Virginia Boaters - be aware of new requirements

cwburkeva

Seaman Apprentice
To any Virginia Boaters; there is a new law, if you didn't already know. It requires all boaters (operating a boat over 10hp) and PWC operators to have completed a NASBLA safety course. Also PWC operators must be 14 years old or older.

I had take a Coast Guard class several years ago and just recently taken another course to refresh through boatUS and it's free.

I have also found out that many people don't know about this law that went into affect July 1, 2016.

Be smart, be safe and take a class!

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/boating/education/requirement/

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sounds like they have copied our rules up here in Canada. I think it's a good thing and may get some of the jerks off the water. Minimum fine for not holding an operators card is 250.00 for the first offence and goes up from there with the possibility of loosing your boat from it being impounded.

cwburkeva

Seaman Apprentice
It's long overdue. Problem is I haven't seen much enforcement yet. I scorned a kid who was riding too close to me on his PWC; got to the ramp where his dad was waiting for him. I asked the father how old the kid was and he responded "He is 10 years old" to which I mentioned that he had to be 14. He promptly had the kid get out of the water (at least at that moment).

People are ignorant of the rules - and I'm sure the Dept of Game and Inland Fisheries who have jurisdiction sent notices about the change in the watercraft registration renewals - but people will ignore. Even my neighbor didn't know and does not care to take a boater safety class - it only takes a few hours and they offer it for free online. ???

I not only follow the rules, but also go the extra mile to have my boat inspected by the coast guard - I get a pretty sticker for it and at least if I get pulled over they can see that I bear some responsible mentality.

I laugh at some of these posts about some really silly stuff. But unfortunately that seems to be the world we now live in - its really too bad.

Tnstratofam

Commander
I wonder how this will affect boaters from other states who frequent VA waterways? We have a lake near us ( Holston ) which lies in both VA and TN. Lots of boaters cross back and forth between Tn and Va while on this waterway.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Thanks for the heads up. We make the trip to Lake Anna every so often and didn't know this requirement. In Pennsylvania anyone born before '77 isn't required to take the boater's safety course. Anyone on a PWC must.

Didn't know it was free either, so thanks x 2!!

cwburkeva

Seaman Apprentice
My understanding is that if you have a boater safety course from any other state or from USCG/Power Squadrons, your good to go. As long as it is NASBLA approved.

I didn't dive into the fines if in non-compliance.

Tnstratofam

Commander
My understanding is that if you have a boater safety course from any other state or from USCG/Power Squadrons, your good to go. As long as it is NASBLA approved.

I didn't dive into the fines if in non-compliance.

The problem with this is in Tn if you were born before 1988 you are not required to have any training. Lots of us have, but many don't.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Question 8
I think you?ve covered it already, but what?s the requirement for non-residents of Virginia?

Answer
If you are operating a boat registered in Virginia, you must comply with Virginia?s boating safety education requirement. If you are operating a boat registered in another state, but temporarily using the waters of Virginia for a period of 90 days or less, you must meet the applicable boating safety education requirements of your state.

On Holiday

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks as I boat in VA for a lot of the summer. I took a class through Power Squadrons many moons ago. Will have to check the certification.

cwburkeva

Seaman Apprentice
Certification doesn't expire - good for life - at least the BoatUS and USCG Aux/Power Squadron course.

cwburkeva

Seaman Apprentice
dingbat - I didn't look that deep since I am registered in VA - good info to know that there is some sort of reprieve for non-VA owners.

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
The problem with this is in Tn if you were born before 1988 you are not required to have any training. Lots of us have, but many don't.

Are you still required to hold a license though / Just wondering.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Are you still required to hold a license though / Just wondering.

Not in Tn if born before 1988. A valid boat registration and proof of age ( Regular State issued Drivers license) is all that is required. If born after 1988 proof of a certified boaters saftey course is a requirement.

I feel it should be a requirement for all as there are a lot of people out there who need training on proper operation, and boating etiquette.

Bonaventure

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I sort of resent the Canadian Boat Operator Course Requirement. I grew up pushing boats. I took this course online at the age of 67. It requires knowledge of all the Navigation Buoys. I operate my Inflatable Boat on inland lakes in Nova Scotia, where the only buoys you will find are Weighted Plastic Jugs that considerate people put in to mark Rocks that are just under the water and may be a danger to Outboard lower units etc.

The enforcement personnel were all born long after I started operating watercraft. It cost $50CDN to take the online course. If I were a Blue Water Sailor, or navigated on big rivers, (I grew up near the St Clair River in Ontario) then the course may have been more appropriate. I think it should be graduated to the boating that each of us do. With my experience I feel it is hardly even necessary. But I did it to satisfy the Law's Requirements.

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
I sort of resent the Canadian Boat Operator Course Requirement. I grew up pushing boats. I took this course online at the age of 67. It requires knowledge of all the Navigation Buoys. I operate my Inflatable Boat on inland lakes in Nova Scotia, where the only buoys you will find are Weighted Plastic Jugs that considerate people put in to mark Rocks that are just under the water and may be a danger to Outboard lower units etc.

The enforcement personnel were all born long after I started operating watercraft. It cost $50CDN to take the online course. If I were a Blue Water Sailor, or navigated on big rivers, (I grew up near the St Clair River in Ontario) then the course may have been more appropriate. I think it should be graduated to the boating that each of us do. With my experience I feel it is hardly even necessary. But I did it to satisfy the Law's Requirements.

Don't have any swimming areas on your lake - if so there should be buoys to mark it off. Also some marinas will put up buoys to control the movements of boats in and out of the marina. I've found these on a lot of lakes. What if you decided to go on a boating holiday - you may run into buoys so knowing this would help.

As to your cost - you got ripped, mine was 24.95.

As to a graduated course depending on where you boated - what happens if you moved or went on a boating holiday - would you be required to upgrade your license? The way it is you are covered not mater where you decide to boat.

Bonaventure

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I 'm pretty sue that the Canadian Power Boating License is recognized in most jurisdictions. I see your point about Beach Swimming Areas, but there are none in the Lakes I've fished so far. I intend to try Dollar Lake next year, which has a Provincial Park. Probably it will be marked off for swimming, it has a beautiful beach. Another is Grand Lake, I don't know if it has a swimming area. Both these lakes are large and deep, difficult to fish. Most of the lakes I use are 2 miles or less long.

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
I 'm pretty sue that the Canadian Power Boating License is recognized in most jurisdictions. I see your point about Beach Swimming Areas, but there are none in the Lakes I've fished so far.

Yes, they are recognized in the US and in a lot of countries overseas.