Overnight Trip to Vineyard Haven

tpenfield

Staff member
The Admiral and I took an overnight trip to Vineyard Haven on Martha's Vineyard Island this weekend.

Here are a bunch of photos from our trip that I thought I would share.

We stopped at Hadley's Harbor, which is across from Woods Hole. We had not been there before, so it was an interesting adventure. There is a narrow passage into the harbor through several rocks and hazards.

Anchored in Hadley's Harbor
P9280538.jpg

For such a small harbor, there seemed to be a constant parade of boats coming in.
P9280542.jpg

There was a nice mansion up on the hill overlooking the harbor
P9280540.jpg

At one point, there was a Formula 330SS very similar to mine that came into the harbor. The same graphic desin, except in the green as the major color.
P9280545.jpg

Continued on next post . . .

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Overnight Trip to Vineyard Haven

hardly a ripple on the water as the harbor is so isolated.

P9280531.jpg

We then headed to Vineyard Haven Harbor. Here is a picture as we were coming into the harbor.
P9280555-leveled.jpg

The dock attendant was expecting us, so we were able to get docked fairly quickly.
P9280556.jpg

Then it was a matter of setting up the canvas for the overnight.
P9280557-filtered.jpg

The Admiral and I were then ready to head into town . . .
IMG_2969.jpg

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member

We came across this ship being built along the water front.
P9280560-filtered.jpg

The folks building it invited us up to take a closer look . . . here is a view from the deck framing
P9280564-filtered.jpg

I took a picture of the inside framing . . .
P9280568.jpg

The ship is intended to be a cargo schooner, and therefore it has a squared-off bow, sort of like a pram boat. The space inside seemed massive.

Here is a picture of the hull planking
P9280570.jpg

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member

My Formula 330 did fairly well for the overnight. Plenty of room and enough comfort for a short stay.

We shared dock space with a Carver 38, a Tiara 40-ish and a Formula 370SS.

We did some touring and came across this scenic view . . . I think it is called Drew Cove
P9290581-filtered.jpg

We planned to anchor for the day on our way back to our home port. Here is a picture heading out of Vineyard Haven.
P9290582.jpg

We went through Woods Hole at a good clip and anchored in Buzzards Bay. It was remarkably flat, which is highly rare.
IMG_2989.jpg

We anchored for a few hours, then headed back to port to complete our weekend trip and the last outing of the season for the 'new-to-us' boat.

All-in-all a fine ending to a great boating season. :thumb:

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
Resurrecting my thread from last year. . . We booked another overnight this coming weekend on Martha's Vineyard. Staying at the same place (Black Dog Wharf) but probably will venture to different parts of the island once on land. The boat did pretty well last year on an overnight, so we thought we'd try it again this year. :thumb: Probably will be our last outing of the season, as I have booked the boat hauler for the following weekend.

tpenfield

Staff member
Update . . .

Fabulous weekend (Sept 27-28th) on Martha's Vineyard. Temps in the 70's and not a cloud in the sky . . .

We used the same wharf as last year, but ventured out to different parts of the island . . .

got the boat all set up in the slip
IMG_4905.jpg

while we were getting things set up for the overnight, I spied this 1990's vintage Formula pulled up on the beach. Looked to be a 272-SR1, 1990 or 1991, based on the rear seat/sunpad design. A total head turner . . . no 'for sale' sign on it though :(
photo.jpg

We ventured into Oak bluffs, which was a new experience. Many of the houses look like 'gingerbread houses'
IMG_4920.jpg

Stopped at a local restaurant for dinner . . . interesting things on the 'to go' menu.
IMG_4923.jpg

In some of the gift shops, it is amazing what sells :)
IMG_4921.jpg

The big sailing scow that we saw under construction last year was all done, launched and gone. Even the building that had been constructed to shelter it had been taken down. Perhaps I'll see it on the water some day.

Anyway, just wanting to share some pics from a great wrap-up to the second season with the F-330 :thumb:

This coming weekend is haul-out day and the beginning of the dreaded "W" process. I probably will start with a compression test and cylinder leak test on both engines and then winterizing towards the end of October.

Last edited:

Expidia

Commander
Great Pics thanks for sharing. Stayed in Oakbluffs and also Nantucket many times on my BIL 46 foot Bertram Sportfish. Next season make the Nantucket run. Nantucket's a lot classier than the vineyard and a great trip. The vineyard is so close to the mainland, it gets a lot of riff raff on season until the last ferry leaves for the night. Rent motor scooters on Nantucket and tour the island.