1000 Islands Boaters - Potter's Beach

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
For those of you who boat on the Upper St. Lawrence river, have you ever stopped at Potter's Beach on the Northwest end of Grindstone Island?

pottersbeach.jpg

Its one of the only natural beaches in the islands, is owned by a land trust that allows it's recreational use, and I've heard it can get pretty packed. I was going to go on "old homes day" (annual Grindstone party) this year, but turns out I will be down in Georgia for most of August and September, so no dice. I'm thinking of heading up this week or next while I'm on vacation, but wanted to see if any iboaters had been there and what they think of the spot. I'd probably anchor and spend the night.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1000 Islands Boaters - Potter's Beach

For those of you who boat on the Upper St. Lawrence river, have you ever stopped at Potter's Beach on the Northwest end of Grindstone Island?

pottersbeach.jpg

Its one of the only natural beaches in the islands, is owned by a land trust that allows it's recreational use, and I've heard it can get pretty packed. I was going to go on "old homes day" (annual Grindstone party) this year, but turns out I will be down in Georgia for most of August and September, so no dice. I'm thinking of heading up this week or next while I'm on vacation, but wanted to see if any iboaters had been there and what they think of the spot. I'd probably anchor and spend the night.

Ayuh,... Potter's beach is a jammin' spot, most Every weekend, 'n summer holiday...

Probably BOOMIN', right Now...

There's a bay over behind Welsley Is. in lake of the isles that jams pretty regularly too...
Closer to the Bay, than Potters...

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Never been on lake of the isles, the charts show only 2-5 foot soundings in the little bay before the channel leading in there which made me nervous about trying to go there. I'm sure that's unneeded concern cause I know pretty big boats go on the LOTI, but I didn't want to chance it with my new boat without having someone who's made the trip with me.

Which bay on the lake would you be talking about? The two all the way to the west side? I'm just looking at a map and seems like one of those two would be most likely.

Bondo

Staff member

Never been on lake of the isles, the charts show only 2-5 foot soundings in the little bay before the channel leading in there which made me nervous about trying to go there. I'm sure that's unneeded concern cause I know pretty big boats go on the LOTI, but I didn't want to chance it with my new boat without having someone who's made the trip with me.

Which bay on the lake would you be talking about? The two all the way to the west side? I'm just looking at a map and seems like one of those two would be most likely.

Ayuh,.... Basically it's the 1st bay of any size ya come to, when approachin' from the northeast end of the island, on the South shore...

Pretty much where the channel leading into the Lake of the Isles widens into the lake...

'ell,... a couple years ago, there was a floatin' burger joint in there, 'n boat-hops deliverin' food, by jetski....

'n there's plenty of water to get up through the cut, under the Customs station,...
I prefer goin' through Up-stream, as you have better boat control powerin' up, rather than bein' pushed by the current comin' down-stream...
It's well over 2 boats wide, but pretty tight none the less..

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

LOTI.jpg

Sounds like the bay you're talking about is the area I circled in red. If not, sounds like one of those "head that way and you can't miss it" situations.

The shallow area I circled in green is the spot I was talking about that had me concerned, although now looking at it, looks like it wouldn't be a problem as long as you stay near the US/Canada border. And, that is low water datum. The channel itself doesn't worry me since although its narrow, its deep, and I rather take my chances hitting things I can see then things under the water ;)

Good info, thanks neighbor!

Bondo

Staff member

LOTI.jpg

Sounds like the bay you're talking about is the area I circled in red. If not, sounds like one of those "head that way and you can't miss it" situations.

The shallow area I circled in green is the spot I was talking about that had me concerned, although now looking at it, looks like it wouldn't be a problem as long as you stay near the US/Canada border. And, that is low water datum. The channel itself doesn't worry me since although its narrow, its deep, and I rather take my chances hitting things I can see then things under the water ;)

Good info, thanks neighbor!

Ayuh,.... Is that the down-stream end of Welsley,..??

If so, it's the smaller bay, just before yer circle...
I've seen 200/ 300 boats in that little 2'/ 5' of water spot...

That area yer concerned 'bout the depth in has never been a problem,...
The skinny water spot I'm talkin' 'bout is at the other end of Lake of the Isles, goin' through the last little bay, before the cut, under the Customs station...

That pass yer showin' is 'bout 100', or more across,... The cut under the Customs station is maybe 20' or slightly wider...
That's why I like goin' Up-stream, I can hold a position, 'n let the down-streamer pass,... safely...

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yup, thats downstream end of Wellesley, and the way I would go in there. I can see what you're talking about in this area:

LOTI2.jpg

I didn't even think that route would be passable. I must be conservative, but looks like an absolute nightmare trying to go thru that way.

Bondo

Staff member

Yup, thats downstream end of Wellesley, and the way I would go in there. I can see what you're talking about in this area:

LOTI2.jpg

I didn't even think that route would be passable. I must be conservative, but looks like an absolute nightmare trying to go thru that way.

