Paper charts = "Not for Navigation"? So what is?

KC8QVO

Petty Officer 1st Class
All of the paper charts I have come across for a lake I go to are all labeled something to the affect "not for navigational use". The one I am looking at here even has a label on it that reads "The Charts and Publications Regulations of the Canada Shipping Act require commercial vessels operating in Canadian Waters to carry the latest, best scale, corrected CHS charts. This document does not meet the requirements of the Act". The guy at the tackle shop said every chart he sells has that disclaimer.

So what constitutes a navigational use chart and where do I get them? I am not using it for commercial use at all - I just want a quality up-to-date map with buoys, hazards, current/in-operation marinas, and other information marked. This map I've been using is from 2001 and only covers about 1/3 of the lake. I'd like to get the whole set of charts.

Lake of the Woods (western Ontario).

southkogs

Staff member
I might be a little off on this - and certainly can't speak to Canadian charts at all - but I would think the only true navigational charts are NOAA charts (or approved by NOAA). Much like aircraft sectionals, there's State and Federal oversight to navigation routes.

I was lookin' for my old lake maps for here in TN, but I can't find 'em to see - but I think they had the same warning.

KC8QVO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Grandad -

The chart I have been using is made by Fishing Hotspots, Q272 for the Southeast section. The declination roses read from 2000, not 2001 as I stated before.

I have an old 6201 chart hanging in a frame on my dining room wall. The only navigational aids it has are declination roses, lat/long lines, and the regular tracks through the channels and bays. It has no markers, buoys, or marina/town/shore info. It was never intended as a navigation chart by anyone in my family, just something to hang on the wall as a reference and conversation piece.

I checked that site you linked to and followed through with the links to where to buy. I will check with the dealer listed for my area and see what I can come up with. You know what might be going on - the 6201 may be a more "rough" overview of the whole area and for the buoy, marker, marina, etc detail you need the smaller area/larger scale charts.

KC8QVO

Petty Officer 1st Class
I found a local cartography place through West Marine. They were able to order the chart set for a reasonable cost. The small scale/large area chart is the same as what I have, but I am curious how the updates affect it. Mine is a combination of a lot of data, as described on the chart. Maybe they made the whole thing more uniform - hopefully with more depth readings and shore detail. If not I have the larger scale detail charts. All are waterproof in the series, which is nice. That will help out on the lake.