adding a ski pole to an older boat??

nicksquid

Cadet
i have a 1988 19 ft. open bow boat and have been doing a lot of wakeboarding. i would like to add a ski pole. has anyone done this with there boat? what mods have to be done and how much does it cost? thanx

tommays

Admiral
Re: adding a ski pole to an older boat??

f2bec06f.jpg
<br /><br /><br />This is a pole that sliped over the shorter orginal pole and then used cables to take the stress , its a FLY HIGH brand <br /><br />There are a lot of tripod styles made BUT they require a SOLID place on the boat floor to mount them <br /><br />All of the pull from the skier will be trying to pull the front leg OUT of the deck WHICH makes its mounting very inportant<br /><br />It will be pushing the two rear legs into the deck which makes there mounting easery <br /><br />Every boat is different because of things like fuel tank location ECT so it requires some thought as to which one will work and install best<br /><br />Tommays

npd4432

Chief Petty Officer

I just installed the adjustable height Fly High tripod. Took me about two hours to install on my 1983 16' open bow. Floor must be solid and you must have a good place to mount the brackets. I can post some pics if you would like.

BF

Lieutenant

as said, whatever you mount, take care in fastening it to the floor. I'd worry that even if your floor is good now, that in 2 or 3 years down the road the bottom mounting plate could get ripped from the floor.

I've seen that happen more than once... Also met someone whose toes were removed in the process. :^

My ski bar goes through the floor and is bolted to structure underneigth, I like that lots better than plates held to the floor with screws... IMHO, just a matter of time before the floor gets spongy and the screws get ripped out.. I imagine the bow strap would remove a lot of the force trying to yank the pole from the floor.