calling all lake mead boaters! nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam60

Captain
I'm glad about that...I've never experienced that type of problem either... :D

If towing from Phoenix this summer, what would be the closest or best (or both) ramp to use for a couple days? Is it possible to tow across the Dam?

Thanks

fishrdan

Admiral
If towing from Phoenix this summer, what would be the closest or best (or both) ramp to use for a couple days? Is it possible to tow across the Dam?

Hoover Dam's old road is blocked off on the AZ side, so you can't drive from AZ directly to NV across the dam, you have to take the bypass bridge. Dam access is from the NV side only, and you have to drive 2-3 miles past the dam, then take the access road back.You'll have to go through the vehicle security check point to get to the dam, and I'm not sure what they would say with a boat/trailer, might turn you back, maybe not. There isn't much double vehicle parking by the dam, couple of spots at the bridge walking path parking lot, and "maybe" at the parking garage right at the dam if they allow trailers. Worst case, drop your trailer at the Hacienda's east parking lot, and then go visit the dam. Google map it and you'll see.

If coming from AZ, my first choice would be Temple Bar on the east end of the lake, next would be Hemenway and then Lake Mead Marina, both on the south end of the lake. T Bar and Hemenway have marina's with fuel and such, Lake Mead Marina is just a ramp now. There is also South Cove on the extreme east end of the lake, but it's just a ramp, out in the middle of no-where, with no services, and I wouldn't launch there unless you want to get away from everything (like I do).

Hemenway, Lake Mead Marina and the Vegas basin of the lake can be like a zoo during the summer, while T Bar is has less traffic. Of course, you will need to check LMNRA's website before you head out to make sure the place you are going to is open. Low water could close a ramp or a flood could wipe out a road, etc....

Have fun out there!

Hoover Dam's old road is blocked off on the AZ side, so you can't drive from AZ directly to NV across the dam, you have to take the bypass bridge. Dam access is from the NV side only, and you have to drive 2-3 miles past the dam, then take the access road back.You'll have to go through the vehicle security check point to get to the dam, and I'm not sure what they would say with a boat/trailer, might turn you back, maybe not. There isn't much double vehicle parking by the dam, couple of spots at the bridge walking path parking lot, and "maybe" at the parking garage right at the dam if they allow trailers. Worst case, drop your trailer at the Hacienda's east parking lot, and then go visit the dam. Google map it and you'll see.

If coming from AZ, my first choice would be Temple Bar on the east end of the lake, next would be Hemenway and then Lake Mead Marina, both on the south end of the lake. T Bar and Hemenway have marina's with fuel and such, Lake Mead Marina is just a ramp now. There is also South Cove on the extreme east end of the lake, but it's just a ramp, out in the middle of no-where, with no services, and I wouldn't launch there unless you want to get away from everything (like I do).

Hemenway, Lake Mead Marina and the Vegas basin of the lake can be like a zoo during the summer, while T Bar is has less traffic. Of course, you will need to check LMNRA's website before you head out to make sure the place you are going to is open. Low water could close a ramp or a flood could wipe out a road, etc....

Have fun out there!

Yea thanks, I was researching here ( http://www.nps.gov/lake/learn/news/lakeconditions.htm ) and decided Temple Bar was the one. Looking forward to the trip.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander
You will love Temple Bar. That part of the lake is awesome.

I agree! :joyous: I'm headed there to watch Super Bowl 50! Should be real nice this weekend. The bar is opening up just for the event, and we've got most of the T-Bar summer crowd going to be there. I don't have a fav between the 2 teams, just going for the party. May the best quarterback win!

Last edited:
I agree! :joyous: I'm headed there to watch Super Bowl 50! Should be real nice this weekend. The bar is opening up just for the event, and we've got most of the T-Bar summer crowd going to be there. I don't have a fav between the 2 teams, just going for the party. May the best quarterback win!

