How long? Cincinnati Ohio to New Orleans on Ohio and Mississippi Rivers

jhoncho4x4

Cadet
How long would it take do you think to travel in a planing hull cabin cruiser from Cincinnati Ohio to New Orleans Louisiana?
What do you think would be the ideal speeds to travel on a trip like that for max fuel efficiency?
Are there any map programs out there like google maps that can display navigable rivers for a trip like that?

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How long? Cincinnati Ohio to New Orleans on Ohio and Mississippi Rivers

What do you think would be the ideal speeds to travel on a trip like that for max fuel efficiency?
Every boat is differant. depends on prop your using, If she's tuned up properly, there are lots of factors in that question:)

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

I would have to say cruising speed, no more than 25 knots for best fuel efficiency. That sounds like a great trip! I would like to make it. Need a navigator that's willing to pitch in for fuel??:rolleyes:

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You need to take your boat on a trip of at least 50 miles and calculate the speed and fuel burn. Don't just take somebody's word for it. Find out what YOUR hull, prop, and engine(s) combination is good for.

A good shakedown would be a trip down to Louisville and back. That would give you 100 miles and take you through the lock at Markland Dam to practice locking procedures in case you haven't done that in the past.

There are specific river navigation charts that you MUST obtain and use on such a journey. You need to know where the channel is and, In case of trouble, you need to know the river mile you're at.

As a reference for you, I took a 21' Sea Ray cuddy from just below Louisville to Kentucky Lake last September. We averaged 25 mph and covered 339 river miles and five locks in two days. We did not spend any time on sight seeing side trips.

Dick Sorensen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What a great trip.... I'm trying to get organized (which means get my wife to agree to my timetable, arrange my business so I can be gone, get the boat set-up .... It's old and didn't have much on it) so that I can travel from Cincy to Nashville and back. Hope you can do the trip. If you're thinking about taking the advice of the early reply about a 'shakedown' run to Louisville this year. let's compare notes and schedules....perhaps I can run with you.

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i'm contemplating a shakedown cruise from Louisville to Cincy soon. Been looking at the river charts from the army corps of engineers. from that, and looking at Cpatain Wiki's pages, it looks to be right at 130 miles (all depending at what points you launch and finish at.

i definately need to brush up on my lock procedures

TilliamWe

Banned

Add in a lot of extra time to go from Mobile, Alabama to New Orleans, cause you'll not want to cruise the Lower Mississippi. Pleasure boaters enter the Tennessee-Tom BigBee Waterway and go south to Mobile Bay, rather than try to navigate the uncontrolled, undeveloped, and generally not nice Lower Misssissippi.

Google "The Great Loop" and you'll find out what I am talking about.