TN Waters / Where is everyone heading this weekend.

nickcunn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am looking for all fellow boaters from the forum to meet up this upcoming weekend on the lake. We could schedule Friday, Friday night or Saturday. We are looking to anchor down and enjoy the area and make some friends. Not sure if I am off Friday but we could meet Friday night or Saturday.

southkogs

Staff member
BUMMER! That's easy driving distance from the house, but I've got friends coming out to Percy Priest Lake for the day. I don't think I can make it the next two weekends.

nickcunn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We are out on the lake about every weekend. Let me know if anyone of you are heading that way on a weekend. Admiral and I could meet and chill out. We want to make friends that are boaters.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
dam nick gonna miss this one too. Got wife out of town this week, I'm off to Indy to look at a new truck, and landscapers coming Saturday (hopefully not cancelling............again)

southkogs

Staff member
We are out on the lake about every weekend. Let me know if anyone of you are heading that way on a weekend. Admiral and I could meet and chill out. We want to make friends that are boaters.
Yeah, it's soooooo easy for us to hit Priest up here. Nickajack would be a full day for us that we gotta' plan for. Though we've wanted to get out there for a couple of years now.

It's been a crazy summer too, just BUSY.

nickcunn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Trust me I know how busy it is. I am finally working 4 days a week now at 10-12 hrs a day. Instead of 5 days a week at same hours. If you all wanna make a plan we can all meet out there some time.

southkogs

Staff member
I'll definitely make sure I post something if we're working on heading down there. Would like to meet up with some of the TN gang.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
they are not the Ritz Carlton, but Hale Bar marina does have cabins. We've spend a weekend down there, even when we could sleep on the boat.

nickcunn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I put in about 6 miles below hales bar. Its a nice ride up there.

southkogs

Staff member
Hale Bar is about 1.5 hours from the house. We could do a day trip down there some weekend. Do they charge to go through the lock on the other end of the lake (never been through a lock before)? Kids might get a kick outta' it.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
No charge for going through a lock, but recreational pleasure craft have the lowest priority so an unanticipated delay is sometimes incurred. Plan on 45 minutes each way to transit the lock. If one hits it just right and the lock is configured for the desired direction of travel, it still takes around 20 minutes to transit.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Hale Bar is about 1.5 hours from the house. We could do a day trip down there some weekend. Do they charge to go through the lock on the other end of the lake (never been through a lock before)? Kids might get a kick outta' it.

I'm sure they would - I grew up running thru locks on the Columbia and always thought it was cool. As an adult only been thru one and it was Hales Bar. When we had the big boat at Guntersville we made a weekend run to Hales on a friends boat. There is not a lot of barge traffic there like down in Guntersville so usually don't have to wait long.

We're right at an hour from the ramp we use (about 2 miles off exit 161) which is only about 20 minutes longer than it takes us to get to get to Tims Ford. Decent single ramp, lots of parking and never has been busy when I've been there. In fact pretty sure I've never had to wait on anyone else.

My weekend still in flux 50/50 on making it out this weekend

rj

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
Cool! Thanks guys ... I've been through the locks up in Michigan, but that was a looooooong time ago on BIG water as a passenger on BIG boats. I'll make it a point to get down to Nickajack and let you know when I'm able..

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Cool! Thanks guys ... I've been through the locks up in Michigan, but that was a looooooong time ago on BIG water as a passenger on BIG boats. I'll make it a point to get down to Nickajack and let you know when I'm able..

same thing if you ever want to get to Tims and take a break from your busy lake - it's only 30 minutes off exit 110. Or Nomandy - it's pretty small but not too bad and only 15 off the highway.

nickcunn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have never been thru a lock. lol Well I will be working Friday. But it looks like Saturday will be a wash out. I might try to get out early just to get my line wet. Who knows it might turn out to be an alright day.

southkogs

Staff member
... same thing if you ever want to get to Tims and take a break from your busy lake - it's only 30 minutes off exit 110. Or Nomandy - it's pretty small but not too bad and only 15 off the highway.
I've been on both Tim's and Normandy. It's a bit of a ride down to Tim's, but man is that lake pretty. Normandy is a little closer, and has a nice beach area (for Tennessee) so we've been down there a few times.

Priest isn't too bad. Ya' just need to know where to go and what you're up against.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
ok nice thing about 11 years with the company and 300 hours of vacation time - off to the lake on short notice.

Tims-FOrd.jpg

nickcunn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
beautiful pic. I will have to rebuild my bearing and reseals before I can pull up that way. Which lake is that?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
tims ford. Just got back. Lunch at the marina, nap, run about 20 miles and a swim.

rj

Last edited: