calling all lake mead boaters! nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral
The upper basin is sending 8.2 million acre feet into Lake Mead, up from 7.5 million acre feet, use it wisely fellas, this is gaining more and more press in the Rocky Mountains, I think this will become a huge issue if the lower basin continues to deplete Lake Mead beyond this year.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/w...-mead-24970586

Last edited:

fishrdan

Admiral
My wife came up with a sudden idea to invite the inlaws from Nebraska to join us on Lake Powell next month.......

and take the driveshaft to the shop to find the vibration.

Powell, that's cool! I've wanted to get out over there, but it hasn't happened so far.

Call the park service over there, before heading over, and see what they want as far as inspections. It's not like Mead where you just pull up and dunk the boat. I would make sure every inch of the boat is bone dry, also drain the engine and drive. If you happen to drive through rain going over to Page, be sure to dry the boat before going through the lake inspection. As a precaution, I'd pull over in Big Water and drop the drive and check to see if the engine drains are still dry. I'm not sure how bad they are at Powell, but I've heard of other lakes turning boats away if they had any traces of water in them.......

fishrdan

Admiral
The upper basin is sending 8.2 million acre feet into Lake Mead, up from 7.5 million acre feet, use it wisely fellas, this is gaining more and more press in the Rocky Mountains, I think this will become a huge issue if the lower basin continues to deplete Lake Mead beyond this year.

I saw that awhile back, but the article I read said that 8.2 million acre feet is still lower than the average yearly release from Powell to Mead. I'm not arguing that this isn't a good thing, but it's not going over and beyond what has been allocated in past years.

sam60

Captain
Powell, that's cool! I've wanted to get out over there, but it hasn't happened so far.

Call the park service over there, before heading over, and see what they want as far as inspections. It's not like Mead where you just pull up and dunk the boat. I would make sure every inch of the boat is bone dry, also drain the engine and drive. If you happen to drive through rain going over to Page, be sure to dry the boat before going through the lake inspection. As a precaution, I'd pull over in Big Water and drop the drive and check to see if the engine drains are still dry. I'm not sure how bad they are at Powell, but I've heard of other lakes turning boats away if they had any traces of water in them.......

Good advice, thanks FD.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant
lake powell indian site i was there..jpg
Not sure about Lake Mead as it's been awhile. My wife came up with a sudden idea to invite the inlaws from Nebraska to join us on Lake Powell next month. So, in the next 5 weeks I need to reseal the leaking rear axle on my truck and take the driveshaft to the shop to find the vibration.

I started the boat today and half of the guages are working. :facepalm: I have some work to do, but this is a trip we must do. 5-1/2 hour tow to the lake.

Must do for powell--- rainbow bridge,dangling rope marina and indian sites.

When I was at powell like 5 times we visited rainbow and this secret cove with huge over hang where there was like 15 boats having lunch at 1; rainbow bridge.jpg rainbow bridge after.jpg lake powell shaded cove.jpg 00pm in the shade.before and after pics of rainbow included.

Last edited:

tt600

Seaman
As of April no more mussel inspections at Lake Powell. As someone who has been to both the fishing is better at Powell except in Dec, Jan and Feb. I used to go to Mead in the winter but I am currently waiting for more water.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant
Thanks tt600,, it was so awesome, and when we went to ruins it was so steep that one person had to stay behind to keep boat adrift, and the footsteps up the steep wall were so little and sandy and wet. if I could have I would have cliff dived back down but it wasn't possible till I got to the spot where my heart beated normal again.

NO WHINERS

Petty Officer 1st Class
Fishing Mead last night at the intake and snagged a rod and reel off the bottom in 65 feet of water..It was really covered with mussels.. The pipe for the inlet is about 10-15 feet from shore in 65 feet of water. Not sure how far the straw goes down. Launch ramp at Hemmingway is getting real low and not fun if windy. The ramp at Boulder looks better with sort of a canal look from the ramp to the lake..

NO WHINERS

Petty Officer 1st Class
Did u get any fish?
No fish last night. 1 striper earlier..Going out Sat morning early..Its been tough fishing for us the past few days..Early in the wash we find a few boils but they don't stay up long. Fished the wash, swallow area all over the lower basin. We have used live shad, all types of shad lures, jig deep to 100 foot..Maybe tomorrow or Sunday or Monday..?? After that Im gone back to Cali until around Sept 15th..

MRS

Commander
Good luck out there have not fished Mead in a long time usually at Havasu. When fishing at Mead did pretty good with gold cast masters.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant
Was wondering if you all could put up pics of launch ramps if you go there..thanks,, and maybe water hazards you see,this would be awesome.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander
No Title

I was out at TBar over the weekend. We launched with no issues from the West side of the ramp. the east side is better, but if you do launch from the West just be sure to stay a couple feet from the dock. It gets real shallow about 12 feet away.
I also ran across this cool pic of the dam before the lake was filled. It's actually starting to look like this again, unfortunately.

Attachments

• photo207973.jpg
    photo207973.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 0

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys, just got some bad news.. I got an estimate for aqua marine to tear down my engine so that I could take the crankcase cover off to have it welded. They quoted me approximately a thousand dollars, I've already removed the flywheel and the stator, and I do have the manual for the book for this engine. But seeing as though I've never tore down the engine past the carburetor I'm afraid to attempt it because the engine runs fine and I don't want to mess it up. With that said, does anyone know a boat mechanic here in vegas who could assist me? I wouldn't mind paying, I just can't pay $1000... and the reason I need to have the crankcase cover removed is because the arms that attach to the starter broke off,I took it to a master welder and he said he could fix it but I would need to take the cover off and bring it to him. Any input would be appreciated thanks

MRS

Commander
You mean the engine case needs to be welded for the starter tab? got a photo, if that is the cost it would be cheaper to get a long block.

MRS

Commander
oop's looks like outboard thought is was a inboard sorry cannot help maybe someone will chime in.
might try in the outboard section sure someone will help you out.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Yeah motor boater try a new thread over in the OB section. You'll get much better help over there.

Status
Not open for further replies.