How good can it get?!!

robert graham

Admiral
My wife and her 3 older sisters are going to Folly Beach in Charleston,SC for a "girls week" and wife says, "maybe you should take the boat down on the St. John's River in Florida and fish next week"!.....Man, Saturday morning I'm heading that way....I know how to take orders!....Whatever the boss-lady says do, I do it!....How good can it get?!!

mercurymang

Master Chief Petty Officer
My wife and her 3 older sisters are going to Folly Beach in Charleston,SC for a "girls week" and wife says, "maybe you should take the boat down on the St. John's River in Florida and fish next week"!.....Man, Saturday morning I'm heading that way....I know how to take orders!....Whatever the boss-lady says do, I do it!....How good can it get?!!

I would be worried :)

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
For the time and money it's take to hull the boat to JAX, you could charter a guide and be none the worst for wear.

robert graham

Admiral
Mine is a large Jon boat with an 8X8 foot deck up front and I pitch the tent up there....camp along down the river from Welaka to Lake Harney, fish, swim in the springs, just enjoy the river and the scenery.....If the weather turns bad then there are several fish camps, motels and resorts to stop in....Usually my wife goes with me but this time it's just me...for my 71st birthday present to myself!....so that's the rest of the story.....

FrizFreleng

Seaman
To answer your question, from where I sit that is about as good as it gets! You and I have been bantering on another post about the Cedar Key boat ramp. I ran across your post here and thought I may have something to add. Please excuse the tardiness as I see the last response was over a month ago. We have spent quite a bit of time between Welaka and Astor on the St. Johns since 1997 when we bought our pontoon at Astor Marine. John Denver could have also easily written " St Johns river, almost heaven..." because it certainly is. A group of us took a cruise last May on a section of the St Johns I would guess with which you are familiar. I documented it on another site. I can't fathom how to post link so here is how you find it: www.pontoonforums.com then Destinations then FLORIDA DESTINATIONS. Scroll down to the post dated Sat May 03. It should bring back fond memories. Also sent you a PM about Tony's. We drove down to the Welaka Lodge after church last Sunday for lunch. Dadgumit! Bar and Grill closed until March.

Fair winds and following seas, Friz

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Nice pics on the toon forum Fritz ! I don't have a pontoon but I would love to make some of those trips with my old classic . Me and the Admiral keep wanting to plan a trip but just been to busy to actually do it . Are you using a gps to navigate or going by nav maps ? I really need to get a depth/gps plotter ..

FrizFreleng

Seaman
I don't see why your "classic" would not be a fine vessel for these waters. I originally used nav charts. Now I know the waters well enough I have the charts on board but rarely consult them although I would not get underway without them. An exception is after sunset. Then I am on them all the time looking for the course to the next marker. A nice thing about a pontoon is I cruise at 15 mph. That gives the Commodore and I plenty of time to plot her course. As far as a GPS, I use the Tom Tom from my vehicle. Although it accurately plots your position it it funny to see an icon of your car in the middle of Lake George. It is constantly trying to steer you back on land to a road. I use it mostly for speed. Not ready to ante up the dinero for a real GPS/Plotter although it undoubtedly has value. I would agree, at the least, invest in a depth finder.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Planning a trip and staying in the Welaka Lodge RG ! Looks we are heading there in the middle of April .. Me the Admiral , daughter, and son in law.. I need to find some charts of the area waterways ... :)

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
I fell in love with that area several years ago, I normally stay down on the South End at Castaways on the river. My biggest concern is my fuel stops, I have my charts on board and would navigate from Jax to Astor, Mostly i used my Garmin GPS 60 which allows you to plot your course and then i used my charts as a backup. Beautiful country, great people. and the admiral loves the scenery. Cruise speed depends where i am at, but i cruise between idle and 30 mph on the river, takes me 3 days from Jax as i am in mo hurry going down and try to conserve my fuel. As far as the original question, No It doesnt get any better than that in my opinion. Lots of pics, relax, have fun.

robert graham

Admiral
Planning a trip and staying in the Welaka Lodge RG ! Looks we are heading there in the middle of April .. Me the Admiral , daughter, and son in law.. I need to find some charts of the area waterways ... :)
There are detailed charts for the St. John's River....a total of 3 charts for The entire 310 miles of River....We're in Amelia Island now and when I get back home in Greenville I'll give you the name and address of the chart publisher....but from Welaka you should be able to easily navigate north and south at least 50 miles each way with no problems. Lake George can get pretty choppy on a windy day, otherwise it's easy sailing. You'll love Welaka Lodge...very nice accommodations with covered boat slips. Be sure to cruise up the Ocklawaha River for outstanding scenery!....

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks Robert that would be great ! Hey your just across the creek from me ! Amelia area is sure nice ! Hope ya'll had a good time down south ! The Keys is another trip I want to make sometime ...

robert graham

Admiral
The keys are nice...but crowded with lots of people....Welaka is just so peaceful and beautiful. Be sure to cruise up to Silver Glen Springs for some swimming. The Shrimp Shack in Welaka has great fingerling catfish....hard to beat!....good luck!