Exploring Mt. Desert Island, Maine, or Elsewhere

ggray

Seaman
After good trips trailering our wooden skiff up to the Thousand Islands, L Placid, and the Saran Lakes, and then more recently, down to SW Florida and SE FL, we are wondering if we would have fun trailering up to Maine this summer and doing the same. We will have with us two dogs, which usually complicates things.

One concern is the huge tide range which I would think precludes anchoring off a beach (which may not be available there anyway) and wading in.

Does anyone who has been there think this would be a good idea? Any suggestions or alternatives? Talking about up to a week time period.

Thanks!

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... While some town docks ain't so transient boater friendly,....
Aka; downtown Bar Harbor, I couldn't dock, 'n go ashore in my 221 Starcraft,...
The boats there, were more Ships, 'n there was a dingy corral for gettin' in, or out to the moored Cruisers,...
Fog can also be an issue at times,.... usually burns off though,...

There Are lots, 'n lots of boat launches for trailer boats,... Towns, Counties, the State, All have public launches, all over the area,.....
I've used Lamoine Point State Park, 'n the Town dock in downtown Searsport on Penobscot Bay, a fellow iboater lives there,...

Tides do run High, 'n Low, ya sometimes gotta pay attention, though the launches I've used are usable at All tides,...

There Are beaches(Saltwater), but not boat to beaches, that I know of,... Thousands of freshwater beaches,...

There's also oodles of freshwater ponds, 'n lakes well within 20/ 30 miles of the island,....
'bout any water that's fishable, 'n boatable, has a launch on it, usually free,...
There's also Echo lake, On the island with beaches, donno if it's boatable, or not,....

'n I believe ya gotta buy a Maine state issued exotic spieces sticker for any trailer boat, used in freshwater,...

Last edited:

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
'n I believe ya gotta buy a Maine state issued exotic spieces sticker for any trailer boat, used in freshwater,...

We call it a milfoil sticker and it's $20. I heard you can get them at stores now, in the past, you had to get them at a town hall.

ggray

Seaman
there was a dingy corral for gettin' in, or out to the moored Cruisers,...

Bondo, thanks for the info. I assume by this you mean the dinghy dock is packed with dinghies?

And thanks for alerting me about the sticker. I found that you can buy this online.

Bondo

Staff member
Bondo, thanks for the info. I assume by this you mean the dinghy dock is packed with dinghies?

And thanks for alerting me about the sticker. I found that you can buy this online.

Ayuh,.... What I saw was the tiny dock available, 'bout 30' long, had a floatin' roped off area, 'bout 20'x the 30', in which you'd run yer dingy over the rope, to the dock, 'n step off onto the dock,...
Then all the dingy's just sit inside the coral, til somebody retrieved their dingy,... not tied up, but coraled,...

I Guess, the Harbormaster would assign a moorin' ball, 'n folks on the small ships would dingy in to the dock,...
No tie ups, no slips, no dockage for boats like ours,...

Of course, Bar Harbor is the ultimate "Tourist Trap", that caters to the Ubers, 'n flithy Rich,....

There are other towns, 'n villages that cater more to the common folk,....