calling all lake mead boaters! nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant
hi fellas; that time of year to start looking for better weather this winter.

looks like the elevation on mead is about the same as this spring. would i be able to launch 310 sea ray at temple. also would it be worth the extra drive to try cottonwood cove down on mohave - boat camping sights and water temp?

the 230 is going away so 310 will be only option now. will miss that boat.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant
I was out there for a nice 'Father's Day' break for a few days during the latest heat wave and got a great sunset pic from the Trailer Village in Temple Bar on Saturday.

The NPS was there over the weekend and took care of the launch ramp situation as there was a sand bar stretching across both ramps about 40' out, just past the courtesy dock. It's all good now.

hi 12v; made powell with the 230 for fathers day. bit warm but had a very good time. took my sone and granddaughter to page. first time she had been to powell and camped on a boat so great trip all around. made page twice and halls crossing once this summer.

really want to get back into getting to mead to winter this year. hope the launch condition you mention here are still in working order :) - 2- >>>

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander
That's nice Jax. I'm still looking forward to the day I can get back to Powell.

We've made our 'laundry list' for upgrades/repairs to the trailer at T-Bar this winter. I probably won't get there until early March. A group was there for Thanksgiving but didn't hit the water that I know of.

The last I heard the launch ramps are in good shape as the water elevation is slowly creeping up so you should be fine. Happy Holidays!

jaxnjil

Lieutenant
glad to hear you are still around. looking to launch from meadview or temple some time after the mid jan 017.

depending on weather here .

planing on 4 to 6 weeks on the lake. hope to see you at temple. march would be a good time to. the days are getting longer and seems to warm up a bit more there on mead then.

premature to mention but have been looking at property there at mead view to retire. not sure about the summer heat though.

been 7 years since i was back to mead. have wanted to get down every winter. think it will come together this winter, looking good now to go.

will try to keep in touch with you mead guys over the next few months.

:) 2-->>>>

fishrdan

Admiral
Hey Jax, good to see you back again. I don't visit here as much now either...

I was at Cottonwood Cove last weekend, good launch ramp and it shouldn't be an issue launching your rig. Water should be back to where they hold it year-round now after the October draw-down. Mohave doesn't fluctuate much like Mead and Powell... Water temps were 59*.

I've camped a couple times at Mohave, going up north around MM30. Stay away from places with road access, been out there more than once with the yokels shooting guns. Get away from the roads and it's not an issue.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant
Dan; thanks much for the up date. have thought about mohave. the marina at cottonwood cove is nice and if i was going to stay at a marina that would be my choice over the boulder bay marinas.the water always seems to be warmer,in the winter at mead, when i have been there. since i stay on the boat the, 50* to 55* water attracts me to mead. the water level is much more stable on mohave as you said.

still looking good to go for mid jan. found out to day, might even get genset back for this trip #//# westerbeke generators......

jill can't come down but i will be happy to get to lower elevation and warmer weather.

turned winter here in the yampa valley and skiing picked up this week end. they are full out, making snow in steamboat springs. the kids love it but my old bones don't.

if don't hear from you guys before,merry christmas and happy new year.

:) 2 -->>>

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander
No Title

Well, Powell is down some 27' from it's high last July of '16 and currently holding pretty steady. Mead is at 1088' and presently going up at the rate of about 1' every 10 days. We still need over 45' elevation to go up the mouth of the Colorado River safely. I hope the snow pack is good!
Here's a pic of the launch ramp at Temple Bar from Sat 2/18/17. Launching conditions couldn't be more perfect if you're headed there!
Cheers, 12vMan

Attachments

• photo259183.jpg
    photo259183.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 1

jjacobs007

Lieutenant
Hey jjacobs007 , How ya doing?

I'm doing great sam60, just finished putting a 1970. Johnson 60hp on my 1987 Bayliner and I'm ready for spring fishing, found a sweet hole last yr stripers were holding on hope to catch them again soon, thanks for asking I still read all posts here.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant
Well, Powell is down some 27' from it's high last July of '16 and currently holding pretty steady. Mead is at 1088' and presently going up at the rate of about 1' every 10 days. We still need over 45' elevation to go up the mouth of the Colorado River safely. I hope the snow pack is good!
Here's a pic of the launch ramp at Temple Bar from Sat 2/18/17. Launching conditions couldn't be more perfect if you're headed there!
Cheers, 12vMan

Sweet, 1 ft a week almost, large mouth are bedding already, callville is my favorite marina and campground and fishing destination.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander
Well, Mead topped out at 1089' and is slowly receding. We went there last week and the ramp conditions are still excellent. Up to 5 boats can launch at one time right now. It hasn't been like that for quite some time. The water has warmed up quite a bit as well because of the warm weather they've been experiencing.

