What is your Favorite Arizona Lake

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: What is your Favorite Arizona Lake

anyone got any pics of these lakes ? I'm originally from AZ but now live in ****ty illinois would love to see some of home land.

No picts of lakes but I was wonder how you ended up in IL.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

LOL your funny Bubba. Yes we have to water our yards to have grass. What little water we have. :D

QC

Supreme Mariner

You've seen grass in your travels haven't you?
Hey, gravel lawns are cool . . . :eek: Actually have thought about it for here even. We have fairly lush lawns here in CA, but gravel and rock landscape is very common in AZ.

FWIW, I do most of my boating technically in AZ, trust me, water they got. So what if it comes from Colorado, Utah, Wyoming and New Mexico . . . :p OK, the Phoenix are lakes get some from home.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey, gravel lawns are cool . . . :eek: Actually have thought about it for here even. We have fairly lush lawns here in CA, but gravel and rock landscape is very common in AZ.

FWIW, I do most of my boating technically in AZ, trust me, water they got. So what if it comes from Colorado, Utah, Wyoming and New Mexico . . . :p OK, the Phoenix are lakes get some from home.

Hey get this! I have Grass and Gravel in my Yard. :eek::D

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

Dreadful lakes!
In fact I wouldn't recommend Arizona as a boating destination at all. Don't waste your time around here. Just move on down the road, nothing to see.

Sarcasm is clearly not working in this thread.
LOL Well....az was high on my list of places to retire. I guess not.:D

I was in (just outside about 50 miles) Pheonix last summer and thought I was going to die from the heat. Don't know what the actual temp was because all the themometer said was, You got to be ___ing me.
But it's a dry heat.:cool: Personally I would take 115 in the desert to 95 and humidity any day.

jonsquatch

Cadet

I love the desert lakes, it would be awesome if there were houses on them, but we don't do it that way here. They all serve some water storage purpose and most are power generating facilities. As noted most of the lakes around Phoenix have plenty of logs to tear up things, as well as the fact that they are full of rocks, but the terrain is beautiful. I haven't made it up to the northern and western lakes with my boat yet as I am far enough to the south that towing all the way up there is waiting for me to have time for a looong trip.

I like Canyon lake unless it is full of idiots, I haven't been to Saguaro in years since I couldn't seem to find a time it wasn't full of idiots, and I don't care much for Pleasant since its so convenient for everyone else so its often busy. Bartlett isn't bad, but its often too busy for camping. If Roosevelt is full its not bad for boating, but then it sucks for camping. I do like Apache, but only if I am going to stay a while so it makes the road worth while.

For those who haven't ever trailered in from the Phoenix side here is a taste of how it is. That is a one lane bridge at the bottom of a one line winding washed out dirt road down a cliff... hope you looked far enough ahead to know there wasn't a pontoon coming up the other way. Its better to go the long way if you have time and don't need to go to the "improved" facilities half way in. The view is nice though, and sometimes you can make long straight full pass on the wakeboard without ever running into anyone else. The pic is all the way at the far end, Canyon lake is the other side of that dam.

Attachments

• Appache Lake (1).jpg
    Appache Lake (1).jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Appache Lake (4).jpg
    Appache Lake (4).jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 0

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ok I have to admit we do not have massive size lakes like so many other States so I will take what I can get. However we can boat year around and if you so incline get a wet suit and water ski all year.

Thanks jonsquatch for your input.

shwoop_soobie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i love apache the best, and the dirt roads dont scare me...
bartlett is second on my list...

heres a few pics from bartlett 2 weekends ago...
012-9.jpg

043-2.jpg

061-1.jpg

this ones not good, but its a nice wide shot of the lake
048Stitch.jpg

happy boating!

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer

get a wet suit and water ski all year.

Actually get a dry suit. They are similar to wet suits, but they have gaskets that act as seals arount you wrists, ankles, and neck. You only get wet if you take a really bad spill, but for the most part you will be perfectly dry. I was wakeboarding at Lake Pleasant in early February using a dry suit.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for The Picts Of Bartlett.

