Nautical Maps - Georgian Bay / Great Lakes

E_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone might have a nautical map of Georgian Bay or any bodies of water listed below. I'm thinking of launching there next weekend and I want to be sure to be extra safe. You know how it is when your out there, one minute your cruising without a worry and the next your heart drops because you can see rocks all around. I really don't want to lose my motor.

Any map you have would be very useful - Wasaga/Nottawasaga, Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Lake Ontario, Lake Erie, Lake Huron, etc.

In the United States, the NOAA distributes all these maps for free while in Canada they try to sell copies of these maps for an arm and a leg - simply disguising and rude if you ask me (and many). Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Thanks.

E.

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Nautical Maps - Georgian Bay / Great Lakes

You should be able to down load for free on line at the NOAA site.

Dick Sorensen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looking for used charts of the Georgian Bay is really being 'short-sighted.' That body of water sprouts granite "speed bumps" in enormous quantities....the safest plan of action is to get the latest chart you can find....not something from the past. Another resource to give some background info is www.continouswave.com.....go to the small boat channel trip...great stuff. Have a safe trip.

E_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies Solar and ****. Since Solar is right about being able to get a SMALL scale map of Georgian Bay on the NOAA site, perhaps I should rephrase my question:
Does anyone have any LARGE SCALE maps of any of these Lakes? I know that the NOAA copy does not show the Wasaga Beach river, and this is where I would have to launch. So greater detail is of need.

Anything you have on hand would be very appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,

E

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm with **** Sorenson,

Georgian Bay is not a body of water to be trifled with. I'm willing to bet it is the worlds capital for wrecked props and outdrives.

Get yourself a proper set of Canadian Hydrographic Services charts or you'll be here after your trip asking about cheap boat/prop/drive repairs.

As set of charts to cover most of the 30 000 islands in Georgian Bay should only set you back about $40-60 which is REALLY cheap insurance.

Once you do get a nice set of new charts come and enjoy some of the best boating in the world.

Cheers.

MolsonCanadian

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After launching at Nancy Island (I assume) where do you plan on heading?

E_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Molson,

Thanks for replying. I hope to cruise around the southern part of the bay with a couple of friends, maybe tubing or fishing, tanning, bbq, etc. I've never launched there and I'd be much more confident with the charts.

I don't plan to venture outside the bay but you never know.

How about you, where do go and what do you like doing out there?

After launching at Nancy Island (I assume) where do you plan on heading?

MolsonCanadian

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I live in Midland, which is around the corner, so to speak. Nottawasaga Bay is pretty open, and you're safe along the beaches of Wasaga. Watch the river outlet, lots of sediment there.

What size boat?

There's not much to see in that area, just open water over to Collingwood. If you're heading over towards Christian Island, Beckwith, Hope or Giants Tomb Island, definately get a set of current charts.

Water is down approx 10-12" from last near, and near chart datum. I've been boating my whole life in the area and still reference my charts often.

The Dougler

Seaman

I was out in Nottawasaga bay on the weekend. Dropped in at the Thornbury marina, nice spot for sure. I ran about between 1-2km off the shore to be away from any rocks, water was between 25-50ft deep according to the sounder. I headed towards wasaga but the waves got mighty big for my 19 footer and decided to turn back before I got into trouble by pushing my experience level in waves that large (6').

Have you considered checking your local public library? they may have the hydrographic service charts available to at least study up on.

E_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm in a 16 footer for now. Hope to get a bigger one one day. For now it does the job going with friends and family to the beach to have a good time. Nevertheless, everytime I go out and about I find myself in a situation that is not so good. I've never launched in Wasaga or Georgian Bay in general so I feel iffy. I've launched in other lakes like Lake Simcoe and had a good time. I wish you a safe trip when you go...

I really hope someone out there who has soft copies of Georgian Bay reads this and is nice enough to help out, it would mean a lot to me...

I live in Midland, which is around the corner, so to speak. Nottawasaga Bay is pretty open, and you're safe along the beaches of Wasaga. Watch the river outlet, lots of sediment there.

What size boat?

There's not much to see in that area, just open water over to Collingwood. If you're heading over towards Christian Island, Beckwith, Hope or Giants Tomb Island, definately get a set of current charts.

Water is down approx 10-12" from last near, and near chart datum. I've been boating my whole life in the area and still reference my charts often.

Jeep Man

Commander

Without knowing the water and knowing that Georgian Bay can turn on you real quick, I would leave it alone until you have more experience and a bigger boat. There are countless waters nearby that can provide great scenery, clean deep water and safer boating. The Muskokas for one are close, have a few free launches, and 250 sq. kms. of waters to experience.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Georgian Bay is not a body of water to be trifled with. I'm willing to bet it is the worlds capital for wrecked props and outdrives.

Yup that's the truth...my dad shredded the only prop he's ever destroyed on some glacial remains under Georgian Bay.

We deal with the same stuff over near Thunder Bay on this side of Huron...shipwreck alley is what they call it. Dangerous for vessels large and small.

There's a website called active captain that is a good one for charts from the NOAA. Not as much detail as you'd want on the Canadian side though.

Kenny777

Recruit

You can have them, just pay postage and whatever packing costs.

Ports Cruising Guide
Rideau Canal, Ottawa River 2007 postage est. $6.77
Trent-Severn, Lake Simcoe 2006 postage est. $9.71
Lake Ontario, 1000 Islands 2008 postage est. $11.67

Also Canada Hydrogr. Small Craft Strips #1350, 1351

Postage US to Canada estimates are taken from the USPS website.
Postage to US addresses are much lower, of course.
If you are interested, I will take them to the PO for a guaranteed price.
Will be sent when cash received - US or CA.

The books are like new - no scribbles or water marks.

It was a great cruise but the boat is back in the Pacific now.
I can't use the charts but maybe someone else can.