Some people just shouldn't own a boat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ldurmon

Cadet
Yesterday I was on the Neches river with my family running trot lines when a guy in a big nice bass boat tried to swamp me in my little aluminium boat twice. The first time he came running up from behind me and cut me off while I was turning up a branch off of the main river. Then he came back up the branch and passed me head on. The first time I took some water over the bow but the second time could have been much worse but I gassed it. He obviously had no boating courtesy.:mad-new: I was too worried about my family to try and get the numbers off of is boat.

alldodge

Staff member
There are a bunch of them out there, but I call them a-holes. Courtesy is not even in their vocabulary

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I was rafted ip with two others a a basser threw the half plane wake ten foot off our bow now them to our port side the stern. He moved about 100 feet. Snapped my anchor line . He did not like my discussion with him, but he did end up apologizing

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Mod EDIT:
2 wrongs dont make a right, and only by shear luck did you avoid seriously injuring someone. Even if their an idiot, uncalled for.​

Last edited by a moderator:

Kruegs35

Seaman
I know what you mean. I started boating this past spring and I was surprised by lack of courtesy of some people, but I guess it is the same as being on the road. I feel like once some people get outside the no wake zone, then they don't give a crap anymore. But there still are some great boaters out there that balance things out.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Just like operating anything - keep your head on a swivel, and enjoy your time on the water (and on this planet). I don't know why the one post had to be edited, but getting mad and attempting retaliation seldom produces a good outcome. Of course, that's easier said than done, especially in the heat of the moment - so thanks for reminding me to keep cool before I head out this evening...

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
You should have a "conversation" with this moron while at the boart ramp....

Happy Boating

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I can honestly understand wanting to get even, sort a speak, but the best thing to do is ignore them. I know that seems counterproductive, but sooner or later they will get theirs.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I understand in the heat of the moment your family comes first but in the future if possible get the numbers off his boat. Boaters are responsible for their wake. Some years back I had a boater try to swamp my 14' with his 28ft cruiser, actually turned and came across my bow about 10' away while I was anchored fishing. I had this happen many times before so I carried a cheap paintball gun with me. Splattered his hull with paint balls then called the coast guard and gave them the info. When they found the boat with the paint ball splatters they knew they had their man.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Mod EDIT
Generalizing 1 group of watercraft owners, language and lack of respect by others doesnt necessitate risking hurting someone.​

Last edited by a moderator:

brian4321

Petty Officer 1st Class
A few weeks ago one morning my buddy and I went wakeboarding , after my first run we stopped , I climbed on the back of the boat and started pulling the rope in, coiling it around my arm like I always do... My buddy and I were talking about my run not really paying attention to our surroundings and I looked up and this boat was on plane passing us literally 10 feet beside us... I was absolutely shocked and by the time I had my wits about me he was too far away to see his registration number... Luckily for me the rope was out the other side of the boat , that could've been bad if I had half the rope wrapped around my arm and the other end would've wrapped around his prop! We were in the middle of the lake so there was no reason to pass by so close ... I don't know did he simply not see us or what but it sure scared the carp out of us!

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
These idiots think they are showing off. When in fact they are just showing how stupid they are. And when things go bad they always say I don't know what happened

MRS

Commander
Once had a old Popeye looking boat great for fishing just was not a fancy looking boat but I loved it. Had the seal go out and outdrive filled with water so I was trying to make it to the ramp to load was about fifty feet from my trailer to load and would not go any more. Nobody offered help so was ready to jump off with rope to tow in. One guy there with a boat that was probably whought more than my house offshore racing boat. Came over and helped me load thought he was coming over to yell at me.šŸ˜¬ There are good people out there just not enough of them sometimes.

cwburkeva

Seaman Apprentice
PWC's are as bad - had a kid come within 10 ft of me; got to the ramp and his dad was on the dock - so I asked him how old the kid was. Response "10yrs old" to which I said he was unsafe and under the age in VA to operate a PWC.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
PWC operators I find are the worst. Maybe because most are younger but stupidity has no age. Boating on such a large lake as Erie I don't find many problems until everyone wants to troll the same square mile of water because someone caught a fish and there ends up being 30 boats with 300 feet of line out. Or people anchored fishing for perch and a guy pulls between you and the boat next to you that is 20 feet away. Close enough that you can hear every word of their conversation. They can hear mine to and I oblige with some smart ass comment. Like "Man lucky Pete isn't here, remember when that boat pulled up so close to us he stepped into the guys boat and he threw him overboard?" To which my partner replies " That wasn't Pete that was me!!".

gm280

Supreme Mariner
There will always be courteous boaters and the disgruntle type on any body of water. That is sad, but true.JMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.