Ahh A dry suit. Those seem Pricey. I guess if I ever become a Die Hard skier/wake boarder.

Went to Saguro Lake Yesterday. Saguro is so close 30 minutes its nice for those quick trips. Its wonderful to get out on the water. Didn't catch any fish because AZ doesn't have any. ;)

Anyway next weekend is Roosevelt. Then Peasent, Next Bartlet. Well that is my planned order that is.

Oh We decided to give Havasu a try sometime this summer.

Im nervous about Powell this year until I get some boat experience under my belt.

shwoop_soobie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

^^^^^
thats the way i feel... not sure if im up to tackling powell yet...

i really wanna get over to havasu as well...
i remember being a little kid and going under the london bridge was awesome... all the insane power boats to drool over (and now that im older the tail in havasu is worth some drool too :D)

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer

It is not a bad idea to wait a bit before going to Powell. You don't need to wait too long, but Powell is a different animal compared to the lakes near Phoenix. The first time I went to Powell I thought I was prepared because I did everything I do for a normal lake trip. I found out the hard way that I was not nearly as prepared as I thought I was. For example, at the Phoenix lakes you have excellent cell coverage, but on Powell you should have a fixed mount VHF. During my first trip to Powell I got myself into a situation where some assistance would be helpful, but I lacked a VHF. Before I made my second trip to Powell I installed a VHF, and it was comforting knowing I had a reliable means of communication. Don't want to scare you about Powell because it is not that big of a deal. Just give yourself a little time becoming comfortable with boating before going to Powell, but when you feel you are ready, you will love it.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There is a distance thing about Powell. Not sure what the drive time is but it would have to be a trip over a few days. I have to make it a mini vacation. YES VHF radio's is on my Want list for the boat.

I have as well been to Havasu when I was really young. Haven't been back since.

Just checked the Weekend weather and its going to be nice.

I'm addicted to boating now.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer

I haven't spent much time in AZ but on a 5 day vacation visiting family I spent 3 days fishing in Saguaro, Apache and Roosevelt.

How about that dirt road? "Apache Trail" I watched a guy take a new Bayliner down the Apache trail down to a river wash where I was fishing below Roosevelt lake. He brought it down towing behind a flat bed towing truck. Driving those two vehicles down the Apache Trail would drive me nuts.

Anyways the lakes here are beautiful and I can't wait to visit family again and perhaps even boat some of them.

Had to include picture of Apache Trail. It's an experience of a lifetime. Just make sure you have plenty of gas.

Attachments

• SCAN0036.jpg
    SCAN0036.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 0
  • SCAN0020.jpg
    SCAN0020.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 0
  • SCAN0037.jpg
    SCAN0037.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 0

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Nice Pictures.

I will avoid Apache Trail dirt roads going to Roosevelt. I will take Highway 60 towards Globe and turn off towards the lake.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah that was our route in coming from Chandler.

It's so beautiful out in AZ. I can't wait to return.

One thing I will never forget is the burgers at Tortilla Flats. That is a unique restaurant / gift shop.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Heading to Roosevelt tomorrow. Per Weather channel we should be 79 degrees as a High.

I might get even try to ski or tube, both.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Got back from Roosevelt. Big Lake and very little Boating traffic. I wimped out attempting to tube or water Ski. Its to cold for this desert Blood.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer

My local lake (PA) was 44 degrees this weekend.

I launched on the river instead and celebrated an Easter Voyage.

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer

Got back from Roosevelt. Big Lake and very little Boating traffic. I wimped out attempting to tube or water Ski. Its to cold for this desert Blood.

I don't think you wimped out. Roosevelt is a little higher in elevation than the local lakes, so the water will be colder. I am usually water skiing in nothing but my swim trunks by mid-April, but it still hurts getting in. The water temps don't get really comfortable until mid-May. Glad to hear you enjoyed Roosevelt. I went to Roosevelt as a kid, but that is the only Salt River lake I still need to visit now that I have my own boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.