Pontoon boating in Clearwater, FL?

I am moving to the Clearwater area soon. I want to get a pontoon boat as soon as I can. Looking at Google maps, it looks like there are no good sized lakes to use a pontoon boat. Tampa bay of course looks plenty big, but is it safe for pontoons? Am I overlooking any lakes good for pontoon boating?
Thanks in advance.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I see a few 'toons now and then in the ICW on calm days. There are plenty of inland lakes further inland to the east of Clearwater.

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Lots of pontoons on ICW, the bay gets crappy if it's windy, lake tarpon is nice sized fairly clean water lake

SamuelP63

Seaman Apprentice
I am moving to the Clearwater area soon. I want to get a pontoon boat as soon as I can. Looking at Google maps, it looks like there are no good sized lakes to use a pontoon boat. Tampa bay of course looks plenty big, but is it safe for pontoons? Am I overlooking any lakes good for pontoon boating?
Thanks in advance.

Tampa bay is fine for a pontoon. As stated above, it gets choppy on windy days. Just check the weather before you head out.

Also, in Florida you can count on short, daily, afternoon showers during the summer.