Boating in the Absecon Bay/ Reeds Bay/ (Around Atlantic City NJ Area)

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hi,

I'm 27 and been boating in a lake my entire life and have owned a variety of boats. I have taken a few courses but it's been a long time! I want to stretch my comfort level as I have debated running in the bay for a long time but I have alot of concerns.

My partner's parents have a beach house in Brigantine Beach: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Briga...39974,-65.390625&sspn=15.01701,28.168945&z=12

What do I need to know? Do I need to get a VHF radio? What kind? or will a cell phone do? Where can I find maps of depth? (fear of ending up in some shallow everglade and the tide drops)... How does one navigate around such a large area? Stupid question- but I want to return safely and in one piece to the location I departed from...

I know my boat is small and lightweight and I know it's limitations. Just dont want to make the front page of any news....

Thanks for any advice!
-Chris

sdride

Seaman
Re: Boating in the Absecon Bay/ Reeds Bay/ (Around Atlantic City NJ Area)

someone else can answer your questions better but i do know that the public boat launch is free this year. it used to be $25 per day.

If you are just going to be in the bay and inlets a cell phone would be ok. If you are going to leave the protection of those areas a radio is a must have item. I'm sure most people will say it's a must have.

you can get the charts at any of the local marinas. Also a handheld GPS might work well for you. You can load the local nav maps and you can also set your launch point and have the gps mark your position over the course of your trip. you can always backtrack that way or skip over the last waypoints and just navigate back to your starting point.

gtochris

You are refering to the one on the island? that would be awesome as I'm sure I would need it more than once! I asked the guy guarding it last year and I think he said $35 for the week.

sdride

Seaman

Yeah thats the one. it's 100% free now but the parking lot is small. I used it last week and it was pretty empty. i do not think most people other than locals know it's free.

DBreskin

Keep in mind the charts are dated and the bottom changes every year, or every week if the storms are severe. Watch where other boats go and follow them if you want to avoid grounding. Be sure to know the tide schedule and avoid shallow areas at low tide.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I have done some boating in that area, years ago. The channels, creeks and waterways of Brigantine are diverse, and lots of fun. Absecon inlet has a cove and lagoon off of it where folks hang out. It can get pretty crowed. You can hit the ocean on nice days. Also the back waters of Atlantic city are interesting as well. Once you get out past the Airport, if I remember correctly, the bay is real shallow, so watch yourself. From Brigantine island north , following the channel is pretty cool, and you can run up into Barnegat Bay.

I recommend you take it slow, and learn the channels, so you don't get lost or aground. I would expect cell phone coverage to be excellent, but do test it out.

if you are using that sterndrive, you might want to opt for a stainless prop, as you will chew up at least one aluminum prop a year dragging bottom.

gtochris

Chris,
I have a backup prop, I'll likely just go where the big boats go for fear of running aground, Even on our lake I dont explore the shallows because they are shallow.

I'll keep you all posted on my adventure:)