Calling All Ontario Members

canuckmark

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Oh yeah, the marina building. Another day in local politics! Looks like it'll be portable buildings for the marina for at minimum this year.

Man it looked calm on the water this morning. Hopefully the weather/temperature improves for next week.

ryanorillia

Cadet

canuckmark

Petty Officer 3rd Class
if you really want some more drama..two days before the fire the downtown cameras mysteriously malfunctioned ;)

http://www.orilliapacket.com/2015/0...r-second-monitoring-station-at-opp-detachment

Yeah, I heard about that. What a mess. I'm familiar with the equipment they're using and it is really pricey stuff (the wireless links you see hanging on the street lights). It is also very reliable when installed and configured correctly so something probably isn't installed right.

Drove by there yesterday - it appears the building is torn down but it's hard to tell since there are 3 or 4 portable buildings in the way in the parking lot. Not sure if they are the temporary marina buildings or there for the construction. Hopefully they sort something out for visitors to our town.

But I digress...so W T F is with the snow???? This isn't happening...this isn't happening...this isn't happening...

ryanorillia

Cadet
Yeah, I heard about that. What a mess. I'm familiar with the equipment they're using and it is really pricey stuff (the wireless links you see hanging on the street lights). It is also very reliable when installed and configured correctly so something probably isn't installed right.

Drove by there yesterday - it appears the building is torn down but it's hard to tell since there are 3 or 4 portable buildings in the way in the parking lot. Not sure if they are the temporary marina buildings or there for the construction. Hopefully they sort something out for visitors to our town.

But I digress...so W T F is with the snow???? This isn't happening...this isn't happening...this isn't happening...

haha yeah i think after tonight we're fairly safe now.. apparently theyre putting up a portable building this summer while they figure out what they want to do.

ottawamerc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Wow I'm really late to this but oh well! BTW I don't see any list of members???

I live near Ottawa 1/2 Hr south and primarily boat on the St Lawrence between Cardinal and kingston with a few camping trips on the islands around Brockville. I'm 5 minutes from the Rideau but I cant stand that river, it's like a cesspool and way too much traffic. The upper Rideau lakes are great though. My family now has a 85 Thundercraft Magnum 250 thats perfect for us for day trips, week trips, water skiing/ tubing etc. My previous boats were a 21' cutty, 18' I/O and a 16' PennYan. Our boat name is Isle Be Back. if you see us on the river, usually with 1-2 tubes in tow stop by and say Hi.

cdnNick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My family can now join this thread, we bought our first boat on Saturday. I live in Ottawa and we decided to get a slip on the Rideau river. I'll find a tow vehicle in a little while as I would rather trailer the boat around the area.

We have a short list of boat names but haven't picked one yet. She's a 2005 Seaswirl 170 with a Volvo 3L, should be a good size for awhile my boys are 3 and 6.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Hey guys I've been gone a while I caused a mutiny with the old admiral and made her walk the plank and I sorted through stuff and have recently aquire a newer and prettier admiral sorry for the absence hope all is well

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Welcome cdnNick. Sorry I missed your post a couple of weeks ago. I usually take/get notice when someone posts to this thread. I've added your info.
Welcome back littlerayray. There hasn't been much thread activity lately.
- Grandad
View attachment iBoats Ontario Members.pdf

canuckmark

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I hope everyone is getting out on their respective waters now that the season is in full swing. Water levels are good (relatively speaking) on Couchiching and it is busy as usual. I finally went through the narrows for the first time a few weekends ago. I made the mistake of going on a Sunday afternoon - I felt like I was 16 years old learning how to drive in Toronto all over again. Holy *** it was busy!

Don't know if anyone frequents the usual Big Chief parties but it sounds like it is getting a bit out of hand recently. The police were responding to a possible injured jet skiier a couple weeks ago and were getting bottles and flare shot off at them...

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Hi Mark. Last Sunday, we put our boat in Simcoe at the public ramp directly across the road from Tudhope Park and went through the narrows. I was surprised at how quiet it was that day. We cruised through cooch up to Lock 42 for a picnic lunch, then back down into Simcoe to 8 Mile Pt. Everything ran great after a 2 year lay-up, even with a half tank of old gas. That is, until we tried to pull out again. My I/O trim stopped working as we prepped for the ramp. Fortunately, the trailer is a flatbed style with enough clearance to haul the loaded rig up the ramp with the outdrive still down. That worked OK until my Explorer crested the top of the ramp, causing the tail end of the trailer to dip whereupon I dragged all 3 blades of the prop on the concrete. The rebuilt prop only had about 4 hours use on it, but it'll clean up OK.

