Who Knows the Ocklawaha River?

Status
Not open for further replies.

series9

Seaman Apprentice
I'm interested in exploring new places in Florida by boat. I'm thinking of a trip up the St. Johns from Deland to the juncture of the Cross-Florida Barge Canal and then lock through to the Rodman reservoir.

I'm familiar with the St. Johns, but would like to know if my Pro-line 22 Sport (+30" bracket and Suzuki 225) would be compatible with the Ocklawaha, or if it's too big for safe navigation of that waterway.

Thanks!

robert graham

Admiral
I know it very well from the St. John's River 9 miles up to the Rodman dam/reservoir.....above there, I've not travelled...It's a very beautiful River but plenty of logs and stumps in parts, so take it slow and easy, keep an eye on your depth finder....don't want to mess up a prop or skeg.....good luck!

series9

Seaman Apprentice
I have read about the treachery of the Rodman reservoir. Is it safe to run fast in the barge channel across the lake, or is the whole thing "slow and easy"?

robert graham

Admiral
Well, I generally take it sorta easy in these waters since there can be old cypress stumps and logs that may have been washed out of the woods during heavy rains....Every now and then I'll bump something under the surface that didn't even show up in that brackish water and glad I was at idle/slow speed and not tearing anything up....The Ocklawaha has underwater logging operations going on since there's still plenty of old cypress "sinkers" still laying around down there....pretty cool the way they find the logs with side scan sonar and scuba gear, then winch them up to the barges....get $1000 each for a good log!.....you'll love this area, lots to see and do!. Head south to lake George, Salt Springs, Silver Glen Springs, Astor, Hontoons, Blue Springs, High Banks, Sanford....lots to do!

series9

Seaman Apprentice
I'm actually familiar with the St. Johns. I'm looking to get up into the Silver River and points south on the Ocklawaha.

FrizFreleng

Seaman
Well, if you want to cruise the Ocklawaha from the St. Johns you will have to head a few miles north of Welaka to the Cross Florida Barge Canal. About a mile into the canal are the Buckman Locks which will lift you up to the Rodman Reservoir. The locks have an inconvenient schedule so look on the internet or call in advance. From there it is all upstream to Moss Bluff Lock maybe 30 miles of semi-tropical jungle. Very, very little in the way of civilization. Maybe 10 miles before Moss Bluff is the Silver River (run) right after you go under SR 40. It is maybe a 6 mile run up to Silver Springs. It is now a state park. The run and springs are crystal clear water. Anyhow after Moss Bluff it is a easy WOT run to Lake Griffin. About half way up Lake Griffin is Haines Creek (5 miles) leading to Lake Eustis. There is a lock on the Haines Creek. The Lock Master goes on liberty at 1700. From Lake Eustis take the mile long Dora Canal to Lake Dora. and then to the picturesque town of Mount Dora. Take a look on Google Earth for a better idea. Now there are a few boat ramps you can use to avoid the Buckman Locks. There is one on Rodman Reservoir, Orange Springs, SR 40 ( called something Wayside), and Moss Bluff and maybe others.

Fair winds and following seas, Friz

Last edited:

robert graham

Admiral
Well, if you want to cruise the Ocklawaha from the St. Johns you will have to head a few miles north of Welaka to the Cross Florida Barge Canal. About a mile into the canal are the Buckman Locks which will lift you up to the Rodman Reservoir. The locks have an inconvenient schedule so look on the internet or call in advance. From there it is all upstream to Moss Bluff Lock maybe 30 miles of semi-tropical jungle. Very, very little in the way of civilization. Maybe 10 miles before Moss Bluff is the Silver River (run) right after you go under SR 40. It is maybe a 6 mile run up to Silver Springs. It is now a state park. The run and springs are crystal clear water. Anyhow after Moss Bluff it is a easy WOT run to Lake Griffin. About half way up Lake Griffin is Haines Creek (5 miles) leading to Lake Eustis. There is a lock on the Haines Creek. The Lock Master goes on liberty at 1700. From Lake Eustis take the mile long Dora Canal to Lake Dora. and then to the picturesque town of Mount Dora. Take a look on Google Earth for a better idea. Now there are a few boat ramps you can use to avoid the Buckman Locks. There is one on Rodman Reservoir, Orange Springs, SR 40 ( called something Wayside), and Moss Bluff and maybe others.

