New Jersey Boating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: New Jersey Boating

Rube, From the Hudson River to Atlantic City means a trip around Sandy Hook, and a run across the open ocean to the Manasquan Inlet. From there you take the Pt. Pleasant Canal to Barnegat Bay, and the ICW all the way to Atlantic City. The canal is all no wake and has a swift current depending on the tide. Some parts of Barnegat Bay are shallow, especially the northern part of the bay, and parts near Brigantine.

If it were me, I would take the ICW one day and then go along the coast in the ocean on the other day. Obviously the calmest day can be on the ocean.

rube740

Seaman Apprentice

Hay Chris, the only thing about the ocean is that it kind of makes me nervous. It's only my second year with my boat and the word "ocean" really scares my wife! But I did alot of research and my planned route was just as you stated. I know going down the ICW will take me a zillion years but the scenery is nice so I planned for my return trip to come back in the ocean. But I'm guessing if the weather is nice the ocean shouldn't be THAAAT harmful...

Sasto 2 boats are better then 1! My wife loves to cook so I got the food and beer covered. I hope you like poker and blackjack cause if you do we will be together alllll day once we get to AC. my wife doesn't enjoy being at the table to much.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Rube, You have a 26 footer. The ocean will not be an issue, provided it is 3 footers or less. Note the GPS numbers for Absecon, Brigentine, Barnegat and Manasquan inlets, and you can always duck into one of them if the ocean blows up. If the ocean does blow up, throttle down and plow water until you get into the bay. Have a plan to stay overnight at a marina in Manasquan inlet, if necessary.

The only tricky/dangerous part of the trip is the part from Sandy Hook to Manasquan Inlet and back.

George_NJ

Recruit

Old thread I know.... I boat on Lake Hopatcong 99% of the time (week days). 20 years ago when I lived down in Bergen County, I used to put my old Glaspar run about in the Hackensack River in Secaucus at the Red Roof In hotel. I've been boating on Wallenpaupac & Greenwood Lake, too.

This past July we took the pontoon down to Barnegat Bay and camped onboard (pitched a tent on the deck) for 3 days 2 nights. We put in at the Jersey Shore Marina in T/R at the head of the Musc? river. BOY, I was surprised how shallow it was, even in a pontoon. We enjoyed the camping so much, I bought a cabin cruiser to camp on the water with. In the boating off season we do a lot of camping with our travel trailer, so the cruiser will be just like having a house on the water for us ;)

Attachments

• IMG_5231.JPG
    IMG_5231.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5224.jpg
    IMG_5224.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5278.JPG
    IMG_5278.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 0

lrak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I grew up in NJ and did most of my boating on Hopatcong. But if you are in north Jersey, the boat ramp under the GW Bridge has many great sights nearby. The Statue of Liberty, South Street Seaport, TZ Bridge, West Point, Newburgh, etc are all within a few hours. Online it says it is only for 24' boats, but I swear I've seen bigger there.

Status
Not open for further replies.