Fort Lauderdale to Key West by boat on the ICW? suggestions please?

sunblock90

Cadet
We are taking a 26' Twin Vee Express with a cuddy cabin from Fort Lauderdale to Key West and we have 10 days to do the trip and the return. I have read about No Name bar and Islamorada Fish Company in the Keys as well as Alabama Jacks. There are two of us and we plan to sleep on the boat. Any suggestions on cool restaurants, bars, marinas, and anchorages would be appreciated.

sasto

Captain
Re: Fort Lauderdale to Key West by boat on the ICW? suggestions please?

Hi sunblock,

I would pick up a publication from "Skipper Bob". (West Marine) For $17 you can gain alot of info on anchorages, free docking, and problem areas. Never been to Alabama Jacks, but the other 2 make a good stop.

PS: Had a many good nights at Club Peace and Plenty, Two Turtles, and some others I can't remember in George Town.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

No Name Pub is okay but is land based, checkout Keys Fisheries, bayside in Marathon, very good hogfish sandwiches. Alabama Jacks is over rated and out of the way, Islamorda Fish Company is expensive and fair at best.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

In Key West, don't miss Mallory Square at sunset for the freaks & geeks and have dinner at Hogs Breath saloon. Sloppy Joes is very commercial (and $$$), but Irish Kevin's is always a good time. There is a seafood buffet on Duval, about 3 block from the square. Food is amazing.

sasto

Captain

sunblock is chillin' with a Kalik.....and dreaming.

I wanna go where he is, and he want's to come here....go figure:cool:

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

sunblock is chillin' with a Kalik.....and dreaming.

I wanna go where he is, and he want's to come here....go figure:cool:

I was born and raised in NYC. As a kid, I couldn't grasp the concept of people wanting to vacation in NYC. ...Funny how things start coming into perspective when ya grow up.:rolleyes:

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

EVERY tourist place is a great place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there. Funny how so many people live there, though...

I guess you have to be somewhere, huh?

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

EVERY tourist place is a great place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there. Funny how so many people live there, though...

I guess you have to be somewhere, huh?

As a kid, I'd always said, "New York... It's a great place to live; but you wouldn't want to visit there." Just thought it sounded cool... (as a kid):cool:

Yes... I guess you do have to be somewhere. Nettles Island in September!!!:D

sasto

Captain

I guess I scared sunblock away. I don't know you or your peeps, sunblock, and I certainally don't know any of the Knowles Family in the Exumas. I have never met anybody there by the name of Austin either.;)

Come back!

skim61

Seaman Apprentice

I am not sure if you have already done this trip, but if not, or you are still in the Keys, definitely don't miss the Lorelei just north of Islamorada Fish Company. They have the best sunset celebrations and grouper sandwich around.

I lived in Islamorada for eight years. If your down for some relaxing the Snake Creek sandbar is the place to party.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Will the next person visiting the Keys please look for my liver? I don't think you could miss it...it has to be huge, inflamed, and probably smells like beer...;)