Boat Handling Guide decal

Todd in NY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have one of these decals on my helm, and it's about 4"x6". It's a nice reminder for boaters who are met with boating traffic and/or navigational markers that they may not encounter on a regular basis. I try to avoid crowded lakes and rivers because I don't like when other boaters act like they own the waterway and have the right of way at all times. I am not a pleasure boater, I am a fisherman. If my boat is in the water I am fishing, so I like peaceful surroundings. I am usually on lakes that have no navigational markers and very little boat traffic. But I'll venture out on the bigger waters now that I have a boat that can handle Lake Ontario.

These are available as a free download on Boat U S under the brochures section, and I believe you can even order 100 of them as decals to hand out. This is a photo of the one on my helm.

I know that we shouldn't "need" a decal or sticker on our helm to remind us of the boating rules of the road, but it would be nice to have some of these on hand for those casual boaters who think they are too good to take a free boaters safety course and therefore don't know the real boating rules of the road.

If it makes any of us safer on the water, then it is worth it in my book. I saw another thread where a forum member was asking about these types of decals but I can find that thread now. 'Edit: As an reference point of this thread, the following link is of the archived thread I recalled seeing, http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gener...ash-pics/page2 Boat Handling Guide decal.jpg

I just ordered 50 of these decals free of charge. I could have ordered 100 but I don't want to be greedy. Now I can hand them out to those rude know-it-all boaters :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Todd in NY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The new decals came in, and they were absolutely free, not even shipping and handling charges. They have a new look to them now, and 3 decals come on each "card". Here is what they look like now. The "Assistance Call" and "Emergency Call" decals are the other 2 decals attached with the "Nautical Rules of the Road" decal.
0821151630-1_resized.jpg

Last edited:

littlerayray

Lieutenant
I was looking over your sticker and it says "assistance call procedures soft grounding, dead battery, out of fuel or flat tire call tow boat us or vessel assist .

I never checked the psi for my boat didn't even know my boat had tires :noidea::jaw::faint2::D:laugh::sorry:

Todd in NY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Maybe they are referring to those dual purpose amphibious military type boats :eek:

Thanks for the early morning humor :)

littlerayray

Lieutenant
No problem I like to laugh and be funny ask my gf oh I think the tire is right beside the brake fluid

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Boat US also has trailer towing insurance for an additional $18 or so. The sticker is dual purpose

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Unfortunately, this leads to Boat Operator Licensing. Which, personally, I HAVE NO ISSUE with.

The license does not guarantee safe operating, it just make it easier to prosecute the blatant violators.

Todd in NY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not to mention, it's one more fee that we would have to pay, on top of boat title and registration. I'm ok with not having a license requirement. Like you said, a license won't make us any safer than mandatory boater safety courses. It's always up to the operator to be safe and courteous.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Like you said, a license won't make us any safer than mandatory boater safety courses. It's always up to the operator to be safe and courteous.
Good point, just look at all the people out there with automobile drivers licenses...

drpepper68

Seaman
I looked and looked but cant find any decal under "resources" on that site. Can anyone post a link or give me a little direction?

Todd in NY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I haven't been on the forum recently. I didn't know they stopped sending out those stickers. Here's a link to their web site explaining that you can print these free PDF documents. http://www.boatus.org/brochures/boat...-brochures.asp

This link below explains that some "brochures" are still available for ordering but I don't know which ones.
http://www.boatus.org/brochures/boat...ety-brochures/

I clicked on the link to order brochures and it looks like an individual or organization might still be able to order the decals. I haven't tried since their recent policy change, so I might be wrong. But it has a space for you to order those decals and put the quantity in the box on the right side of the order form. This looks like the same form I used to order my decals this summer.
http://www.boatus.org/brochures/boating-safety-brochures/order.asp

I hope this helps.

Last edited: