Tahoe-like camping and watersports lake around AZ???

cube21

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Were looking into our family vacation for this summer, early June probably. We were thinking about taking both our camper-trailer and our (soon-to-be) boat to Lake Tahoe for a week or so. Our goal is to camp lakeside and spend our days on the water, both admiring the scenery and having some fun behind the boat.
Unfortunately, Phoenix to Tahoe is 700+ miles, and were not too interested in that drive.

Anybody know of any similar lakes closer to Arizona? We just want a forest atmosphere, warm enough weather for watersports, and a place to camp close to shore. Any ideas?

thanks
-CUBE-

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Tahoe-like camping and watersports lake around AZ???

ummm.... blythe?

hahaha yeah....I don't get out much.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Actually, Big Bear Lake would be waaaaay better than Silverwood . . . bigger and prettier. There are some campgrounds too, but lot's of cabins, soem businesses etc. It's at 6500 ft. too so very similar flora to Tahoe. Personally I don't like high altitude lakes much because of performance though . . . ;)

Drowned Rat

Captain

Hmmm, forest atmosphere. Slim pickings in Arizona I'm afraid. All the rim lakes near Payson are in the forest, but they're all smaller lakes with hp restrictions. There are some even smaller lakes around Prescott, Lynx Lake, that is very nice and wooded with camping. hp restrictions there too though.

My only question is this. Why would you want to go to the forest when you're surrounded by beautiful desert lakes! :)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3343/3275083397_7cd15262a1.jpg

cube21

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My only question is this. Why would you want to go to the forest when you're surrounded by beautiful desert lakes! :)

Thats exactly why!
We can make trips to Pleasant, Roosevelt, Saguaro, etc etc etc on most weekends during the year. My dad will be taking a week off of work and we want to head to somewhere with different scenery, different weather, and somewhere that we otherwise would not visit.
(If the camping-forest lake doesnt work out, option number two is a week around Lake Powell, possibly a houseboat rental. But "not" renting a houseboat sure would save us money. :/ )

Thanks for the ideas guys, Ill look into them!

-CUBE-

Drowned Rat

Captain

Yeah, Powell is the obvious choice for me when I want to get away.

Anyway, hope you find the perfect spot. Good luck!

QC

Supreme Mariner

I'm with DR, not just the same ole place, and Powell's altitude makes the camping weather very comfortable.

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Actually, Big Bear Lake would be waaaaay better than Silverwood . . . bigger and prettier.

Yeah I agree.

MY reason being, is silverwood is too close to all the druggies up in the high desert.

I was up in big bear once for work (October?) and rented a little boat for $40. It was fun, and a lot better than working.

Here are my cell phone pics:

l_68d91c5f27c14bea4779ecc1b55fad39.jpg

l_a1cc77ddf40e66d49d2b184830b5dcd9.jpg

l_51f9b4c9d9009bd2cfe5cf2fbf3d3465.jpg

Its not Cristal clear water. So don't go if your expecting that.
and they have a problem with the infestation of muscles, so your boat will be inspected for any free standing water, or recent use. They basically want a dry boat going in.

I think, its $50 launch fee, or $100 for a year long pass....

cube21

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Big Bear seems to be a good alternative. I like the scenery, and Im sure theres some good places to camp closeby.

Just some quick info I found:
Lake Powell has about 162,000 surface acres
Lake Tahoe has about 122,000 surface acres
Big Bear Lake has about 3,000 surface acres :) Cute lil' guy.

-CUBE-

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer

If you are wanting forest atmosphere while staying close to Phoenix then think about Upper Lake Mary near Flagstaff. I have included a link to the Coconino National Forest web page. I have never had my boat on this lake, but I have driven past the lake a number of times, and it looks to be fun. It is a smaller lake, but there is not a motor size limit. I have seen medium sized boats out on the lake. There is also a Lower Lake Mary, but you don't want to go there. Lower Lake Mary is very shallow, and usually empty. Upper Lake Mary can also be shallow when the snow pack is light. There have been some good snow storms this season, so I think Upper Lake Mary will be full.

Report back if you try this location. I keep thinking I will test it out, but if I am heading that direction, I plan to keep going to Powell.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/recreation/mormon_lake/upper-lake-mary-boat.shtml

missruby

Seaman Apprentice

We just got back from tahoe tonight (snowing), but here's a little gem. SW colorado has a reservoir called McPhee Reservoir in Dolores Co. i grew up there and it's awesome. 2nd largest reservoir in CO. (which isn't saying much since co. isn't known for lakes) and has a total population density surrounding it of +/- 15k people. ..= NOBODY on the lake. Mountainous terrain, great camping, not many people, etc. etc. 400miles from phx. not exactly next door but it is a nice getaway. if you wanted a day of site seeing away from the lake it doesn't get any prettier. good luck