Boating in Canada, what do I need to know ?

MercGuy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello All,

This summer I will be trailering my boat to up North, through Michigan and I will end up boating in Canadian waters (Launching in Sault Ste Marie).

Does anybody have any advice as to what laws and or regulations I need to be aware of ?

First thought on my mind is that I'm not sure if I need a license to use my handheld Marine radio. I looked at a few websites, and I'm still not sure !!

Let me know what I need to do to stay out of jail... :) :)

Thanks !!

cdnNick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've found a lot of helpful stuff on this website: http://boating.ncf.ca/ this page will probably help a lot: http://boating.ncf.ca/canadaborder.html

In Canada boaters need licences to use a VHF radio: an optional licence for the radio and a mandatory licence for the operator. There is a "short" VHF channel list and an emergency "Mayday" sheet for your crew.

Other Canadian Regulations for foreign boaters:
The Canadian Coast Guard's Office of Boating Safety [Government directory: Transport Canada] lists the requirements for foreign recreational vessels in Canadian waters. Boats staying in Canada less than 45 days are exempt from most regulations for safety equipment if the boat is legally fitted and licenced in its home state. Visitors must follow most other Canadian boating regulations such as speed limits, operator age and power restrictions, drinking and driving laws, VHF radio station licence, marine radio operator licence. Visitors must also comply with provincial regulations for boat toilets and sewage.

82rude

Rear Admiral
I live in sault ste marie Ontario.Any questions about the area or?

Bondo

Staff member
Hello All,

This summer I will be trailering my boat to up North, through Michigan and I will end up boating in Canadian waters (Launching in Sault Ste Marie).

Does anybody have any advice as to what laws and or regulations I need to be aware of ?

First thought on my mind is that I'm not sure if I need a license to use my handheld Marine radio. I looked at a few websites, and I'm still not sure !!

Let me know what I need to do to stay out of jail... :) :)

Thanks !!

Ayuh,..... Donno how it's gonna work out that way, but the Canadian Customs has changed their rules in the 1000 Islands areas,....

I posted links to local news stories in general boatin',....

MercGuy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just an update, I finished my trip and had a great time.

My understanding of the immigration rules are that one can boat back and fort across the border w/o incident until you step foot on ground, then you must register. Canada allowed registration by phone. As soon as we docked up in Canada the dock hands asked us if we had registered and upon finding out that we had not they advised us to proceed directly to the public phone and call the number that was posted. We were also advised to say that we walked directly to the phone which took 5 minutes.

When I called the customs official was less than friendly and peppered me with questions. He asked how long I had been in Canada and I told him I walked straight from my boat to the phone which took about 5 minutes. There was a short pause of judgement and then the questions continued. Nothing friendly happened during that call.

Returning to the US was quite the adventure. To re-enter the US you must dock at a port with a DHS station for a personal interrogation. When we docked the dockhand warned us not to DARE step out of the boat on to the dock. That was considered illegally entering the US. In a low voice he told me that he had seen people who had stepped on the dock detained for hours. So I called the DHS and requested that an officer check us in. He gruffly told us that he would be by and that we should NOT step out of the boat on to the dock. He eventually came to see us and after he was satisfied that we understood who was in charge we were granted the honor of returning to our country.

Next time I'm boating all the way around to Mexico, donning a sombrero and simply walking across the boarder... :)

MercGuy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes customs has gotten really strict since 9/11 and it's not getting any better

Yeah, and the frustrating part is that it's the honest people that suffer. I mean for crying out loud we are voluntarily checking in. Does anyone really think that a criminal or someone with ill intent would voluntarily boat out of their way to check into customs ?? The odds are almost zero that anyone would have know if we simply returned to our launch ramp and drove away.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Oh they know I went to bold castle last summer I launched at a ramp that was unsupervised and upon return my cellphone died I stopped at Rockport for supper and saw to cbsa agents I aproached them saying we just returned from the us and I wanted to check in. They told me to just call in when I got home well I did and holy man I got the third degree on that one and was told they will let it slide this time but next time they were gonna arrest me and impound my boat

TRAILN

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You need a VHF license to transmit. No license required just to listen.

If you make it down to Lake Ontario, you will need a special license for the Toronto harbor area. The police check boats very frequently.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
If you make it down to Lake Ontario, you will need a special license for the Toronto harbor area.
I just looked it up wow that's a money grab if I've ever seen one note to self don't take boat to the big T.O.