Ayuh,... I've been through there Many times, usually in a 22'er, or Bigger...

Once you've done the full circle loop, it ain't nearly as bad as it looks...
'ell,... it's kinda Fun, goin' under I-81, 'n blowin' yer horn under the bridge...
Ya actually pass right under the new Customs station, 'n the duty-free shop...
Well,... within rock throwin' distance anyways...

Flying Sushi

Seaman

Boating around 1000 Islands is great.. Potter`s beach and Lake of Isles are the most popular spot to hand out. Depth of lake and access points are not a issue for boats under 35 feet (and some larger). They are weedy bottom for the most of area .... Rocks and shoals are well marked. See you on water

Potter`s beach, Typical Weekend
DPP_0001.jpg

Potter`s beach..... Very clean water!
MT8C5935.jpg

Lake of Isles
MT8C6671.jpg

Tubing at Lake of Isles
MT8C4270.jpg

Access point to Lake of Isles
MT8C4126.jpg

Entrance to International Rift, other side of access point to Lake of Isles
0F1T8242.jpg

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I checked out Lake of the Isles today, after spending the night on the hook just off Kring Point State Park. Snapped a few pics, but I'm no photographer..

Morgan and no-name Islands (Morgan is part of Kring, the no-name one is private I presume)
river3.jpg

Sun setting behind Diamond Island
river1.jpg

Channel leading into LOTI the next morning... gotta love early morning river boating :) just look at that water
river2.jpg

LOTI was quiet, but then again I was there from ~1030-1230 on a thursday morning, so mostly fishermen, a ferry or two, and a construction barge being pushed thru. I did some swimming in the second bay from the east on the south side. I will definitely come back and check it out on a weekend, maybe this Saturday in fact. Some nice houses to look at on the approach and lake itself.

So, this weekend, Potters Beach or Lake of the Isles... hmmm

edit: forgot to mention, I got up last night to take a leak, and saw Luna in the channel passing downbound.. Slipped behind Morgan Island before I could snap a useful pic, doubt it would have came out decent anyway due to the low light. I saw her a few days before but didn't want to brave the swarms of boats to get close to her... Still amazing from afar.

eastont

Chief Petty Officer

I will be at Potter's probably Wednesday or Thursday, if the granddaughters agre.....LOL

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm headed up to potter's tomorrow, and I think I'll do some exploring on Grindstone while I'm there. Meant to while I was camping at Canoe Point park a few months ago, but drank a few too many each night to get walking the next day ;)

ThreeMileBayWaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Never even heard of either of those but Ive never been in the river other than near cape Vincent. Was told to stay out unless you have a gps with nautical depth maps. Only beach I've been on is the one near dabalon Point, Cape Vincent.

Might have to look into this.

greekfreek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Going to Potter's beach next week. Lake of the Isles, The Rift, the Canadian Narrows channel, Singer Castle, Eel Bay. Auction at The Antique Boat Museum, Bella's & O'brien's in Clayton.

Bondo

Staff member

Going to Potter's beach next week. Lake of the Isles, The Rift, the Canadian Narrows channel, Singer Castle, Eel Bay. Auction at The Antique Boat Museum, Bella's & O'brien's in Clayton.

Ayuh,.... Left my mind at OB's many a night, back when I still drank,....

Great ginmill, or used to be...

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Wow talk about a flash back.We had a place on Murray Isle in Eel Bay I worked summers on the mail boat out of Grenell Island.
" Mr Ed" about a 25ft Cruiser from the early 40s 2 runs a day to Clayton serving Murray,Frontnac and Grenell.Mail and light groceries.
As teenagers we used to go through the lake of the isles in late 50s and 60s in our little 12 to 15 ft 18 hp boats sometimes you wouldn't see another boat. There was a sunken steam boat at the upstream entrance to the rift, Had a friend that
used to go home in the dark wide open down stream through the rift probably after a night at Obrians. or Foxys.
We used to explore the Bolt canals near the TI Club with our little boats sometimes running wide open.
We used to sneak onto Heart Island in the dark and go through the deserted unrestored castle.
Of course trips to Potters beach you might see one or two other boats there.
There was the time the Tour boats collided in the gut between Murray and Wellesly Island In about 49 when I was 6.
nuff said

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer
We're thinking about bringing our boat up to 1000 Islands from SC. It's a 28' houseboat that cruises at about 8 mph...we can go faster but we don't. We'll be up there about a week and we'll spend every night on the hook. We're looking for Do's and Don'ts for a places to splash, see and anchor, preferably without having to dodge too much commercial traffic.

duck.jpg

Flying Sushi

Seaman
Water level is high this year and boating has been great... There are so many place to do and anchor.... You just need to get here and believe yourself...

Last edited: