any pointers for this lake (Percy Priest)

eodguy2

Cadet
in about 3 weeks getting ready to take boat down to Tennessee and heading over to Percy priest lake. anything should be aware of etc??? will be doing tubing, skiing, knee boarding etc

Last edited by a moderator:

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard eodguy2:

Percy is a nice big body of water, but it has a couple of drawbacks. 1) it's very close to a large city meaning it can get congested on some days. If it is one of those busy days, you'll need to be running on the defensive. There is plenty of water though, and it shouldn't be a problem to find a spot to drag the riders around.

2) The second hitch is the bottom. Priest is an impound, and while it's nice and deep in a lot of places - where it's not deep it'll come up and bite quick. We make lake bottoms out of rocks and tree trunks in this state, so it's good to review a chart of the lake if you've never been on it before. (Navionics is a nice cheap answer if you can see some stuff about it here: http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...otors/663826-active-captain-garmin-blue-chart).

The North end of Priest (up closer to Nashville) is a very nice section of the lake. Big open spots, some cool islands to tie up on for a while and real pretty water. (Nashville Shores water park is up there too) The further South you go, the tighter the areas get (relative to the other end - they're still pretty big), and the more shallow/hazard areas you have to deal with.

I'm out there quite a bit on the weekends and I've run the entire lake. Overall it's a good lake, but you do have to pay attention as it does get busy.

Where are ya' staying?

eodguy2

Cadet
southkog, thanks for info. will be staying over at Wyndham resort. have relation over in Murphysboro area so be back and forth. what ramp would you use, nashville shore or something like elm hill marina area?

southkogs

Staff member
Cool, my Mother In Law stays there quite a bit and we've been to that Wyndham often. It's a nice place. You gonna' head over the to Opry for a night? The Opryland Hotel is pretty amazing to see (don't eat in there though ... not good enough for the money IMHO). But you're in Nashville - plenty to do and eat ;) If you've never been, check out the Wild Horse Saloon. During lunch hours its family friendly, not that wild at night but it is a bar and VERY Nashville. I live down in Murfreesboro, plenty of good stuff down there too. Stones River National Battlefield is pretty interesting if you're a history buff.

I'm going to try posting map links to three areas for you to consider, they're all mapped from the Wyndham but a put two of them in because they're on the way to Murfreesboro or closer to Murfreesboro. Roads down here are kinda' nutty (traffic engineering is not a strong suit of this area), so it takes about a 1/2 hour to get anywhere.

LInk #1: Cook Public Use Area: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Wyn...1bd00efc59b2a223!2m2!1d-86.596842!2d36.134873

This is a small public use area, but free to launch at. You're at the north end of the lake, very BIG, very pretty and not far from the Dam (for interest) and Nashville Shores (watermark if ya' wanna' go play). If you drill into the map and run your finger across 9 O'clock from Cook PUA, you'll see Elm Hill Marina. It's a beautiful marina and a great place to launch, but they charge ya' $5 to launch. Closer drive from the Wyndham, so you can pick which you prefer.

Link #2: Hurricane Creek Recreation Area:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Wyn...:0xd9aa6261c723cf75!2m2!1d-86.559!2d36.049646

This is my favorite spot to go in. Four Corners Marina is just across the inlet from it (very nice marina), and it's free to put in here. You're halfway through the lake, so come out of the marina and turn left ... you go into the big open waters of the pretty end of Percy Priest. Turn right, and you go into the (relatively speaking) tighter, but generally less occupied waters of the South End. The north end is prettier (IMHO).

Link #3: Fate Sanders Marina
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Wyn...0x989f8c04027862b!2m2!1d-86.486716!2d36.04218

This is where I go in most. From my house in Murfreesboro - drive way to wet hull - is about 30 minutes, and real easy. There are a couple of day use areas around as well (Poole Knobs and Stewart Creek I've used - Poole doesn't have a courtesy dock FYI - and Lamar Hill I haven't used), but Sanders is free and pretty big. Lotsa' fishing tournaments out of there though, so 4PM weigh in can be a little raucous. Good water, it's a little "muddier" looking down here closer to the river entry but still a nice lake. Nothing to be afraid of. Just watch the bottom, like I said: channel markers and hazard markers all the way up the channel.

Some of your Army buds fly MedEvac outta' Smyrna Regional just off the lake, so you can wave to the BlackHawks overhead too ;)

Another lake to look at from Murfreesboro is Normand (Manchester, TN). Not as well known and not as big, but there's not many people out there either. It's a nice pretty lake. From Nashville, you also have Old Hickory Lake (which I've not been on) and about 1.5 hours away is Center Hill. Center Hill is a nice day trip if you want. The lake is VERY big, and VERY pretty and has some interesting features The link below is Fanchers Water Fall which we were able to boat up to 2 years ago (not sure what shape it's in now):

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Wyn...552e0ce64b3ec51e!2m2!1d-85.666284!2d36.004156

That link goes to Johnsons Chapel - a simple no dock drop in we've used. Sligo Marina and Cookeville Marina are in that area and nicer to use. I've used Sligo, but it's a longer run up to the falls area, and tough to get into. I've never been in Cookeville Marina (But it looks nice from the water). I can't remember if the falls is down Lafty Hollow or Moose Hollow. I think it's Moose Hollow.

