Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowline knot

Hi!
    Is the bowline knot a safe not to use when tieing a 18ft bowrider to a dock cleat? I know that when a bowline is under a load it is strong but due to waves, the rope can become loose. Will a bowline be good still? Thanks
    1996 Chaparral 1830 SST, 2002 Sea-Doo Sportster LE, 1997 Seadoo Challenger (SOLD), 2002 Seadoo GTX Millenium Edition, 2004 Seadoo GTI, 2007 Seadoo GTI 155 4-tec , 1997 Seadoo GTX

No knot needed. Use a cleat hitch. In case the pics don't show, the link - http://www.boatsafe.com/marlinespike/cleathitch.htm

BOAT SPECS FORUM HELP STARCRAFT FORUM SHOP iboats
    Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
    That is what the forums are for.
    Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Ok, Thanks, but if I were to make a loop is that a safe knot that I can trust?
      1996 Chaparral 1830 SST, 2002 Sea-Doo Sportster LE, 1997 Seadoo Challenger (SOLD), 2002 Seadoo GTX Millenium Edition, 2004 Seadoo GTI, 2007 Seadoo GTI 155 4-tec , 1997 Seadoo GTX

Comment

When its appropriate... a bowline is the king of knots. it holds with or without load. It will not let the loop change size. It even holds on line types that tend to slip with other knots.
        And its relatively easy to untie even after being exposed to high tension.

Its great for dropping a line over a bollard.
        But its the wrong knot for a cleat.
        Last edited by fhhuber; March 27th, 2016, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GA_Boater View Post
          No knot needed. Use a cleat hitch. In case the pics don't show, the link - http://www.boatsafe.com/marlinespike/cleathitch.htm

This was the first knot i was taught and still 99 percent of what i use.
          1979 Carver Montego 2357 | 260 Mercruiser upgraded to Alpha | 2006 Nissan 15hp kicker

Girls cry and boys fart in front of friends, but girls fart and boys cry in front of true friends.

Comment

Yeah that knot on the pictures is the first I learned too and I use it most of the time. Thanks for the additional info

Comment

animated how-to on any boating knot http://www.animatedknots.com/indexbo...hp#ScrollPoint
              1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
              1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
              2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheasheads in Paradise"
              1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Originally posted by SeaDooSam View Post
                Ok, Thanks, but if I were to make a loop is that a safe knot that I can trust?
                One of the lines I have on board has a bowline in one end. I use it to tie to all sorts of stuff (including cleats), and so far I haven't re-tied it in about 3 years Bowline is a great knot you can trust, when tied correctly.
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_270443_1499813187632_202[/ATTACH]

Comment

If I'm really paranoid about slipping, I throw an extra half hitch on the bowline. I used to know all kinds of knots, but now use a bowline 99% of the time.
                  sigpic
                  '86 Glastron Conroy X-19, Merc 170
                  '04 Carolina Skiff J14, 25 hp Mercury
                  Richmond/Montross, VA

Comment

Working...
                  X