DligX5sbOPJRFOIcreTMiOGHdZp7eNYoQwLBw9xPYkYzT4cMTD6DYKYxDQgmSNcUzrGIm-vTlAfisuAsOEhpmYtRWebWrvMK88BxA0jBgszkCqHyaQCkqzjMKZPQiqgjCTRA67VuOLGcvnImzsuRm4X9Xe6eNevrutoXSf6eSWPRDYeF1uRvaeI_RX8d2HongoKOiVbdasM1HLUJLwz5GNoUuEynTlO1i5MvhB9cwn1YWZFfwH3CrRsvXLbMCfkCphmebYjdFok4qfLE0RLykqSajZt0ayVDNQ6dBDPzGwQ0hPywEUYWZqXle7m9P7-E_qfnRoIL4OVNLg1da-aFLEfUYfCdpYOqX-oKxrc_9rNOhhz1rZBZx0F_4TSbd6MTVUygEQcZNOKmfr1oaUSnR77zy5E6RBcrZfKBP9PsnzB7q_C9cxuNlnXjmdVrRH_aHbEVZVojE19ZUUcYpoLsSn2IOv_VtSJUj7WVImcpnreE7T3MWiXRPLiIm4geXzDXaRrvtjY0mkb_GG4qBLSQK4olRGLfEslIbGw85sLljg5erJ9AoyoPt7r5IOJZcWeqSAERMHDH14bgHzibhYH0YC9FT8dn5dt1UAck3qZ8esqMA0Ms9wQ1=w1680-h945-no

Here's a link to a web cam at Lake Mead Marina: http://www.alltravelcams.com/nevada/lake_mead_marina.php

sam60

Captain
Well, Mead topped out at 1089' and is slowly receding. We went there last week and the ramp conditions are still excellent. Up to 5 boats can launch at one time right now. It hasn't been like that for quite some time. The water has warmed up quite a bit as well because of the warm weather they've been experiencing.

DligX5sbOPJRFOIcreTMiOGHdZp7eNYoQwLBw9xPYkYzT4cMTD6DYKYxDQgmSNcUzrGIm-vTlAfisuAsOEhpmYtRWebWrvMK88BxA0jBgszkCqHyaQCkqzjMKZPQiqgjCTRA67VuOLGcvnImzsuRm4X9Xe6eNevrutoXSf6eSWPRDYeF1uRvaeI_RX8d2HongoKOiVbdasM1HLUJLwz5GNoUuEynTlO1i5MvhB9cwn1YWZFfwH3CrRsvXLbMCfkCphmebYjdFok4qfLE0RLykqSajZt0ayVDNQ6dBDPzGwQ0hPywEUYWZqXle7m9P7-E_qfnRoIL4OVNLg1da-aFLEfUYfCdpYOqX-oKxrc_9rNOhhz1rZBZx0F_4TSbd6MTVUygEQcZNOKmfr1oaUSnR77zy5E6RBcrZfKBP9PsnzB7q_C9cxuNlnXjmdVrRH_aHbEVZVojE19ZUUcYpoLsSn2IOv_VtSJUj7WVImcpnreE7T3MWiXRPLiIm4geXzDXaRrvtjY0mkb_GG4qBLSQK4olRGLfEslIbGw85sLljg5erJ9AoyoPt7r5IOJZcWeqSAERMHDH14bgHzibhYH0YC9FT8dn5dt1UAck3qZ8esqMA0Ms9wQ1=w1680-h945-no

Here's a link to a web cam at Lake Mead Marina: http://www.alltravelcams.com/nevada/lake_mead_marina.php

I hope to get the motorhome over there this fall with some Grandkids and rent that spot below you, Rent a boat and create some memories for them. Boatless.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander
Good to hear the levels are up. This photo of the narrows in Oct 2016 - does it still look like that?

It's only up about 11' from where it was at that time gg. It's hardly noticeable in the Narrows, but where there was nice sandy beaches, there may be muddy or rocky shores and vice-versa.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander
I hope to get the motorhome over there this fall with some Grandkids and rent that spot below you, Rent a boat and create some memories for them. Boatless.

When did you sell? I must have missed that. They've got plenty of rentals there Sam. Let us know when you're planning the trip and we'll keep the light on for ya! :)

sam60

Captain
Buyer picked it around the first of March. Question 12V, those hook-ups below are 50 Amp, correct?

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander
Question 12V, those hook-ups below are 50 Amp, correct?

They must be 50A. 30 would never cut it with the newer coaches running 2 AC's that stay there, and I'm sure they aren't all using reducers. Be sure to ask when you call to reserve just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.