Y'all come on and have a great time down here. It's a beautiful area. Let me know if I can point ya' in some other directions.

Thanks for your service, by the way. I bet ordinance disposal has to get a little dicey every now and again ... and a little fun now and again. I get to work with the guys up at Ft. Campbell every now and again, and pretty regularly with the guard guys here in Smyrna. They've always been great for our cadets (Civil Air Patrol), and helping us train.

eodguy2

Cadet
southkog, thank you so very much once again. yeah we have been nashville area alot over the years. actually probably moving to area in few years, just never boated there. cant wait!!!!!

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome in - you'll love livin' here. I've been in Murfreesboro almost 17 years now having moved down from Michigan (Detroit). Plenty of great boatin' here and endless amounts of things to do. Not to mention the culture here which I think is among the best there is.

Y'all come on!

eodguy2

Cadet
southkog. beautiful lake!!!! spent a lot of time on it today just kind of checking it out and little anchoring/swimming. going out all day tomorrow for the "water sports" ;) decided to just use cooks for distance. did check out other while going around on water. appreciate it again for your help! helps to get ins and out from people familiar with area.

southkogs

Staff member
Awesome! That north end is nice ... and the weather is gonna' be right on today. Y'all have a great time!

I'd offer to meet up with ya' and say "hi," but I overheated this weekend and will probably be "boating in the garage" most of the rest of this week.

eodguy2

Cadet
man. that blows! . checking stuff on internet while little anchoring right now haha

eodguy2

Cadet
well. had another great day on this lake, only to someone stole my 7blade to 5pin adapter off my truck/trailer. had to drive into auto zone in relatives vehicle to spend 20 bucks on another one. man I hate thieves! !!!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
that does suck but glad you enjoyed our lake. If you come down again plan on hitting Tim's Ford - it will be about an hour from Murfreesboro where you said you had family.

eodguy2

Cadet
redneck joe. we are thinking about trying to get on that lake actually maybe th or fri. any pointers? ??

southkogs

Staff member
well. had another great day on this lake, only to someone stole my 7blade to 5pin adapter off my truck/trailer. had to drive into auto zone in relatives vehicle to spend 20 bucks on another one. man I hate thieves! !!!
Awwww ... that stinks! I'm sorry that happened. That's not very "Nashville" in my experience.

If you can make Tim's it's well worth it. I'll let Joe tell ya' where. He knows it much better than I do. Center Hill is a beautiful lake too. Well worth a visit if you wanna' head a little East.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
sure. I like to put in at state park which is a fairly steep ramp if you're comfortable with that and plenty of easy parking. About 8 minutes closer is Holiday Marina but kinda close quarters for me to put in and easy slope. There is also TIim's Ford marina about a mile past state park which is also is steep and OK on parking. Being the middle of the week parking should be fine at any of them.

Tim's has a burger grill, typical stuff and package beer. Holiday has a pretty full menu and actually is pretty good grub (I usually get the fried oysters), big table service beer selection and package beer. They've got carp to feed if you got kids. State park does not sell fishing license but sells ice cream (according to the sign).

I prefer the dam end of the lake, water more clear but you can run all the way down to Winchester and if you know where you're going and the water is up (which is was last week and as you know we got god rain this week) you can dang near be in downtown - I can see the pizza hut and have always thought about having one deleivered to the boat..... The dam end of the lake going past has some great coves, that have coves in that, with more coves after that. I like to explore.

Mostly deep water - you can be 10' from the bank and be in 15' of water most of these coves - if you have a depthfnder you'll be comfortable. Pretty much anywhere you will be fine as far as depth especially with the current high water but generally if you read the shoreline you know where to run. If you do run down to the Winchester area there is one small island (maybe just trees poking up at this point) - stay to the left going around you probably could make it but when water low it pretty much connects to the shore so I've never attempted.

if you don't make it until Saturday let me know I'm probably headed there. PM me and I'll shoot you my cell.

rj

Last edited:

eodguy2

Cadet
sweet thanks. we wont probably get out until fri the way it looks. we leave to go back north sat :( have I said lately how I hate Illinois :)

southkogs

Staff member
Now ya' know why there are soooooo many transplants down here ;)

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
ohhhh Illinios yeah I feel kinda dirty every time I cross the state line. Headed that way next week. I'ts OK until hwy 24 ends then I feel the 'illinoisness' hit me until I can cross the bridge into STL.

southkogs

Staff member
ohhhh Illinios yeah I feel kinda dirty every time I cross the state line. Headed that way next week. I'ts OK until hwy 24 ends then I feel the 'illinoisness' hit me until I can cross the bridge into STL.
I run that route up to Minneapolis every year or two ... last year I was halfway between the KY line and the MO line in Illinois before I realized I was carrying my gun. :eek:

93civEJ1

Seaman
bumping this one up, because I too will be trying out percy priest before long and would like any updated pointers or tips. I hear its very rocky!!!