Lake Havasu Shoreline Camping

caken

Seaman
We are planning our first Havasu trip and wanted some info on places to camp. We are looking for more of a secluded place where we can beach our boat. We do not need any special amenities.

I do not have experience anchoring on rivers so I prefer to pull the boat up to the beach. After doing some research we do not have a preference of where to launch, but are open to any suggestions.

Also any ideas on cool things to see on the river. We would like to stay within 20 miles of our campsite.

Thanks!

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lake Havasu Shoreline Camping

Well . . . You are in luck as Havasu has exactly what you are looking for. There are a bunch of AZ state campsites that are only water accessible. A few on Islands. Our favorite spot is called Friendly Island. There are also sites at Houseboat Cove and Steamboat (crowded) and many more further down lake >>>>>> Copper Canyon is for refeernce as is the Nautical and London Bridge Resort. They all have a Picnic bench with a Wooden Gazebo thing, grill, trash cans, outhouse and good tent sites. First come, first served. You leave a fee in a pay box on the beach.

10omzrc.jpg

The stretch I have shown only totals around 8 miles, and you can reach the dam as well as Topock Wildlife refuge well within your 20 mile reach.

Also called Beaver Island

GPS coordinates for Friendly Island: N34 25.226 W114 17.469

Best link I can find

caken

Seaman

Thanks QC for the great information.

Is it easy to beach the boat at Friendly Island? We are looking for a spot that is kind of protected so that we don't have to worry about the boat at night.

If we were to camp there, where would you recommend launching? Also is there a place to get gas close by the camp sites?

QC

Supreme Mariner

Where I launch depends on how busy it is. In general I like Lake Havasu Marina, which is right next to the Nautical Inn shown on my map ^^^^^, there is also fuel there. There is another ramp on the Island (the one London Bridge goes to) called Site Six, that is free. If it is midweek or very early this is a great place to launch too. Steep, curving ramp that messes with some, but if you are confident backing will save you some money.

Here we are on the beach at Friendly Island:

2znwc9y.jpg

There is a sign there now that says no beaching, but I would at night. There is also areas all around the Island that you can beach on, some are a little rockier and not as protected. The best thing is to anchor slightly off the beach and then tie off the stern to the beach. You never know when a blow will come in and make beaching a bad thing . . . ;)

caken

Seaman

Hey QC thanks so much for all the information.

We had a great trip out there this weekend and I think Havasu just became my new favorite place!

We launched at site 6 and it was not too much of an issue. We headed over to friendly island but ended up staying at the campsites just south of there as those were all taken. It ended up being an amazing trip!

Thanks again

QC

Supreme Mariner

Awesome!!! Havasu is not for everyone, but there is a reason it is as popular as it is. Lots to do, lots to see, hotels, camping, food etc. etc.

caken

Seaman

Yes it did have a lot of that.

So, we are planning another trip in a few weeks. Do you have any other favorite places on the river you would recommend? We were thinking of Parker but not sure how it is there. We are looking for something similar to Havasu where we could camp on the beach.

QC

Supreme Mariner

There is some camping at Parker, and we love it there. If you are not used to current, shallows, obstacles, traffic etc. then forget it. We love it below Parker too, not crowded but add to the obstacle warning. Jets are a blast down there. Our favorite besides Powell is Mead. I don't count Powell because it is 8 hours away. We don't camp very often, but another great spot that gives you some river experience and you can still get into Havasu is Park Moabi (near Needles at the I40 bridge). Very cool campsites right on the river. Do a search here, for Moabi with my name starting and/or posting. We've been there the last two Easters and loved it.

Drowned Rat

Captain

I'm not a big fan of Havasu, however when we go there, we like to go downstream toward the dam. The Bill Williams river exits into a part of the lake that is a large no wake zone. Especially for camping, it's nice to not have the loud partygoers blasting by you all the time, plus, there is much less traffic on this part of the lake. If you have a small inflatable or canoe or kayak, you can go up the Bill Williams River, which is a federal wildlife refuge. It's really neat and fun for the kids too.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I like powering into there at sunset too DR . . . very peaceful. I don't go very far in, but there is still nobody there. We'll get a slip at Havasu Springs sometimes when we are down on Parker and enjoy two days on the lake. Agree.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Very peaceful indeed. I forgot to mention that jetskis aren't allowed on that part of the lake either which.... need I say more. Bliss.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Not to repeat myself, but it is little out of the way spots like Bill Williams that makes Havasu a good compromise for me. Midweek in the Gorge is awesome too, or I have a favorite Cove that even on a busy weekend is very quiet . . .

caken

Seaman

Hey QC its me again :)

So we are headed back to Havasu next weekend and I was just wondering if you had any good ideas of a campsite we should look into for Friday night close by site 6 launch ramp. We are going to get out there pretty late so I don't want to launch and try to find one in the dark by boat. We really are just looking for somewhere to sleep so we can get up early on Saturday and launch.

Thanks in advance for the help!

QC

Supreme Mariner

Try Crazy Horse. Or you could camp at the State Park and launch at Windsor. I had a bad experince at Site Six this year. Steep ramps mess up my retrieve. Launch is fine, but getting her on the trailer right sucks at Site Six. Wife said "Why do we launch here? Let's never do that again, OK?" She wasn't asking . . . :rolleyes: