Boat trip NYC towards Montauk any thoughts ?

griggsmars

Petty Officer 3rd Class
A buddy and I are planning to take my 22' cuddy cabin from NYC towards Montauk Point. We have about 4 days to do the trip and don't necessarily need to make it all the way to Montauk as we want to enjoy ourselves along the way. We would like to find a hotel each night and check out any local bars, and sights. Any info on places we should stop or check out would be great. We want to do a little of everything, stop for lunches, a little fishing, beaches, parties meet some of the locals etc. We are very experienced boaters and love an adventure, but also want to relax and have some fun. If anyone knows a better adventure in the area Like going up the Hudson, let me know, I have no set plans. Thanks Griggsmars, Shark River, N.J.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
I have been up the Hudson, through the canals, and down the St. Lawrence all the way to Eisenhower lock. It takes significantly more than 4 days though Beautiful trip but I understand that now the Chambly canal has a fee to use it. Troy lock is free and opens on the hour but the Champlain canal May also have a fee now.

griggsmars

Petty Officer 3rd Class
One of these summers I would love to get to the St Lawrence, sounds awesome. We are leaning towards going up the Hudson and will probably just try to make it to the Troy lock. Take 3 days going up, then return. We will probably sleep on the boat, but do you know of any hotels near a restaurant / bar where we can enjoy some food and beverages. I've read that Haverstraw has a nice marina. Thanks,

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Well, it was 30 years ago so I'm sure things have changed. Probably for the better. I think it is the New York Dept of Conservation or it could be the agency that registers boats--I don't remember, But you should still be able to buy a book of charts for the entire Hudson and a matching booklet on fuel stations, eateries, and hotels. Definitely buy the charts because there are some notable areas--Esopus Flats--where you must follow the channel. Run straight and you will run aground.

Three days going up is plenty if you want to do some sightseeing but coming back will only take one good day running. Very definitely historic and lots of history along the river. In the lower reaches be prepared for rough water. It can get choppy.

I put in at Peekskill but there is an improved public ramp near Tarrytown and another ay Hudson so you really have a wide choice of where to start