Once up on the roadway, we removed the hydraulic trim cylinders and then manually suspended the outdrive on a couple of ratchet tie-downs for the trip home to Midhurst. This week I found the problem was the reverse lock-out switch for the trim pump. I think it was only an accumulation of debris holding the little micro-switch activated. I "fixed" it today with a few seconds of probing with a pocket screwdriver. Another one of those fix-it tips I'll file away in my crowded memory and probably never need again. - Grandad

wrench 3

Commander
Hi guys,
Down here on Scugog the boat traffic is noticeably lighter than usually. I was in Lindsay during the week last week and the docks were empty. That's unusual for the middle of July. There would normally be at least a rental houseboat or two.
The water levels through this side of the system have been above normal for most of the season. They are getting back close to the high normal now. I put our dock in earlier and cranked the legs down to lift it up about a foot. Then a few weeks later it was floating again.
The only running I've managed so far are three lunch outings. However, holidays are coming up and I'm hoping to get up into the main system. Maybe head up through Simcoe.

canuckmark

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi grandad! Great to hear you got out and the trip was mostly a success.

Man, that's a tough break. Thankfully the repair wasn't a costly one. I can relate to the prop damage - i had bad drift-down with the trim on the old motor and scraped a brand new prop pulling out of the ramp at Gravenhurst. I hadn't realized it dropped down to level so quickly. That really is one of the nastiest sounds when it hits the pavement isn't it! This year I repowered with a brand new etec 60 so the trim issues and hard cold starts are a distant memory.

It was actually the Sunday before you did that I went through. Maybe it was just my inexperienced perspective...it seemed pretty busy to me! Approaching the swing bridge with my 15 and a half foot tri hull staring up at the bow of a 40 plus footer kinda got my attention.

How deep is that ramp? I tried it once last year (the left side) but it seemed really shallow so I bailed. It was late in the season though so the levels were pretty low. Is the right side deeper? I usually launch on cooch a couple blocks from my house near Webers (on hwy 11) thankfully avoiding "ramp rage" on the busy days. But i would use that one occasionally if it works with my rig.

Cheers,
Mark

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
How deep is that ramp? I tried it once last year (the left side) but it seemed really shallow so I bailed. It was late in the season though so the levels were pretty low. Is the right side deeper? I usually launch on cooch a couple blocks from my house near Webers (on hwy 11) thankfully avoiding "ramp rage" on the busy days. But i would use that one occasionally if it works with my rig.

Hi Mark. I managed to launch on the left side by jambimg the brakes on while while in reverse. That ramp is good solid concrete but it is very shallow. I pulled out on the right side which is a little steeper though a little on the short side. To get enough depth for loading, I dropped the trailer wheels off the end onto old broken concrete and then used 4WD in bull low to pull my twin axle trailer up onto the ramp. Not ideal, but it worked.

And I hear you about being intimidated by the big cruisers. A long time ago before children, the admiral and I (both inexperienced) putted our 15' molded mahogany up through the narrow Picnic Island channel in Georgian Bay. We were loaded real heavy with camping gear while following a cruiser at relatively low speed. Another cruiser passed in the opposite direction and the wakes from the 2 boats collided. We punched our nose into the wave and sent several inches of water over our deck, up the windshield and into the boat. We got drenched and were the butt of laughter to the 2 cops in the OPP boat watching the action. I've had lots of green water on the foredeck since, but that's the last time I've ever let water come over the windshield. - Grandad

jbcurt00

Staff member
Congrats on putting the Holiday back in service GD.

Hope the outing Fri was fantastic, and glad to hear the switch only needed cleanup!

Be well

canuckmark

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello grandad...

Thanks for the info on the ramps. I will try the right ramp next time.

Yes, experience...or lack of! I'm getting there. As for the wakes and their effect I'm still learning that too...the harshness of a tri-hull can prompt the need for dental work in an instant so caution is usually the better way.

Also I wanted to commend you on your rebuild work...I spent a bit of time on your build thread. Excellent work! The "patio" on page one has given me some ideas...

Last edited:

canuckmark

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello wrench...

The water levels started out quite low here on Couchiching, but now they seem normal. Too bad the ministry will be starting to drop them before too long. It's just so darn shallow here.

When is the real busy season up your way? A few years back on a road trip we stopped at Bobcageon and it was insanely busy...maybe late August, I can't remember exactly.

CraigBarnard

Petty Officer 1st Class
Up here on Sparrow Lake, just north of Couch. the water is higher than normal for this time of year and with all the rain over the past two days its risen a good 4 inches again.
Temps have dropped a bit too but still pleasant enough for a good swim.

cdnNick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So far we have been able to get out every weekend, both days, on the boat. It's still the new shiny toy so everyone is excited to use it. Had some friends and family out as well so that's been fun, my wife is hooked and loves it. She still nervous going over some of the bigger wakes but she'll get over it, I wish she would drive more though she's really uncomfortable right now.

Hopefully, when we get an SUV she will still enjoy trailering the boat around.

Not sure why but I am subscribed to this thread but I am not receiving any notifications.