Cedar Key FL boat Ramp

FrizFreleng

Seaman
So, what gives with the boat launching situation at Cedar Key, FL? We have been going to Cedar Key for years to eat, Quaint place,very laid back and hospitable. Finally decided to drag my pontoon over from Gainesville. Looked online an saw the town wants $12 to use their ramp. I have launched up and down the Gulf and the inter-coastal on the Atlantic. I have never paid more than $5 and most of the time zip at a municipal/county/state ramp. Is there an alternate launch site in the area or does the fair burg of Cedar Key have a monopoly and are sticking it to the boating public?

Last edited by a moderator:

robert graham

Admiral
The inner and outer ramps at Cedar Key are about the only ones unless you want to launch back up at #2 bridge ramp....You may have noticed that the inner Cedar Key marina area is pretty near full of black pluff mud/silt and not useful for much at low tide....they dredged it out about 5 years ago but had to haul all that muck back on the mainland to dump it so none found it's way out to the clam farms....it was all pretty darn time consuming and expensive so my guess is the city is trying to save their dollars for the next dredging....which it really needs to do now.....But Cedar Key being the backward little place that it is...who knows?.....I personally never put my boat in there because of all the shallow water/mud banks/oyster bars....I do put my canoe in with a 3HP motor....pretty handy for getting where the fish are hiding.....

robert graham

Admiral
Another idea...you could drag your rig up to Fowlers Bluff ramp on the Suwannee River....cruise the river up to Santa Fe River or down to Suwannee to have lunch....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Inquire about a season pass if you use the town ramp often.. If you launch there once or twice a year, pay the extra money. Boating isn't cheap any more.

FrizFreleng

Seaman
Dadgumit! I have been a Naval Officer, war hero, aspiring southern gentleman and now I am an undesirable! "I just don't get no respect". C'est la vie I suppose.
Anyhow, we had lunch at Steamers on Friday and had a look around. Unfortunately, the ramp at bridge #2 is a no go for the pontoon - mud flat at low tide. The inner basin looked pretty much the same at low tide. Docked boats on their sides waiting for high tide. Best option looks like the outer ramp. Called city hall this morning. Lisa verified the ramp charge is $12 but offered a "season" pass for $180 (10/1 - 9/30) with a pro ration of $10/month. Not $15 but $10 (Commom Core math I guess). Now if you are a property owner, not just a resident but TAX paying property owner La Mordida is $10 for a season pass. So, as I would probably not launch there more than 4 or 5 times a year I will just have to ante up the $12.
Fowler Bluff sounds interesting. You have been there? I have driven from Old Town down to Suwanee a couple of times. Didn't think there was any civilization on the other side of the river. The Suwanee is beautiful. Thanks for the tip.

robert graham

Admiral
All the water around Cedar Key is so shallow especially at low tide....it's O.K. For cruising around and sightseeing but it's hard to beach a boat on most of the islands for exploring or beach combing....Fowlers Bluff is about 18 miles drive through the woods from Cedar Key and a nice little residential area with a store and a free ramp, right on the beautiful Suwannee River....turn right upriver to the Santa Fe River then up a few miles to the crystal clear Itchetucknee River.....or you could cruise down to Suwannee for lunch. We've been there many times and it's beautiful and the Suwannee is fresh/brackish water with plenty of depth for cruising in your pontoon boat. One other item is that outside ramp at Cedar Key can get pretty darn treacherous when the wind gets up...and very little dockage available especially at low tide....We'll be at Cedar Key from December 27 through January 3rd if you folks will be in the area....

FrizFreleng

Seaman
We have floated (tubing) the Itchnetucknee. Never boated the Santa Fe or Suwanee but definitely on our cruise list.
A Cedar Key rendezvous has merit (like the idea). We may drive over for lunch but probably not to boat. A little late in the year. Although it is is the 80's here today I don't expect that to hold up much longer. For us, pontoons are warm weather, flat water craft. Fortunately, in this part of Florida boating season lasts around 9 months. All year a little further south. I will send you a PM and see if we can work something out about Cedar Key.

Fair winds and following seas, Friz

Last edited:

robert graham

Admiral
Tony's Seafood in Cedar Key is tops....award winning clam chowder and excellent seafood done right!....right on the corner of rt. 24 and main....

Blahhhster

Cadet
I have never been to Cedar Key with my Pontoon, but always have wanted to give it a try. It looks like it may not be so great based upon what everyone has written. I will say that if you live in Gainesville I know some great places to take your pontoon that I have found. One place is Rainbow River. The Dunnellon boat ramp is free and the water is crystal clear! I am looking for fellow pontooners to share ideas with in Gainesville, let me know if your interested.

robert graham

Admiral
Yep, it seems like most of the folks who put their boats in at Cedar Key are to head out the various channels to the multitude of fishing spots from a couple to several miles out....cruising and sightseeing is O.K. but like I say there's a lot of very shallow water(especially at low tide) and not so easy for beaching the boat on the islands....that's why I always take my canoe with 3HP motor.....also you'll see lots of kayakers at Cedar Key....Good Luck!...

FrizFreleng

Seaman
robert graham - looks like a Cedar Key launch is on the back burner for now. Thanks for the insight about Cedar Key and info on Folwer's Bluff. You aren't just trying to keep it safe for the non-internal combustion sailors are you?

Blahhhster - very familiar with the Rainbow, the snorkeling is spectacular. Have launched at the Dunelleon ramp and the county ramp half way up the river. For my money the Dunnelleon ramp is better. As you may know, stay away from the weekends. A little crowded (tubers and boaters) and far too many useless gov't employees at taxpayer expense telling you that your idle speed does not suit them. Would very much like to hear about your pontoon cruises. We have been cruising this area for 8 years and 11 years previously out of Jacksonville.

series9

Seaman Apprentice
As a resident of Volusia county, I am definitely spoiled by our absolutely awesome public boat ramps, which are all free.

Since I only pull my boat over to Cedar Key about once a year, I don't worry about $12 to use the ramp. In the big scheme of boating, $12 is a drop in the bucket.

robert graham

Admiral
I'm just saying that looking out from the Cedar Key docks/ramp there seems to be a lot more water out there than there is, especially around low tides....you can almost walk across there except in the channel, which is well marked.....I've watched a lot of boats run up on mud/sand/oyster bars....guess that's why you see so many air boats down there....