Advise Please

glust

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I own a SUNTRACKER party hut 30 with a swim platform on top. Spent two years working on it and FINALLY have all the bugs worked out and now it is time to enjoy her. 140 HP johnson Crossflow. I have it slipped for the last 2 years out at Buckeye Lake outside of Columbus, Ohio. Buckeye Lake is a man-made reservoir for the canal system that used to run through Ohio. Average depth is about 6 feet. Some parts deeper, some not so much. The Army Corp of Engineers just deemed that earthen dam to be in danger of collapse. The Governor has vowed to fix the dam, (up to 150 million and 5 years), and until that time the lake will remain at winter fill which is about three feet below where it is normally. I am in the deeper part of the lake and my pontoon drafts about 18 inches. If you have had experience with this do I retain the slip? (A fantastic location), or risk letting it go and not getting it back? Lake officials say that most hulled boats might have problems, but pontooners should be ok if they know where they are on the lake. Anybody been in a similar pickle? Anybody want to mention something I may not be considering? I'm feeling like I don't have enough information to make this decision. Thanks everyone

Last edited:

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I slip on a creek off of the Ohio River. I have to go under a portion of a railroad trussel which most don't because of the pilot house. Sometimes it's only 2 to 2 1/2' deep. Assuming your engine is a 2 stroke, you can trim it quite a bit as long as the water intake is still under water. I'd get a depth finder and you may even look into getting a manual jack plate.