Can my boat make it safely and comfortably to Egmont Key?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FredGarvin

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Can my boat make it safely and comfortably to Egmont Key?

Just a local note: Bounces Pass moves constantly so if after you get a GPS plotter pat attention the depth and ignore the electronic chart, my Garmin is WAY off the channel last time I looked at thru there.

Man, you aren't kidding. The chart I have of it is WAY off of what that pass looked like when I went out that last time. I had to go much further out and to north to get in to deeper water.

FredGarvin

Seaman Apprentice

no problem, however, you can still get there from the desoto ramp without going into the Gulf. After launching at Desoto go right (east) under the bridge you had to come over to get to desoto. You're gonna have to head towards the skyway channel. then when you reach the channel that runs along the skyway head south. when you reach the main ship channel that goes under the skyway you'll head west towards egmont. I've stopped along the sandbar (edge of the no combustible motor zone) to your north when you are in the main ship channel and caught plenty of seatrout and makerel there if you're interested. You can stay out of the zone and cast into the shallows.

Thanks...I actually looked at my maps and figured that out too...the run would be about the same but if I go out of Maximo I wouldn't have to trailer to DeSoto and wouldn't have to pay for parking there either. I'll probably try Maximo just to see what it's like...but I do like the space that the Desoto ramps have. Is there lots of parking at Maximo?

glengold

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is a decent amount of parking at Maximo. I always like to get there early so you don't fight the crowds and worry about it. Last time we were there around 9 and it was fine for a saturday

GatorMike

Ensign

I don't think many of the posters here realize Egmont Key in nearly an inshore Island. As a kid we used to go there in 8' prams. Yes as in any boating situation one should use caution but to be worried about navigation is insane. Just look for the Island at the mouth of Tampa Bay that has a light house. I don't know how you could possibly get lost unless in dense fog which you shouldn't be boating in anyway. If comming from St Pete on the Gulf side just head south along the coast, when you come to the mouth of Tampa Bay you are a mile from it. If headding North from Anna Maria Island it may be 2 miles from the point. From anywhere inside Tampa Bay just head for open water, you can't get to the Gulf without passing by it.

GatorMike

Ensign

A word of caution about Egmont, and I have not been there in years so things may have changed but beware while motoring down the beach on the Gulf side. The last time I was there parts of the old fort had colapsed into the water and those huge chunks of concrete were just a couple feet under water. Also if exploring the island from the Gulf side you are best to anchor well off the beach and swim in. If there are any waves at all you do not want to get caught in the breakers droping off passengers. Back in the 70s there was a nice little cove on the SE corner of the island on the Bay side that was a nice place to anchor up sheltered from the Gulf by the tip of the island.

I know it is now a bird sanctuary and much more protected than it was when I frequented the island but I am assuming you can still explore the paths. They may not let you go into any of the old bunkers anymore, like I said I haven't been there in years.

glengold

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah nowadays if you hit that submerged fort you probably ran over a ton of snorklers first!!! its very popular. several charter boats run out their daily w/ tourists. there are always people anchored around it. the entire south end is a bird sanctuary. not that you'd want to get out and walk around there anyways it smells like &%$@!!!!!! the north end has trails and stuff you can check out. you can get there from the gulf side or bay side.

dan4081

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yep, and just to the south of the south end of Egmont you can see a beautiful sandbar a short distance away, with crystal clear water, tons of boats on it, and a hundred or so........naked people all over it.....:eek:

glengold

Petty Officer 1st Class

this is true.....

Blevins

Seaman Apprentice

Ok so you obviously get that feeling in your stomach when **** is getting sketchy. So you know eggmont key and you know the bay area correct? The weather here is RETARDED! The earlier morning is best to run out. Right before dusk is best for return. That is a grey area rule of thumb. YOU NEED A VHF. The radio can alert you of changing weather conditions. you can get them cheap. Listen you know your boat better than anyone (hopefully). make the right decision especially if other people are on your boat.

wags

Cadet

Forget egmont key. tow up to Clearwater and drop in at Seminole st. head north and enjoy the beautiful ICW. Putt through Dunedin causeway, honeymoon island, then you will fall upon 3 rooker island chain then anclote river + lighthouse.. this is a large area of sand bar and beach where people of all ages and boats go to every weekend.. Oh yea and the occasional nip slip. I have seen 15ft bow riders to 50ft+ yachts.. Obviously the weather is largely responsible along with tides for rough waters. I live by a simple rule if the people on the boat are not having fun then its probably a good idea to keep it in the ICW.. there is so,so,so much to do in these waters around st.pete, Clearwater, tarpon springs, no need to take chances. Remember when in the ICW DO NOT leave the channel markers or you will run aground.

FredGarvin

Seaman Apprentice

One more post here...I don't know what I was worried about before....we made the run out to Egmont this past weekend and it was a breeze...went out of the Shell Key cut again and this time it was much calmer so the trip was easy.

The hardest part was walking in from where I anchored...man, all that concrete from the fort under water near the beach...it's like walking on coral.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

One more post here...I don't know what I was worried about before....we made the run out to Egmont this past weekend and it was a breeze...went out of the Shell Key cut again and this time it was much calmer so the trip was easy.

The hardest part was walking in from where I anchored...man, all that concrete from the fort under water near the beach...it's like walking on coral.

We did it last year in my Dad's 21ft Tahoe deckboat. It was ok on the way out, but we followed a large freighter. UMM dont do that in your 18footer. We came completely out of the water twice. It was a bit scary, but we were more afraid that we were gonna swamp it so we hit them a bit harder than we would have in my boat. His boat sits way too low in the water for my comfort.

No need for a GPS to go a quarter mile from land to land. I think way too many people were posting here than had a clue as to where he was really going. Charts helped in that area though. but not to navigate to Egmond

Anyway, glad you had fun. We are gonna try to get back there next Spring. We rented a condo on the water with a boat lift. It was awesome. We spend a week on the boat. From one beach to another, from one restaurant to another,and even went to McDonalds on the water.

Jbasse1964

Recruit

I don't think many of the posters here realize Egmont Key in nearly an inshore Island. As a kid we used to go there in 8' prams. Yes as in any boating situation one should use caution but to be worried about navigation is insane. Just look for the Island at the mouth of Tampa Bay that has a light house. I don't know how you could possibly get lost unless in dense fog which you shouldn't be boating in anyway. If comming from St Pete on the Gulf side just head south along the coast, when you come to the mouth of Tampa Bay you are a mile from it. If headding North from Anna Maria Island it may be 2 miles from the point. From anywhere inside Tampa Bay just head for open water, you can't get to the Gulf without passing by it.

I have not gone out there, but planning to make the trip. Reading all the posts was confusing. I thought that I could see the Key off Anna Maria Island when we go to the Gulf Front Beach. I am an extreme novice, and only stay in the smaller bays and Anna Maria Sound, Palma Sola, and just starting to brave it going out further each trip. Is it a better run from Desoto than the KingFish Ramp on Anna Maria? I am about 1 mile away from the King Fish ramp and 1/2 mile to Palma Sola ramp.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
My goodness! The OP left almost 6 years ago. I hope he made it!

Please start a thread of your own.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.