This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1968 Shell Lake - Shakedown Cruise

This weekend was my shakedown cruise for my 1968 Shell Lake / Lund 15' Tri Hull

Here's the sales brochure from 1968 ---> File:Shelllakeb68016.jpg - Classic Boat Library

Bought the boat last year in my search for a lightweight, stable boat to take to the Florida Keys. Had to find a motor first and I decided that to keep it in the right weight range, a Johnson 30HP was the most bang for the weight. I want to keep boat, motor and trailer weight around 600#. The boat still had the original controls that worked fine. I had to redo the cable and pulley steering and set up the new motor as well as repair the transom.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shell Lake stern.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	182639

The transom was of course a pain. I did it in a somewhat unconventional way. the bottom 6" of plywood was good and the outer skin was intact so I cut out everything from 6" up but leaving the outer skin and began laying up strips of dried PT wood cut into 1" x 1 1/2" strips. Each strip was bedded in epoxy and screwed with stainless screws into the wood below.I would do 2 or 3 strips a day then filling the 1/16" gap between wood and outer skin by pouring in epoxy. I was able to use wood that was warped and cut to make use of the curve. Then I glassed in the inner side and gel coated. Like a rock.

The motor needed all the expected attention with cleaning the carb and changing out fuel lines and after several cleanings and a rebuild kit it sounded nice. I really like the cable pulley steering and I redid it with all attachments through-bolted for safety as well as new cable and a new wheel. Leaving the ramp for the first time and heading out with other boats coming in something seemed very wrong, I had crossed the cables for the steering and was going left when I wanted to go right. Oh well, details.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shell Lake Bow.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	182645

The motor ran well, (after an adjustment on the throttle cable) Top speed was 28 mph. Cut through waves very nicely although it did throw up a little spray. All thats left now is the finish details. I'm feeling pretty good that all went well on it's (2nd) maiden voyage and thought I'd share.

Great looking boat, similar to the Shell Lake Tri-14 I just bought, but is finished off nicely.

Comment

Working...
    X