Wow this is really sad . . . . .

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
I was just out there a couple weeks ago. A small pass between 2 rock mounds went from 3ft depth to 3 ft above water in a matter of weeks. Lake Mead Marina was being moved out another 40 ft to gain some water depth, Interesting process, the entire floating marina is detached, and the anchored cables are extended. The workers said they wanted to move it 80 ft, and that they have to do this very often these days. Yes, it is sad. I'm glad my boat is on the Great Lakes (No, they can't have our water - no pipeline!)

fishrdan

Admiral
I guess this is supposed to be another "global warming", the sky is falling, Lake Mead is drying up type story.

Drought in the southwestern U.S. will deplete the vast Lake Mead this week to levels not seen since Hoover Dam was completed and the reservoir on the Colorado River was filled in the 1930s, federal water managers said Tuesday.

Too bad they didn't tell the whole story....

Lake Mead dropped excessively this year due to an artificial flood created in the Colorado River Delta, down in Mexico. From January to June Lake Mead dropped 25' when it should have been filling up with spring runoff. Upstream from Lake Mead is Lake Powell, and Lake Powell rose 6 feet higher this year due to a half decent snow pack in the Rockies.

If it wasn't for the the artificial flood, Lake Mead probably would have gained some water this year....

I do agree that it's sad they let the lake drain so low. I was out at Echo Bay a couple weeks ago and saw the high and dry marina first hand, pretty unbelievable.