New boat. Tips??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New boat. Tips??

Just got a 17' 1963 glastron off craigslist. Never had this big of a boat, any tips to get me started? I'll be fishing an a somewhat shallow river. Has a 65 5hp evinrude on it
    Attached Files

Shallow water... watch for the prop hitting bottom. That gets expensive fast.

5 hp on a 17 ft ... you aren't going fast.

Invest in PFDs that are comfortable to wear all the time.

Comment

Edit 65hp

Comment

Congrats on the new boat. Look at the other recommendations on boating safety course, required safety gear, fuel rule of thirds, etc. Suggest getting used to the feel of the boat's handling in open, calm (no or few spectators), then progressively trickier conditions (wind, current, more boats, people)). Forward, reverse, turning, etc. so when you get into those situations, you will be more comfortable. Get a feel for how much room you need to maneuver your bigger boat. Happy boating!

Comment

Nice looking boat

Do the regular maintenance like compression check, change the water pump and change the lower end gear oil. I would look into buying a factory repair manual (around $40) for your motor, model number and year. You'll save a lot of money doing most repairs yourself.
          Last edited by David Young; August 13th, 2016, 03:55 PM.
          1977 MFG 70hp Evinrude Clinton, Tennessee

Comment

Thank yyou for the tips, a safety thread would be very helpful. Silly question but will that boat have a plus like my '15 foot has? I didn't think of asking when I bought it and he didn't mention anything

Comment

Originally posted by Waterwhippin View Post
              Thank yyou for the tips, a safety thread would be very helpful. Silly question but will that boat have a plus like my '15 foot has? I didn't think of asking when I bought it and he didn't mention anything
              What is a plus? Just wondering

Comment

It looks like + lol. Fat fingered plug

Comment

The plug in the back of the boat so you can drain water out? If so, every runabout boat i've ever seen has one. You can buy them at Walmart for $3. I keep a new spare one in the glove box

Comment

Yes by all means do have a spare plug and a spare prop as well along with a spare prop nut, you will soon learn they don't float no matter how many times you try.
                    Over the winter take the time to take a safe boater class, get a small first aid kit and learn to do upkeep on your motor. If your not already skilled then go to an empty parking lot and learn to back up your trailer so you don't make a fool of your self at the ramp. Safe boating with your new toy!!

Comment

Originally posted by Waterwhippin View Post
                      Just got a 17' 1963 glastron off craigslist. Never had this big of a boat, any tips to get me started? I'll be fishing an a somewhat shallow river. Has a 65 5hp evinrude on it
                      What an awesome looking boat! Congratulations!
                      Besides the usual safety stuff that you should already have from your other boat, I'd suggest a color fish finder. They have them at Walmart for a very reasonable price, and it will significantly reduce your chances of striking the prop on the bottom.

Oh - and when you purchase that spare plug, check to make sure it fits!
                      1995 Sea Ray 270DA 7.4L Bravo II

Comment

Thanks! It came with everything including a color depth finder. I have a few spare plugs, but the boat is on the sidelines awaiting a new transom and stringers need bolstered at least.
                        I should get started on that here shortly.

Comment

Working...
                        X