Fair winds and following seas, Friz

Makes me want to head to Welaka and run that part of the river....what's the deal with those locks?...sounds like you might get stuck waiting on the lock guy?...

series9

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks Friz. Once through the Buckman lock, what would you consider the maximum safe speed across Rodman and on to Moss Bluff?

FrizFreleng

Seaman
We have only done this trip once and in only one direction. The Buckman Locks only opened in the morning to early afternoon as I recall. We left Welaka and were at the locks mid-morning. As I recall there were several other craft there when we arrived so I don't remember much of a wait until the locks closed, flooded and lifted us up to Rodman aka Lake Oklawaha. If you follow the channel of the original Oklawaha River you can pretty much chose your speed. Bass boats flew by us. Lake Ocklawaha is maybe 10 miles long. When it narrows into the river is were you slow down. The next 10 miles are very crooked. We probably did no more than 10 MPH but then we were on our pontoon and the journey is as important as the destination. We did not see one other boat on this leg. And it was a beautiful journey. When you get to SR 40 you will see the Silver Springs Run on your right. Must do side trip is up the Silver Run to the springs. It flows through WMA so there are absolutely no houses. It is relatively narrow but deep and crystal clear. South of SR40 then Oklawaha straightens out and crusing at 20 mph would be no problem. About another 10 miles is Moss Bluff. No wait again at the locks. I believe they operate 7 - 7 7 days a week but don't quote me. After Moss Bluff the river really straightens out and WOT is no problem if so inclined. Next the river gradually widens into Lake Griffin. A few miles down the lake on the eastern shore is Haines Creek. That will connect you to Lake Eustis. About mid way on Haines creek are the Burrell Locks. Once again, pretty much open on demand but no service after 1700. Leaving Haines Creek we headed SE across Lake Eustis to the Dora Canal. After thaty is was across Lake Dora and Little Lake Dora and we tied up at the public marina at Mount Dora. By then it was late afternoon and any thought of a return trip that day was impossible. We stayed the night, finding lodging on the waterfront was no problem. The next day we decided it would be doubtful if we could make the Buckman Locks by early afternoon. Instead we called a friend who drove down to the town of Eustis on the north end of Lake Eustis. We cruised back across Lake Dora and Lake Eustis to the Eustis public ramp. We drove back up to Welaka, retrieved the truck and trailer and drove back to Eustis to recover the boat.

Last edited:

C2av8r

Recruit
Ok. Just took a 21’ skeeter, 150 hp, advertised as10” draft, from Jacksonville Florida to lake Dora(3/21/2019) 3 locks...Buckman, St Johns river to Rodman reservoir. Moss bluff..from Ocklawaha river to Lake Griffin. and a small lock on Haynes creek from Griffin to Lake Eustis. The challenge was the Ocklawaha..the state used to clear this river but decided that the funding was no longer worth it. Then, for a few years, a group of volunteers would clear it, the state decided it was a potential liability and told them to cease. Since then there have been a few large wind events and there at least 15-20 trees that span the river. Took,me 9 1/2 hrs for the entire trip. (That’s Jax to Dora) A saner person would have quit after the first obstacle. The river was at 4.00 on the few measuring sticks I came across, forbwhat thats worth. Many tree crossings were very tough. Motor up, and pulling my boat across with great effort. If the river was 2” lower, and I doubt I could have made it. I had to use an axe/hatchet a number of times, an electric chainsaw would have come in handy. This is no longer navigable. Maybe for a Johnboat or canoe. Hit a few submerged obstacles too. Very slow going. With that said, one of the coolest things I have done in a boat. Seriously, not a good idea tho... I had my bro-in-law bring my truck and trailer down to Dora. No way was I gonna risk the trip back to Jax. Throw a prop on the obstacles, with no cell coverage(for a few hours) and you’re gator bait.

Status
Not open for further replies.