Need help identifying a fish (shark?)

brad614

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am not sure if this is the right forum, so forgive me if it isn't. Late yesterday afternoon we were coming out of Caladesi Island when we saw what appeared to be a shark swimming in the shallow water (about 2' deep). It looked be grey or brown in color, about 3 ft. long, and swam just under the surface. It stayed like this for quite a while, but the only real identifying mark was it's dorsal fin. It had a very vivid black diagonal stripe running across the fin. I have been searching Google for hours and can't find anything. Any one have any input?

sasto

Captain
Re: Need help identifying a fish (shark?)

Probably a blacktip

brad614

Petty Officer 2nd Class

At first I thought a blacktip also, but the tip wasn't black. It was the same color as the body. There was a very clear black diagonal stripe across the fin, about halfway down and about 1" thick.

Walcott

Seaman

Black tip reed shark. Look like this guy?

Attachments

• blacktipcolor.JPG
    blacktipcolor.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 0

Walcott

Seaman

sorry. got my post in to the thread a little late.

chriscraft254

Commander

Maybe a white tip? There usually noctornil though. Any pics? Sure it was a shark?

Walcott

Seaman

juvenile nurse sharks are reported to have Brown crossbars on their fins..................maybe a small nurse?

sasto

Captain

Being in shallow water would normally mean a nurse shark. The sandbar shark sounds more like the overall color. As far as the diagonal line on the dorsal fin? This could be something that this shark itself has. Take away the stripe and go from there.

Good Luck!