Boating the Upper Chesapeake

SuperNova

Lieutenant
Is there anybody on here who boats around the upper Bay area? We go down several times a summer and are looking for other people to meet up and raft up. I go to a lot of the popular haunts but always anchor by myself because I don't know the ettiquette for rafting with people I don't know. So I thought if I got to meet some people on one of the forums I could get some answers or some boating friends which would be better. Thanks.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral
Re: Boating the Upper Chesapeake

We're going to be on the upper chesapeake for a few days this summer. Probably in july.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

Good to hear from you rubberfrog. I love your kitty, by the way. I don't know exact dates yet except for the week of the Fourth, we are definitely going down that week. We try to catch as many fireworks shows as we can. I don't think there is anything that can compare to watching fireworks from the boat. Do you have any favorite anchorages on the upper bay? We have several that we use on the Bohemia and the Sassafrass, among others. -Stan.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

What's your 20, Supernova? I'm from Southeast Pa (Westchester) and get down there a few times a year. Most weekends though I hang around with a group on the Schuylkill River near Phoenixville. Cheap weekend--don't use much gas.
As far as rafting-- I dont know, but a lot of boats anchor at the shallows off the Havre de Grace channel. There's three islands there opposite the Fishing Battery Light (privately owned--The light that is.)
Most boaters like company; just don't anchor too close so you don't swing into them. Show them your six pack as you walk over and you've a friend for life. LOL
See if you can pick up a "Nor Easter mag. or look them up on line. They have a lot of info about what's going on in the Chesapeake.
I prefer to cruise to Baltimore and tie up in the Inner Harbor. --Nice ride, then you relax and people watch. Hart Miller Island has campsites and is a good destination. About 1/2 hour out of Baltimore if you need to buy something. Sassafras river is a nice ride also, and the marina has a nice restaurant.--and if you are so inclined there are several beaches where tasteful nudity is allowed. Plenty of other spots to tie up or anchor and picnic also. If you are down there on the bay and see Amanda Ford--21 foot outboard cuddy--come on over and say hello.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

Thanks Frank. I'm just north of you in Allentown. I lived a few years just outside of Downingtown in a place called Glenmoore. Used to go down to Marsh Creek a lot. I'm familiar with the NorEaster and also the Mariner, they do ahve a lot of info in them and some pretty nice pictures too, I might add. I'd like to make the run to Baltimore sometime, but I don't trust my 20 year old boat enough yet. If I spot you I'll say hello, and bring my beer too.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Just because your boat is old doesn't mean it can't make the trip. If you launch at Anchor marina in Northeast, or Lapidium area by Conowingo dam it is about 2 hours to Baltimore at about 20 mph. A little rough on weekends because of heavy boat traffic, but I have done it in a 15 footer. --A 1971 Glastron 15 footer; that's 36 years old. If you are ever going to Blue Marsh, Give me a shout at TonyonMemory@yahoo.com. I'll meet you there. But get there before ten am ---later and you will wait until someone leaves.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

It's not the boat itself I'm worried about Frank, It's the engines and drives I don't have confidence in yet. S o, you know Blue Marsh do you? We used to go there pretty often, but I haven' been there in a couple of years now. The trick to gettin in late is there is another ramp farther up the highway that drops you way back in the no-wake zone, but it is rarely ever busy. It'll take you 20 minutes to reach the high-speed zone though. - Stan

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Yeah! I know that ramp- broke down near it once and had to hitch a ride back to the main area for my trailer.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

That sucks. Ever go up to Lake wallenpaupack? It's sort of like being on the upper bay. Water-condition wise I mean. It gets pretty rough up there sometimes- o.k. well most times. But it is a hel l of a lot more relaxed than Blue Marsh or Beltzville. Raystown I heard is good also, but I've never been there personally.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

We mostly boat the Potomac as we're in Virginia. I should ask you where is a good place to boat the Chesapeake!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I drove around Wallenpaupack when younger because my sister lived in Tobyhanna, but I never boated it. Raystown lake is supposed to be excellent but its a long hike--at least 4 hours from West Chester. You really need to go for more than a day.

Everyplace on the Chesapeake is good! Some places are just a little gooder than others. Depends on your taste.
Take a ride across the bay to Tangier Island--very picturesque. Head up to St Michaels and look at the most photographed lighthouse on the bay. (now on dry land) This assumes you have something a little bigger to handle the chop. I was asking about Tangier a while ago and the replies said it could be done in a 18-19 footer, but could be a rough ride.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

Yeah, Raystown is about 4 hours for me, too. That's why I haven't been there yet. I'd rather drive to the Bay. It's closer and bigger. You mentioned the Schuylkil, Frank. I've never been on that either, what's it like? How big a boat can you put in draft-wise?

On another note- I just finished installing my new VHF radio tonight. I got one with Digital Selective Calling. Did you know that you can program it with a directory of MMSI's and basically call anyone in your directory without having to hail them? I'm going to tie it into my GPS and I already got my MMSI #. I'm happy.

