Finger Lakes

eastont

Chief Petty Officer
We are planning a trip from Kingston, Ontario to the Finger Lakes next summer and need some information.

First, I understand there are only 3 lakes accessible via the Erie Canal.

Just in case we don't have enough time to see all, of the 3, which one is the least desirable to see....i.e. scenic and boat friendly.

To have an enjoyable and easy going holiday, how much time should I plan for.

We will be sleeping on the boat every night and eating on the boat most nights.

Is there any place that is a "must see"?

Thanks in advance

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
I cannot give you first-hand experience, but have heard Seneca Lake is beautiful, but does not have much in the way of facilities and can whip up pretty good.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
east. the lakes you want to tour are (as garbageguy said) Seneca, and Cayuga.... there is a canal connecting both of those together on the north end.. Both lakes are beautiful!! I think the other one that connects to Erie is Onieda Lake,, that's north of Syracuse NY,, stay out of that one......its shallow, and frankly not much to look at, the terrain around it is flat and unappealing. Seneca and Cayuga being glacier lakes have awesome views. I have been on Seneca and Cayuga a bunch,, if your into fishing,,, they are both outstanding, with that said, I'd give the nod to Seneca Lake for fishing,, as to boat friendly? any of the Finger Lakes are very boat friendly, they are very deep glacier lakes,, they literally will go from bank shore to 100 ft deep in less than 100 ft from shore in spots.... Cayuga and Seneca both are 400-600 ft in depth in spots, they both have large park/hard ramp launches on the north end of each lake... google it up, there's a listing of launch sites on the NYS DEC site.. if you want to take another trip to another one of the Finger Lakes, go to Skaneateles Lake. no joke, the water clarity is amazing.. it's the most beautiful finger lake in the state in my view...snorkeling is awesome, swim with the fish!,, it's like being in a pool...there is a public dock at the north end, tie up walk into town and get a bite to eat,,, it's awesome, ..it's not connected to Cayuga or Seneca, it's land locked....Pres Clinton summer vacationed there (Skaneateles),, the homes around the lake are awesome. I drag my boat up there bout 10 times per summer....my favorite finger lake.. have fun and enjoy the NYS Finger Lakes!

as to how much time,, both Seneca and Cayuga are 30+ miles long, generally anywhere from 1-3 miles wide... drop into Seneca first out of the Erie Canal, prob take a few days to get around it,, then out the canal to Cayuga... you could probably get the whole thing done nicely in a week... taking your time... both parks at the north end of each lake are state parks and offer over night slips if u want....

have fun!! God scratched the ground with his hand in Upstate NY,, wow!! a boaters paradise up there,,, Im glad Im only 1 hr away from most of em

Last edited:

superbenk

Commander
I grew up on Canandaigua Lake & we vacation there every summer. Wish I lived up there again because the whole area is gorgeous! Canandaigua is also land locked but has similar features mentioned about Skeneatles (never been on that one). There are a couple restaurants on Canandaigua lake & it's 17mi x 1.5mi. I envy your trip, enjoy!

eastont

Chief Petty Officer
We will be travelling by boat so to see any land locked lake is impossible and so would trailering our 36 foot boat be impossible...LOL

I just received the Finger Lakes information brochure in the mail, it's the 2014 version but I'm sure not much will have changed except dates of events.

And we can investigate more as our travel dates become cast in stone.

I'm wishing the winter would just fly by and away we will go.

At a Christmas open house tonight another couple who are friends and also boat are interested in joining us, but I'll make sure it wasn't the Christmas cheer talking...heh, heh, heh

CJ River Rider

Petty Officer 3rd Class
.. if you want to take another trip to another one of the Finger Lakes, go to Skaneateles Lake. no joke, the water clarity is amazing.. it's the most beautiful finger lake in the state in my view...snorkeling is awesome, swim with the fish!,, it's like being in a pool...there is a public dock at the north end, tie up walk into town and get a bite to eat,,, it's awesome, ..it's not connected to Cayuga or Seneca, it's land locked....Pres Clinton summer vacationed there (Skaneateles),, the homes around the lake are awesome. I drag my boat up there bout 10 times per summer....my favorite finger lake.. have fun and enjoy the NYS Finger Lakes!

have fun!! God scratched the ground with his hand in Upstate NY,, wow!! a boaters paradise up there,,, Im glad Im only 1 hr away from most of em

Skaneateles Lake, good to know, thanks very much for the info. Did Seneca a few years back launching out of Burdett/Watkins Glen and always wanted to go back or try Cayuga out of Allan Treman State Marine Park. Going to check it out.

Where do you launch?

Last edited:

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
NYS DEC has a nice public launch on Rt 41A on the West side of the lake. Rt 41 is on the East side, 41A launch is about 3 miles south of the town of Skaneateles

On a more interesting note.. if your a NY Yankee fan.. Derek Jeter has recently (allegedly) purchased a lake house on Skaneateles. Might see him kicking around town this summer.......he's likely to draw a crowd... sort of supports my point of that lake being a beauty.......

CJ River Rider

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the info. With the sunless dreary weather we're having down here, it gives me something to look forward to!

Derek Jeter..., we have Jon Bon Jovi waterfront here on the Navesink but me or anyone I know has never actually seen him.

Last edited: