Lake Shasta, California 2015

chrisj13

Cadet
Looking at branching out this year, and take the family to Lake Shasta for a week during June timeframe. Any good advice? Where to launch, where to camp, marinas with showers and/or good food....Never been there before (except NB I-5!) and am looking forward to it!

Bigreddon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi Chris!! I'm up in portland, and have also driven by Shasta probably a hundred times. Went there as a kid an rented a houseboat. Is really make sure to check the water levels this year. It was really low in January, and with the drought going on, I imagine it's only going to get lower. In fact, I saw the docks sitting on the lake floor last time I drove by...

sam60

Captain
I hope that this drought doesn't get so bad that Merle Haggard WOULD swim Kern River again.

Serious stuff out west.

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
yea,I was going to book Shasta but the water level concerns me.I like to cruise,but running into sand bars every day doesn't seem like fun.There are a bunch of marinas on the lake and it is huge and beautiful.We rented houseboats out of Holiday Harbor but that was long ago.Fishing was good as I recall.We are going back to Almanor this summer but Shasta will be happening when the rain comes back.

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Just got back from Shasta,its at 60% capacity.95' or so from the spillway.Historical average is 70%.That lake is so immense that I will no longer worry about the level.It was full just two years ago.You can pull up to the shore and not even raise the drive in most spots.USFS has obstacles marked well.We cruised most of the week and its deep and wide.The marinas have moved all their docks and most of them are in 40-60' of water. Rainbows were running at 70'.