Eastern Lake Ontario

john cole

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How many have cruised the path from Oswego NY up to A Bay on the Saint Lawrence river? Thinking about making the trip but not sure about the water conditions out in the open, main question I guess how long does it need to be calm (wind wise) before the waves settle down, only running a nice deep V 21' boat, and know it can handle some fairly decent waves, but also know Ontario lake can dish out way more than it can handle too.

Bondo

Staff member
How many have cruised the path from Oswego NY up to A Bay on the Saint Lawrence river? Thinking about making the trip but not sure about the water conditions out in the open, main question I guess how long does it need to be calm (wind wise) before the waves settle down, only running a nice deep V 21' boat, and know it can handle some fairly decent waves, but also know Ontario lake can dish out way more than it can handle too.

Ayuh,.... Not sure I understand yer question,....

The waves follow the wind, almost instantaneously,...... The wind stops, so do the waves,...

I've run from the Chaumont river, to Sandy Pond, several times,...
On a calm day, it's an hour, 'n 1/2 or so,....
If it Blows, ya slow down,....
Runnin' from Oswego, the wind will be quarterin' yer port aft,... Ya oughta be able to run in the troughs,..... if it blows,...

Flying Sushi

Seaman
We have made a few trips from A-Bay to Henderson Bay..... our rule of thumb is if forecast is calling for less than 15mph of wind the water is ok for travel... If we see it calls for 20mph of wind we would not go out to open water (Lake Ontario)