Awesome.The boat has the outdrive off right now for bellows replacement but Temple Bar is a must do for me. Once I figure out how to get those hoses back on :mad-new:

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander
Awesome.The boat has the outdrive off right now for bellows replacement but Temple Bar is a must do for me. Once I figure out how to get those hoses back on :mad-new:

I had the gimbal bearing replaced last year by the shop at T-Bar and the mechanic did an excellent job, so if you need any assistance from there I recommend them. It's never shifted so smoothly after the linkage adjustment. They just completed a full service of the motor and outdrive last week as well.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant
hi guys; long time no post.

looking to be at page and might try to drop down to temple bar.

mead has changed so much in the last few years, was wondering if you guys could help me out on the conditions at temple.

been 5 years since i was there. time flies.....................

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander
No Title

hi guys; long time no post.

looking to be at page and might try to drop down to temple bar.

mead has changed so much in the last few years, was wondering if you guys could help me out on the conditions at temple.

been 5 years since i was there. time flies.....................

Long time Jax!

The conditions at the ramp are greatly improved since last year. The NPS came in August '15 with heavy equipment and dredged out the launch area. We're launching on the concrete ramp with excellent conditions.

Here's some before and after pics:

Attachments

• photo240590.jpg
    photo240590.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 1
  • photo240591.jpg
    photo240591.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo240592.jpg
    photo240592.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo240593.jpg
    photo240593.jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 1

jaxnjil

Lieutenant
THANKS 12V;

jil starts her vacation 4-15. have to go to page, but then free to move. looking for better weather and warmer water.

been a long cold winter up here.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant
No Title

I'm back meaders, new truck and 87 bayliner with85hp force,miss mead terribly, glad to see you all still here.

Attachments

• photo240730.jpg
    photo240730.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 0

jaxnjil

Lieutenant
hi guys;
still a coin flip whether to stay at powell or come to temple bar.

can any one tell me what the water temp is in the virgin basin ? would the ******* arm be warmer?

the weather is always tricky this time of year. it will add 350 miles one way to come to mead so, trying to find out before hand.

also any covered or open storage on the az side of mead, you guys might recommend? up to as far as kingmen?

leaving the yampa valley 5-15.

not sure why they stared out OVER TON ARM??

Last edited:

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander
No Title

not sure why they stared out OVER TON ARM??

Any word that is spelled like a competitor will be hidden so as not to advertise their name on this site.

Update on the T-Bar ramp situation. The lake elevation has been plummeting and Powell is rising, so the ramp is back to mud again for this year I'm afraid. Both sides of the dock are still open and they place a metal ramp there for traction, so you're not actually launching in the mud. It doesn't look pretty, but the launching as actually pretty good. You can see by the pic below how much it's gon down since I last posted a pic of the ramp in March! The current elevation is 1074. Full pool 1225 +-. What's 150 feet between friends!:D

Attachments

• photo244269.jpg
    photo244269.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 0

sam60

Captain
I used to launch on the side where the barricades are & over the top of the "island" that exists now. Had to get the truck real wet if using the dockside ramp.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander
I used to launch on the side where the barricades are & over the top of the "island" that exists now. Had to get the truck real wet if using the dockside ramp.

Yes, I've done the same. Especially when the launch slope is less than the preferred 14% you have to get way out to float your boat if you have a deeper V hull.

Here's an article a friend just brought to my attention on the lake level. It's supposed to drop another 3-4 feet after having already reached record lows since the construction of Hoover Dam:

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey fellas. Been a while since ive been on here. Just wanted to see if anyone knew of someone selling an outboard motor. Im looking for a 40hp mercury electric start preferably. I have one already but it needs new coil packs and the timing needs to be done. I figured its cheaper to just buy another used motor. It will be less than parts and labor for the one i have now.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander
No Title

I was out there for a nice 'Father's Day' break for a few days during the latest heat wave and got a great sunset pic from the Trailer Village in Temple Bar on Saturday.

The NPS was there over the weekend and took care of the launch ramp situation as there was a sand bar stretching across both ramps about 40' out, just past the courtesy dock. It's all good now.

Attachments

• photo246549.jpg
    photo246549.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 2

sam60

Captain
I was out there for a nice 'Father's Day' break for a few days during the latest heat wave and got a great sunset pic from the Trailer Village in Temple Bar on Saturday.
We hope to get out there this fall and rent the full hook up space that I like. Awesome place.

Status
Not open for further replies.