New Boater-Illinois River at Seneca, IL

dimarieo

Recruit
OK so this is 'the thing'....
IMG_20140516_174951102[1].jpg

I always wanted a boat, crossing over the river, the story goes..."got to get a boat". 20 years later, opportunity knocks. Right boat, right price, right on it! Guy says to me, before the finalizing of the deal, "want to take it for a ride? You know how to drive a boat right?" As any man would respond I said "Of course" Hooked the boat, wife, daughter, and on the way to the river! Wife says "sure you know what you are doing, right?", Man's response "hell yeah, I drove my dad's boat when I was a kid, how hard do you think this is?" LAUNCH TIME!!! Daughter is in the boat, just for safe measure, wife gonna pull trailer away, man is gonna shove off. Daughter says "Hey Dad, I hear water back here", Man's response "Yeah sweetie, that's the motor filling up, there is no radiator in these things, no sweat." Finish shoving off, hop aboard, starts right up. Carefully make our way to the dock. Wife parked trailer, so proud of her, she never pulled a trailer before. Down to the dock, on board, and away we go! Out of the 'no wake zone'....free at last! Throttle up, carp up. EVERYWHERE Five minutes in, motor dies. ****! Check engine compartment, if you have not figured out, by now, yep, man is a dumb ***! NO PLUG. Needless to say, wife thinks man needs supervision. So, if there is anyone out there that is familiar with the Illinois River around Seneca that would be willing to show a 40+, know it all man, truck driver (you know the type), the do's and don't's of boating. Hollar! lol

Seriously though, looking to boat out around Seneca and obviously don't know anybody out there. Like to make some new friends, sounds like it could be a lot of fun. Any help is always appreciated. Thanks.IMG_20140516_175126276_HDR[1].jpg

Ray1958

Cadet
Just a thought for Dumb a** man truck driver that needs to learn about boating... The Illinois river near Seneca and all the rain we have been having after all the ice heaves this winter... Be very carefull of logs in the river. Some are partially submerged and not breaking the surface. A really bad way to end an afternoon boating by Dumb a** truck driver man with the loves of his life in the boat. Take your time and move with caution.

Ray

floater212

Petty Officer 2nd Class
maybe we'll see you down by Boondocks, good food, better drinks. we go that way about 2-3 times a season, we're mostly on the Kankakee/ Des plains side of the locks... look us up, red rinker with a tower, boat name "Chris's Idea". rule of thumb, middle is the best. if you see a branch in the water drifting, slow down .... it may be a tree.

Twistedspeed

Cadet
New boat owner here as well. Been out a bunch with friends. Got a 82 imperial marron n white. I usually head towards the Ottawa locks and anchor up and enjoy the water. Sometimes I will beach north of senca! Have fun and see ya out there!