New at boating: Are 20 mph winds excessive to boat in?

BKSinAZ

Cadet
20 ft fish and ski.<br /><br />Just curious about how bad 20 mph winds would be on a lake, espessially for a newbe.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: New at boating: Are 20 mph winds excessive to boat in?

Not if you don't mind some spray. Not a comfy ride, though.

cart7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also depends on the lake. A big, wide flatland lake where the waves can build up quite a fetch over a lengthy area can be downright dangerous. Okeechobee, Kentucky lakes are 2 that come to mind. Narrower, deep mountain lakes like a Table Rock in Missouri or Quachita in Arkansas down get quite as bad and certain areas of those lakes protected by mountains or ridges are actually kinda calm.<br /><br />Overall though, I'd plan on doing honey do's on days with wind forecast that bad though.

Chris_Crafter

Seaman Apprentice

I boat on Sebago,in Maine.It is a very large and deep lake.The waves can get pretty large.A lot calmer in the shallows or a cove.It depends on the type of lake and how your boats sits in the water also.<br /><br />Kevin

watered down

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'd agree with above...depending on the lake, it will be a little rough but your 20'er should handle it. What may be more of a concern is the condition of the dock/launch area in that wind and the direction it is blowing. A strong wind blowing in or across the docks it could be a little nerve racking to dock and retrieve the boat.

rwidman

Lieutenant

Just curious about how bad 20 mph winds would be on a lake, espessially for a newbe.
Not a good idea. Get some experience with better weather first, then you can decide what you are comfortable with. I stay home if the winds are that strong. I could probably go out but it wouldn't be enjoyable.

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would not consider 20 mph winds an issue for most boats - over open water where there is some fetch, you're probably not going to get a lot less than that anyway, particualry in the afternoons.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

About 3/4 downwind from the shoreline in a 20 mph wind you'll be in 3ft or higher waves - it's murder to go upwind in a tri-hull in those conditions. If you're at a really big lake where the wind has 2 or 4 or 12 miles to get some momentum up, it can get really nasty at 20mph or more wind. But the lee shores & coves won't be nearly so affected.

Ron G

Commander

I agree with,depeands on the lake,20mph on some of these rivers and lakes is very dangerous.

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

Nice warm day, life vest, 12" v-hull-neat. Cold water,no one around and you are in high wind in an area no one has a clue, bad idea! In other words boat with the conditions. Boat smart.

BTF112989

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I went out in 25 mph winds on monday. It was very choppy and whitecapping but I did fine. I also have an offshore deep-vee fishing boat which helped significantly in the chop. I was lucky that the wind was pushing at the back end of the boat when I was putting it back on the trailer so I didn't have much trouble loading it back up.

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would suggest that if you can, talk to some of the locals. Particularily if they live on the lake in question. <br /><br />Join a local boating club if there is one. Then you can learn from other's experience.

glasply1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I fall back on another old guy's advice when faced with windy conditions in Puget Sound that "when in doubt, don't go out."

KRS

Banned

Which lake, is it in AZ? Havasu, Roosevelt, which one?

Always Broke

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I may be saying what some of the other boaters already said but figured I’d put my few cents in too. Don’t put your self in a situation your questionable about in the first place, that little guy in your head is trying to tell you something. Get enough experience boating so that your own conscience will tell you right from wrong, If you did go out in rough water I for one would not want to be in the boat with you being a newbe, one little mistake can cause a lot of regret. I saw a 26 foot top heavy cabin cruiser flip on it’s side in the Ohio river and had to fish the whole family out of the drink because of a wind around 20 MPH, it was blowing upstream and made some nasty white caps even though the river was down in a valley with a lot of protection from the wind, not much fun for any of us. The boat caught a good sized wave on the side and a gust of wind finished off the job. I mostly boat in the inter-coastal here in Florida now and still watch the weather, unless you enjoy a lot of hard work trying to dock or load a boat in the wind stay home.

teamstromer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if you are out in that kind of wind and heavy water you just beat up your self and your equipment. then it's time to head for teh launch

rosco_59

Petty Officer 1st Class

Get some time in calm water and get some experience before you get into high winds. retrieving the boat can be a real problem.

Bondo

Staff member

Author Topic: New at boating: Are 20 mph winds excessive to boat in? <br />BKSinAZ <br />Cadet <br />Member # 66902 <br /><br /> posted October 15, 2005 07:40 PM <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />20 ft fish and ski.<br /><br />Just curious about how bad 20 mph winds would be on a lake, espessially for a newbe. <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posts: 12 | From: Tucson | Registered: Oct 2005 | IP: Logged | <br /> <br />
Great Thread with Great Responces,.........<br /><br />BKS hasn't been back since he Joined....... :rolleyes:

solidwaste

Petty Officer 2nd Class

All in all just understand that lakes,seas,rivers. Are all unforgiving what looks like just another chopy day could be youre last..It has very little to do with the size of the boat and a lot more to do with youre experience in how to deal with wave conditions..If youre local coast gaurd or boating club has a driving course take it..I am alive today only because my Dad someone who had 20 years on the lake experience took one of these courses from the Coast Guard..<br />When I was about 10 My Dad and uncle and I went out fishing around Kellys Island on lake erie.. Good nice day of fishing no to low chop..Then we herd weather advisory on the radio..Winds were going to kick up to 26 knots..Pulled up gear and headed in..Waves went to 13-15 foot killers in no time we were in a 18foot cabin cruiser..In lake erie waves are not like in a ocean they are one right after another with very little room inbetween swells..We were 5 miles out it took 2 and 1/2 hours to get back..When youre sitting in a boat and every wave blocks out the sun you get humbled very quickly..There insnt always a second chance to get it right..Had my Dad not learn what to do in that situation and how to ride the waves I dont think I would be here today..

Always Broke

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You’re a lucky guy Solid. I used to live in Pennsylvania and heard a lot of horror stories about Lake Erie. I remember when some of the Coast Guardsman lost their lives on that lake because of a sudden storm. The lake has some shallow areas in it and in between the huge waves they were hitting bottom, they had duel outboards and it knocked them both off then capsized the boat, it was ironic though the people they were going to rescue made it in.<br />Sorry if we scared you off BKS. Maybe he gave up boating after what we told him? :eek: