Boating In South Carolina

Begester

Petty Officer 1st Class
I?m about to move to Charleston, SC and would like to learn a little bit more about the boating there to determine if I have the ?right boat? for the area.

I currently reside in the Seattle area and enjoy overnight trips at the many destinations that the Puget Sound and San Juan Islands have to offer. We currently have a 24 foot Searay Cabin Cruiser which suits the wife and I well for our 1-3 night weekend warrior trips. We like spending time at the marinas, hiking, walking around the quaint towns, etc. We also benefit from the calmer waters due to the fact that the Sound itself is fairly protected. The boat is on a trailer so we?re not ?stuck? to the water?also a plus for us. We?re not much into fishing.

My biggest question?can I expect a similar experience in the Charleston area? In looking at the nautical charts..the biggest thing I recognized is that the waters around there aren?t as protected and tend to be SHALLOW in a lot of places. Is it possible to ?marina hop? around there like it is in the Pacific NW? The intercoastal runs through Charleston, but a quick (and uneducated) look at the area didn?t have central locations or major points of interest beyond Charleston?is this correct?

Any insight into the boating lifestyle in the lowcountry is greatly appreciated!

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Port Royal Sound near Beaufort and the area around Hilton Head would probably have suitable conditions. Its also not far down to Savannah and the Georgia sea islands. There are a number of big reservoirs in South Carolina as well. The 24 ft cabin cruiser should be fine as long as the AC is good.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
don't know anything about NC but welcome to the South. My folks have a place on Lake Washington and on Lopez up there.

robert graham

Admiral
The intracoastal waterway runs the full length of South Carolina so you'll have access to plenty of cruising destinations....nice trips might be from Charleston north to Myrtle Beach or south to Beaufort....buy some charts so you can explore up the Ashley, Cooper, Santee, Combahee, Edisto, Ashepoo Rivers....lots of beautiful scenery and wildlife...springtime and early summer are great, but July and August will be hot, humid, lots of bugs.....Charleston harbor is pretty to cruise and see the waterfront area....Remley's Point/boat ramp is a nice open public ramp and it's protected from the currents for easy launching. Shem Creek is the big public gathering area with restaurants/bars/lodging, etc....Hope you folks enjoy our fine state!...

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
oh yeah part of my welcome to the south is welcome to bugs. nothing like you've experienced unless you've spent time down here.

southkogs

Staff member
Charleston is beautiful. I've not been on the water too much except out to and around Ft. Sumpter, but the maps looked like there's plenty for a 24' to ramble about.

Bugs maybe ... you've not had hot and humid like Charleston in July & August. Wow.

Begester

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks everyone for the great insight! Looks like there is no shortage of places to explore and we cant wait!

robert graham

Admiral
Yep, and don't let the bug stuff worry you too much....they're mostly around grassy shore areas and mostly in the late afternoon/evening....out on the water you shouldn't be bothered much....now the heat and humidity can get pretty brutal in August when it can go so darn sultry and humid all you want is some air conditioning....You're gonna love Charleston!....