, and I was wondering if anyone has a safety checklist and/or a checklist of necessary items to have on board at all time. I seen the coast guard list online, but it is a 43page pdf, I was hoping for a simpler checklist I can print and check off as I get the items.

Also, are there any tips or pre-water checks I should do?

My boat is 16' 2", 1981 Glastron powered by a force 125.

I plan to go in a lot of the local lakes in lake county, Florida.

I have been on boats before, but they were friends or rental boats, so all the checks were done and in the water already. Just needed to turn key and drive.

Thank you in advance.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I found it easier and less confusing to check the state website for boating rules, regs and safety guidelines. In my case it's the GA DNR, for a Florida neighbor - http://myfwc.com/boating/regulations/

Depending on your age, you may need a boating education certificate. No matter your age, a safety course with periodic refreshers, is a good idea for any new or experienced boater.

Glastron Boater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thank you GA_Boater. That page has a lot of information I'll have to read.

I do have to get the license. I was born in 90. Florida requires it for anyone born 88+. I have a temporary license from the rentals we have used before. But now I'll get the actual permanent license, since I am now an owner.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
PFD's for everuon in boat, plus a few extra ( you can find on the side of the road often because no one in florida secures their load )
Throwable cushion ( also check the side of the road)
Fire extinguisher
Flares
Anchor and appropriate rode
VHF radio
Boat hook

GA_Boater

I have a boat load of orange PFD's and throwables from the road, but more were found floating on the lake. Some Floridians must come up here or we're just as bad. :D

Glastron Boater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have PFDs, but they are older, is that going to be an issue?

The boat came with the throwable PFD.

There is also a fire extinguisher on the boat, I have to check it though if it's still good.

Boat came with a small anchor, I think 15lbs.

Appropriate Rode? Do you mean rope ? Or is there something else?

Boat hook, I just got a big hook from my dad, not sure if that's what you mean though.

VHF radio? Like a CB radio?

Flares, I do not have these, where can I get some?

GA_Boater

PFDs must be usable, meaning the fabric isn't torn and the flotation foam is in good shape. If you doubt using them for you and your passengers lives, get some new ones. You can get a multi-pack of the orange vest type for very little cash.

If the gauge on the extinguisher is in the green, it's probably OK. I don't remember if they have an expiration date.

Enough rode (rope) for the lake depth and conditions is what you need. 15# anchor is more than adequate. I have a 6 pounder danforth type that works well with a 75' rode and no chain. 6' of chain would make it better.

Boat hook - I waffle on this. My hook is a collapsible paddle with a tee handle that functions as a so-so boat hook.

VHF radio is probably unneeded and not required if you stay on lakes in Florida. If other boaters don't have them, no one will answer.

Flares or visual distress signals are required for coastal boating, not on lakes.

The boating course will answer all of your questions.

Here is the list for the FWC, which is the bare minimum;
  • The owner and/or operator of a vessel is responsible to carry, store, maintain and use the safety equipment required by the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG).
  • All vessels are required to have onboard a wearable USCG-approved personal flotation device (PFD) for each person. The PFDs must be of the appropriate size for the intended wearer, be in serviceable condition, and within easy access. The state of Florida urges all people onboard a boat to wear a life jacket.
  • Vessels 16 feet in length or longer must also have at least one USCG-approved throwable Type IV PFD that is immediately available in case of a fall overboard.
  • A child under the age of 6 must wear a USCG-approved Type I, II or III personal flotation device while onboard a vessel under 26 feet in length while the vessel is underway. "Underway" is defined as anytime except when the vessel is anchored, moored, made fast to the shore or aground.
  • Vessels with built-in fuel tanks or enclosed compartments where gasoline fumes can accumulate are required to carry at least one fire extinguisher (depending upon vessel length) which is approved for marine use.
  • All vessels are required to carry an efficient sound-producing device, such as a referee's whistle.
  • Vessels less than 16 feet in length are required to carry at least 3 visual distress signals approved for nighttime use when on coastal waters from sunset to sunrise. Vessels 16 feet or longer must carry at least 3 daytime and three nighttime visual distress signals (or 3 combination daytime/nighttime signals) at all times when on coastal waters.
  • The use of sirens or flashing, occulting or revolving lights is prohibited except where expressly allowed by law.
  • Recreational vessels are required to display navigation lights between sunset and sunrise and during periods of reduced visibility (fog, rain, haze, etc.). The U.S. Coast Guard Navigation Rules specify lighting requirements for every description of watercraft. The information provided in the following link is for vessels less than 65.5 feet/20 meters in length.
    icon_external.png

Glastron Boater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks, it looks we may be close to ready then, since I'm planning on lakes for now.

Once I know the boat better, then we will see about coastal.

Where to find lake depth?

I saw Wal-Mart has a waterways map, would that have this information?

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Please Please Please
Get a high quality VHF radio in fact you may want two.
A stationary one and a portable one for your ditch bag or that can be worn on your person.
It should be a DSC radio.
I hope you never need it but
DSC allows the Coast Guard and other boaters to find you.
Contrary to popular beliefs
Cell phones don't work in the ocean

Glastron Boater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
What is a VHF radio? I have a spare CB radio from a semi, could that be used as a stationary radio, or do they operate at different frequencies?

I don't plan on going out to the ocean with this little boat, but I know what you mean. I don't know how good the cell phones will be out on the lakes.

Thanks.

GA_Boater

No one, I mean no one listens to CB radios on the water. As far as VHF on inland lakes, the Coast Guard isn't listening except on the Great Lakes and VHF is only good if boaters are listening. What is a VHF radio.

Depending what lakes you boat on and the cell carrier, phones may work fine.

Glastron Boater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks GA_Boater.

I guess we will see how good our phones work out there. I have a good cell phone provider, and we have been out on these lakes before, but I don't remember if we had service or not... I was busy enjoying the scenery.

Picked up the last of the missing required things yesterday... I think anyway.

I'll be looking in a VHF radio.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
A CB is not a VHF radio; totally completely different. If you're on a lake I wouldn't worry about it much. I boat on several lakes, the largest being around 25,000 acres. I'd say less than 10% of boats have a VHF. I've listened on mine and very rarely hear anything. Not that it's a bad idea to have one but there have to be other people around listening for it to be of any use.

Glastron Boater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thank you for those links on the VHF radio talks. I haven't had much time to research on them.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
FWIW; the two marinas I use have been around longer than me.(73 plus). They both have CB radios on 24hrs. They have a sign posting what channel they monitor. I have 2 Cobra WT rechargeables (1 for the truck;1 for the boat). Not to disagree with G A; but they are old school; and its nice to know you are not alone. Sorry Mr. G A