• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

New at boating: Are 20 mph winds excessive to boat in?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New at boating: Are 20 mph winds excessive to boat in?

20 ft fish and ski.Just curious about how bad 20 mph winds would be on a lake, espessially for a newbe.

Re: New at boating: Are 20 mph winds excessive to boat in?

Not if you don't mind some spray. Not a comfy ride, though.
    sigpic

Comment

Also depends on the lake. A big, wide flatland lake where the waves can build up quite a fetch over a lengthy area can be downright dangerous. Okeechobee, Kentucky lakes are 2 that come to mind. Narrower, deep mountain lakes like a Table Rock in Missouri or Quachita in Arkansas down get quite as bad and certain areas of those lakes protected by mountains or ridges are actually kinda calm.Overall though, I'd plan on doing honey do's on days with wind forecast that bad though.

Comment

I boat on Sebago,in Maine.It is a very large and deep lake.The waves can get pretty large.A lot calmer in the shallows or a cove.It depends on the type of lake and how your boats sits in the water also.Kevin

Comment

I'd agree with above...depending on the lake, it will be a little rough but your 20'er should handle it. What may be more of a concern is the condition of the dock/launch area in that wind and the direction it is blowing. A strong wind blowing in or across the docks it could be a little nerve racking to dock and retrieve the boat.

Comment

Just curious about how bad 20 mph winds would be on a lake, espessially for a newbe.
            Not a good idea. Get some experience with better weather first, then you can decide what you are comfortable with. I stay home if the winds are that strong. I could probably go out but it wouldn't be enjoyable.
            Ron

2000 Camano Troll
            North Charleston, SC

Comment

I would not consider 20 mph winds an issue for most boats - over open water where there is some fetch, you're probably not going to get a lot less than that anyway, particualry in the afternoons.

Comment

About 3/4 downwind from the shoreline in a 20 mph wind you'll be in 3ft or higher waves - it's murder to go upwind in a tri-hull in those conditions. If you're at a really big lake where the wind has 2 or 4 or 12 miles to get some momentum up, it can get really nasty at 20mph or more wind. But the lee shores & coves won't be nearly so affected.
                It's all about the tools.

"If the ocean is glass flat and the sun is shining, you open up the special memory compartment of your brain and start recording the smells, sounds, sights and feelings." -- Philster

"Poets talk about 'spots of time,' but it is really fishermen who experience eternity compressed into a moment. No one can tell what a spot of time is until suddenly the whole world is a fish and the fish is gone. I shall remember that son of a b**** forever." -- N. Maclean

Comment

I agree with,depeands on the lake,20mph on some of these rivers and lakes is very dangerous.
                  If it was easy,everbody would be doing it!

Comment

Nice warm day, life vest, 12" v-hull-neat. Cold water,no one around and you are in high wind in an area no one has a clue, bad idea! In other words boat with the conditions. Boat smart.

Comment

I went out in 25 mph winds on monday. It was very choppy and whitecapping but I did fine. I also have an offshore deep-vee fishing boat which helped significantly in the chop. I was lucky that the wind was pushing at the back end of the boat when I was putting it back on the trailer so I didn't have much trouble loading it back up.
                      1974 Aquasport 22-2 w/2001 Yamaha 150hp HPDI
                      1992 Sailfish DC 190 Sport
                      1969 Lonestar fisherman w/ 1969 Johnson 9.5hp
                      1956 Johnson 10hp QD-17
                      1957 Johnson 35hp

Comment

I would suggest that if you can, talk to some of the locals. Particularily if they live on the lake in question. Join a local boating club if there is one. Then you can learn from other's experience.
                        Mike Robinson

Comment

I fall back on another old guy's advice when faced with windy conditions in Puget Sound that "when in doubt, don't go out."

Comment

Which lake, is it in AZ? Havasu, Roosevelt, which one?

Comment

I may be saying what some of the other boaters already said but figured I’d put my few cents in too. Don’t put your self in a situation your questionable about in the first place, that little guy in your head is trying to tell you something. Get enough experience boating so that your own conscience will tell you right from wrong, If you did go out in rough water I for one would not want to be in the boat with you being a newbe, one little mistake can cause a lot of regret. I saw a 26 foot top heavy cabin cruiser flip on it’s side in the Ohio river and had to fish the whole family out of the drink because of a wind around 20 MPH, it was blowing upstream and made some nasty white caps even though the river was down in a valley with a lot of protection from the wind, not much fun for any of us. The boat caught a good sized wave on the side and a gust of wind finished off the job. I mostly boat in the inter-coastal here in Florida now and still watch the weather, unless you enjoy a lot of hard work trying to dock or load a boat in the wind stay home.

Comment

Working...
                              X