Tennessee River - Guntersville, AL to Knoxville, TN

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Who has done this? How long did it take? What p[articular points of interest are there? Did you stay in hotels / motels along the way or camp? Tell me your story. I grew up in Huntsville, AL and have been wanting to take this trip for a number of years. Thanks.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Tennessee River - Guntersville, AL to Knoxville, TN

Google "Tennessee River Cruises" for good reading. To find out about the specific boat docks, motels, etc.--Google each lake for facilities info. There's quite a lot to see around Knoxville/Ft. Loudon and around Chattanooga.

From Guntersville to Knoxville (Mile 652), it's about 300 miles. The time it takes to lock through Nickajack, Chickamauga and Watts Bar Dams are the wild cards.

You might trailer your boat to Knoxville, and leave the tow vehicle/trailer there. Then, boat one way taking your time. If you have a breakdown, you can rent a car to get back to your tow vehicle. Stash your boat in a marina in Guntersville for a day, and get someone to ferry you back to your tow vehicle. By car, it's 200 miles from Knoxville to Guntersville--all interstate and 4 lane except for 15 miles.

The Tennessee River is undoubtedly the premier cruising river in the U.S., with magnificant lakes, cities, state parks and mountains along the way.

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer

I'd like to do the full length; from Kentucky Lake to Mobile Bay. We had a group from the Power Squadron do it a few years ago. They hired drivers to take their tow vehicles to Destin for the pick up. I can't remember why I didn't go.

Chuck1a

Seaman

We have done it from Chattanooga to Knoxville and back took 4 days round trip. We've been the other way done to Guntersville, but just for a day trip.

andyk2

Cadet

It's on my to do list. Only been as far as Chattanooga. It's about a 3 hour cruise from Goose Pond.

andyk2

Cadet

"I'd like to do the full length; from Kentucky Lake to Mobile Bay"

The Tn does not go to Mobile Bay. It starts in Knoxville and ends at the Ohio river. You are thinking of the Tenn-Tom waterway and Tom Biggbee river. It starts around Pickwick and goes to the Gulf.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Do you know the largest inland marinas in the U.S. are on Pickwick Lake, TN @ Yellow Creek?

I have a Memphis buddy that seasonally moved his 42' Jefferson from Pickwick (Yellow Creek) to Gulf Shores, AL--where he owns a house and beachfront. He always dreaded the trip, as there is no interesting scenery along the way. There are few marinas with fuel and places to tie up at night. Pickwick cruisers call the Tenn-Tom "the big ditch"--400 miles of boring. The only really good lake is 20 miles south of the Tennessee River/Pickwick--called Bay Springs Lake.

On the other hand, the Tennessee River simply gets more beautiful the farther you go east.

You have a choice of hotels or state parks in Western KY/Land Between the Lakes, Paris, TN, Counce, TN, Florence/Rogersville, AL, Guntersville. Chattanooga has fine marinas, and many things to do downtown walking from the city docks. They also have fine facilities above Chickamauga Lake/Chattanooga all the way to Knoxville.

When it comes to easy, comfortable cruising, the Tennessee River is tops.

Rg2020

Recruit
I have a pontoon top speed 22 I was wondering if anyone can help me I’m thinking of taking a trip from hunters like to Chattanooga anybody that can tell a ballpark of how long it will take and are there plenty of gas stops.

Status
Not open for further replies.