Sailing the BVIs

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander
We're looking to charter a sailboat in the BVIs this coming spring and I was wondering if anyone had any experience doing this, or has any recommendations on a good charter company. Were getting info together on must see places for snorkeling and diving, good anchorage spots, great little hole-in-the-wall beach bars, etc.

We have 8-10 people already and sailing experience so we can sail our own boat, possibly a cat. We got verbal approval for up to 40' from one company we contacted.

We were looking at doing the Keys at first and have had a change in latitude. To everyone on here that had interest in the Keys, It would still be awesome if you could make it a little farther southeast! It would be great to have more than 1 boat also. We're looking to make this trip the Jimmy Buffett lifestyle experience kind of thing. Sailing, hanging out, snorkeling, diving, and just a little party atmosphere in general. We also have a dive master going with us.

Gonna be an awesome experience! :cool:

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Sailing the BVIs

It depends mostly upon when it happens. Coming from where I live (Georgia), and having a 20' boat, I'd be relying upon the boats of others for such a trip.;) Let's see how the rest of the crew feels about it.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

I'm totally with you there, vh. Hopefully there will be some interest. :)

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

I'm totally with you there, vh. Hopefully there will be some interest. :)

Well, I can easily guarantee the interest. Whether or not it's gonna happen is the question, now.:) We shall see.

88wellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh Man!!! this is something I've wanted to do for years.
We've always been powerboaters though and i was thinking of a power cat.
My wife went sailing down there on a 50' Beneteau (sp?) for 10 days with her sister and sisters boyfriend a number of years ago....the boyfriend was teaching the new owner how to sail.

make sure you keep a log of you r trip and share when you get back so we can use it as a guide :p

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

Do it! Re-kindle those connections maybe?

We're just in the planning stages right now..we haven't even committed to a charter company yet. I will definitely blog the trip for sure.. :)

The Revenge

Seaman

We use the Moorings and charter the 47' Powercat, bareboat. I can help with any specific questions on the boat and area.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

We use the Moorings and charter the 47' Powercat, bareboat. I can help with any specific questions on the boat and area.

Thanks TR..I'll probably take you up on that as we round out the details. Thanks for the the offer.

ayachtguy

Recruit

Have chartered the BVIs many times on both power and sail and love it. Much better than the Keys, and a lot easier navigation, too, plus more sights. A really good source of information is CharterSavvy, an electronic magazine, at chartersavvy@earthlink.net.

Plan to spend lots of time snorkeling (Indians, caves at Norman) and get to The Baths early before the tourist mobs arrive. If you're antsy about anchoring, most areas have mooring balls available for a small fee that (in my opinion) is well worth it for the peace of mind at 2am when the wind starts to blow.

Happy to help with boat suggestions, so drop a line. I like Moorings, Sunsail, Footloose for well-maintained boats.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

Have chartered the BVIs many times on both power and sail and love it. Much better than the Keys, and a lot easier navigation, too, plus more sights. A really good source of information is CharterSavvy, an electronic magazine, at chartersavvy@earthlink.net.

Plan to spend lots of time snorkeling (Indians, caves at Norman) and get to The Baths early before the tourist mobs arrive. If you're antsy about anchoring, most areas have mooring balls available for a small fee that (in my opinion) is well worth it for the peace of mind at 2am when the wind starts to blow.

Happy to help with boat suggestions, so drop a line. I like Moorings, Sunsail, Footloose for well-maintained boats.

Thanks a bunch for the offer and the link...I'll definitely be in touch with you. Nothing's better than the voice of experience. :)

The group was supposed to get together this weekend but half the people are going to be out on the island (Catalina) again.

sasto

Captain

Hey 12vMan....What is your plans. Are you chartering from the US and headed there, or are you going to fly and grab a charter in the BVI. Which Islands are you looking at? What are your goals? Are you looking to hang on the hook or a marina? Are you looking to sail everyday or expierence the locals? Dang.... I have so many questions which are important to know before giving any advice. I did it in a sportfish with less draft than most sailboats. There are many around with more expierence than me, but I have been there many times.

Have Fun!