Calling All Ontario Members

wrench 3

Commander
Hello wrench...

The water levels started out quite low here on Couchiching, but now they seem normal. Too bad the ministry will be starting to drop them before too long. It's just so darn shallow here.

When is the real busy season up your way? A few years back on a road trip we stopped at Bobcageon and it was insanely busy...maybe late August, I can't remember exactly.

The water level here is dropping fast now. Hopefully it levels of at a decent depth.
We"re usually busy through the school holidays and taper off before and after. Bobcaygeon is the busiest lock on the system and on a lot of weekends you can't find a place to tie up.

canuckmark

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I got out on a run Friday morning on cooch. It has been just under two weeks since the last time, and the water levels have dropped a lot, probably 3-4 inches at least. This seems pretty early, so I echo your hopes that it levels out before things get too drastic. Plus there is a significant current going through the narrows - going against it (southbound) I could only hold 3-4kph with minimal wake but was at 6-8kph nearly at idle on the way back.

It was a wonderful day on the water though - so much more fun during the week than on the weekend.

On a side note, my newly acquired 2014 etec 60hp used 1/3 the fuel that the previous 1977 johnny 85 used...holy smokes!

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Been away for a few weeks had a scare when I helped a scuba diver in distress unfortunately he died in my arms it's been hard just looking at my boat you guys probably heard about the incident that happened at guindon park on July 18th I was with the victim in the water

littlerayray

Lieutenant
It's been tough the kids don't understand why I don't want to take the boat out either they just think I'm being mean

CraigBarnard

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thankfully up here on Sparrow Lake the water is still higher than it was in the spring. Havent seen the water this high this late in the summer in a very long time.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks for doing what you could, littlerayray. I hope you and your family recover soon. At my age, I've lost a few friends, but never been present at the time. Such things remind us of our mortality. We need to live for today, but always play safe. - Grandad

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Honestly I only did what I expect of any and all boaters and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again

canuckmark

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I echo grandad's thoughts, thanks for trying. From the news reports it sounds like the deceased was young and in the end it was a medical condition that took him out.

4 or 5 years ago two young guys went canoeing on cooch at christmas time with their newly acquired canoe. (Yes, christmas.) It was a very late fall so there were open patches of water. They capsized at the water in front of the home of brother of a friend of mine - he jumped it to try to help. He found one of them and he was pretty much done already. The other guy wasn't found until spring. It was a terrible tragedy.

In the end, we can only do what we can.

wrench 3

Commander
littlerayray

When something traumatic like that happens in your life, you have to find a spot in your mind where you can put it up on a shelf and take it down and look at it once in a wile. But were it's not in your face all the time.
Good luck

Last edited:

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Heading up to Brockville area tomorrow might take a tent with us and camp on one of the islands if your out in the area and see a blue Tahoe that looks lost its me stop and say hi lol

cdnNick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Brockville area is so nice to boat in, did you end up camping on one of the islands? Looks like it would be fun.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Unfortunately no didn't head out that way I launched below the damn and went to LeBlanc's bay south of lancaster ontario on the quebec side for a few hrs had to be back for my sil birthday party I was told about it at the last minute and hopefully in the next couple of weeks we will make our way down there

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Hi guys. How about some pictures of the places you travel to with your boats? I'm afraid I don't (won't) get around to many new places. I'd like to live vicariously by leering at some of your travels. Here's a shot I took in the morning about 40 years ago somewhere on Georgian Bay that the admiral and I spent the night while boat camping. It was taken on Kodachrome slide film and then digitized on a slide copier that I made from an old Carousel projector. - Grandad

wrench 3

Commander
I don't have anything that spectacular but here goes. We were moored on the lower side of the Rosedale lock (35) and took this shot in the morning. P7280003.JPG P7280010.JPG
We didn't have a lot of company at Coboconk.
P7300014.JPG P7300015.JPG
The top side of the Fenelon Falls lock (34) was a little bissier. The lock is not the highest on the system by far, but it is still impressive.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
and this is a slow weekend normally there are 200 to 300 boats today there was only about 150