Rubberfrog, everywhere on the Bay is nice and the farther north you go the lower the salinity becomes and the fewer the jellyfish until they disappear entirely and the water is almost fresh. People anchor in protected coves and just off sandbars where the water is a couple of feet deep and toss frisbees and such and party. It's a blast. You could head up to Chesapeake City on the C&D Canal during the last weekend of June for Canal Day--it's quite the experience. They start rafting up on Thursday, but the real party doesn't start until Friday night. I've heard it can get pretty wild--beads and all.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

The ramp is just north of Phoenixville on Rt 113 at the Mongomery county line -- near the geriatric center but on the Chester county side. It was improved last year and you can get a 21 footer in there. You have about a mile and a half run from Black Rock dam to the shallows at Cromby powerplant. In between it ranges from 3 to 10 feet deep. The water is fairly clean but sometimes during the hot summer days, the powerplant warms it to bath temp. downstream of the outlet. A lot of boaters just hang out in the shallows on weekends. We used to have a picnic table and grill up on a low island, and the fish and game don't go that far upstream to bother you -- they are too busy rousting the jet skiers. A lot of people also waterski and there is a club there on the river too. Anchored in the shallows, you can talk with "the Mayor" "Princess Anne" "Caveman" "Chrysler Frank" (that's me) "Mumbles I" "Mumbles II" Tony LaSorda--yes, related to Giants coach. etc. --Quite a diverse group.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

I keep my Silverton at Havre de Grace/ Tydings Park. If you guys are in the area I invite you to stop by and introduce yourselves. My slip is the first big slip next to the launch ramp.
SuperNova- rafting is one of the best things to do on the water! As far as etiquette, joining a raftup is usually done AFTER you've been introduced to at least one participant.
OTOH, if you see one and you want to join in, JUST ASK. I suggest you anchor nearby and walk/swim over to them rather than just pulling alongside. People are there to relax and have a good time, so (unless it's an organized event) they'll probably invite you in. There are a couple great rafting areas here that are always busy on the weekends.
Frank mentioned the islands at Fishing Battery light- the popular one is known as "Sand Island" to the locals. It's a very popular spot for hangin' because of the sandy bottom. The entire area to the south and west is 3-5' deep with no weeds and a soft mud bottom. It's perfect for skiing or tubing- and never crowded.
I have many good memories of both Black Rock and Blue Marsh- my wife's from Phoenixville and we used to ski behind our 15' Crestliner just about every weekend. After a couple years we moved up to a 23' Wellcraft that was too big for Black Rock but OK for Blue Marsh. Fun times!

"Winter Dream"
Silverton 34C
White/Green

I/O WALDO

Petty Officer 1st Class

Red Eyes Dock Bar , behind Kent Island ,middle o dee bay ,at Mears Point Marina .Cool,go-fass meetin place! ( they even allow Silvertons!)

SuperNova

Lieutenant

I was going to take a run down to Red Eyes this summer if I get a chance. I heard they throw one helluva party. The boats that hang out there would put me to shame though. Right now we mostly hit the Nauti-Goose in Northeast and Chesapeake Inn up on the canal.

Hey everyone,

First off replying to Supernova's post. We boat on the Upper Bay. We keep our boat in Middle River off Frog Motar Creek. We are very active on the Chesapeake Bay and are down there almost every weekend and some weekdays too. Middle River is located about 20 to 35 minutes NW of Baltimore. It is between Back River and the Gunpowder River. We have a 1997 Maxum 2800 SCR and like to cruise the Upper and Middle Chessy every chance we get. My name is Charles Spangler, my wife is Lori, our son is Andrew. Lori and I are both 30 and Andrew is 2. We also boat with the family mut, Dixie (the 100 lb Rottie that thinks she is a fish). We always travel in groups of 2 or 6 other boats ranging in size of 19 to 46' and always welcome new comers to raftup. There really is no ettiquette for rafting with people. Boaters almost always welcome more company. I would approach at a slow speed and then back off your engines when getting close to the raftup (watch for people swimming and kids, as well as back anchors) and then ask if they mind you tying up alongside. I am quite sure 9 out of 10 people will say yes. And like the other guys said, show them beer and your in for life.
One of the best gunkholes on the bay for rafting and having a good time is probly Fairlee Creek (located on the East Shore, due east from Pooles Island). It is tricky to find for the first time, since the opening to get in is only 40 feet wide. But it is deep, protected on all sides from weather and winds, and boats upto 60' can get in and out easily. There is also Mears Great Oak Landing Resort and Marina there ( Jellyfish Joels tiki bar and beach ) is the main boaters attraction during the summer. It gets a little crowded with all the boats, but the more people you get in there the more fun you will have.
Pick yourself up a folding chart of the Upper Bay and you will have no problem finding your way around, not to mention keeping yourself off the bottom with the ever growing number of shoals. Shoot me an email if you like, we can show you around the bay anytime.

yorkcoparamedic@verizon.net

SuperNova

Lieutenant

Sound good, medic. I'll send you an e-mail before long. We are about the same demographic. 30's, young kids(2 girls 4 and 6) and big dogs(yellow lab and beagle/boxer mix). we run a mid-80's Wellcraft Nova III(new to us last June) after several smaller lake boats(17 foot Rinker outboard and 21 foot Wellcraft bowrider among others). I am familiar with Fairlee Creek, I was down there once or twice. We were hanging out in Loyd's Creek up on the Sassafrass last summer; the entry to that is only 20 feet wide, but 8 feet deep and you have to skirt a sandbar- makes it interesting. We really enjoy catching as many fireworks shows from the water as we can during the week of July 4th, so that is the big week for us and Bay boating.

--
Stan

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

This thread gets better every week. Come on warm weather!

SuperNova

Lieutenant

Speaking of interesting--what's up with the new avatar, RF? I miss your machine gunning cat.