Am I insane and say yes or am I insane and say no to this trip?

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I will try to Readers Digest this as much as possible. I got a call from a very close friend last week. To give you an idea how close we met the very 1st day of High School in the fall or 68'. We played ball together from that day in 68', worked together on weekends in the Steel Plants in HS. Played University ball together for a few years. We were both drafted by the same team in Canada. Both tore up our legs within a week of one another, ended up working in the same office in a company of 25,000 employees. We not only kept in touch I am his daughters God Father and being 100% of Italian decent and RC take that role seriously. Our relationship survived a business venture that did not go well in 07. He's my brother from a different Moma.

He has done very well and purchased a 40 some foot 1968 Chris Craft in Lauderdale. He has asked me to help him plan the trip back to the west end of Lake Ontario and wants me to join him on the trip north this spring. I am the detail guy that makes the rules and has everyone follow them, he is the "why not try it what do you have to lose?" and has always been the Cowboy. We balance each other. I have never piloted a boat this large however he has had a 32 footer and did the Lake O to Nova Scotia trip 20 years ago. I have seen pics of the new to him boat and read the recent survey. New twin screws, all new electronics including radar, auto pilot, it is loaded. He insists he is bringing the boat up in the spring and wants me to plan the trip and go with him. We are 2 days apart in age at 63. I told him to hire someone and ship it up I-75 or 95 and forget about it or spend some money hiring a Captain 1 way. He has always said "Do you want to live forever?" Just 10 years ago I would be chomping on the bit to do it. Not so much now. This trip has always been a dream of mine now they call dreams bucket lists. Part of me wants to say "Yes when do we leave?" and the logical part says "Are you nuts Johnny D, you are 63 not 43 and not in the greatest of health?" I am not about to commit to anything right away. Our wives and us are going to fly down after New Years so I can see this new old boat up close and personal. I will pick the brains of those at his marina and cost out hiring a good Pilot in the spring. All the planning has to start ASAP in my opinion. I haven't even looked at how far one can use the Intercostal and how much one would be on the Atlantic. I don't know shoot about this trip and the boats ability, it sure looks sea worthy. I have read the sticky at the top of this forum and one would swear I wrote it but about something I know well. I'm the detail guy, he's the "lets go to Italy tomorrow". I have worked in contingency planning and authored large portions of the contingency planning and failure analysis for the ISO certification requirements for large manufacturing firms here in Ontario pre Y2K and post 2000. If I am going to do this I will start planning without telling my friend and based on what I learn early will help me convince myself to say yea or nay. My wife of 25 years think it's a great idea for me, I'm somewhat bored, no I am totally bored. I am a been there done that guy, and I am glad I did all the crazy things in life when I was younger so I wasn't always so logical. We never had children and that makes a big difference as to how one lives. Our first real date was a week in Runaway Bay Jamaica, must have made a good impression.

Man that's the Readers Digest version? I have as a resource many hundreds, more like thousands of years experience here at iboats. I know none of you know my pal or myself but just based on what I wrote I will really respect all of your expert opinions. Fire the questions at me if you will. Am I nuts or am I a woos?

Last edited:

RGrew176

Commander
I would say do it if you are up to the trip. It would be the experience of a lifetime. Doing that trip would let you say that you have done 1/2 of the loop. Make sure the boat is up to the trip. A couple members of my boat club purchased boats down south and made the trip back here to the Great Lakes and had no regrets. Said it was the trip of a lifetime.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you only live once...hells yeah i would go .....bring a camera to document the trip, a siris satellite radio for tunes, good food to enjoy, and pack sammiches, bottle water, flares and a life raft should something go south

for all else, there is mastercard or visa

the ICW (or "the ditch") goes a long way, from Key West Florida to Norfolk Virginia, however there are some skinny waters in the ICW here in FL and up in GA. make sure your charts are up to date. some passes are labeled "local knowledge required" because the channels change almost daily

http://www.offshoreblue.com/cruising/aicw-intro.php

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
An option is for him to hire a Captain and you still go on the trip with your buddy.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
We had a long (dry) lunch today and we were joined by Dom's older brother who is a few years older then us. Came to learn Dan was the Cappy on the trip down the St. Lawrence to Nova Scotia some years back. He was Commodore at a large Marina on the Niagara Peninsula. He's the most experienced boat guy amongst us for sure. We tried to convince him to be Capt. No way, too many Grand Child commitments, wowza. We talked about a route looking online. It appears to me at a very quick glance one would use the intercostal as much as possible with the Erie Barge Canal as the destination to get us to Lake Erie, then the Welland Canal on Erie to get to Lake O. Sounds simple eh?

I have a few questions for you folks with out asking how long this adventure would take, that's like asking "How long is a rope?"

We looked at the intercostal "Great Loop" from Port St. Lucie to the NY Harbour and Hudson then to the Erie Barge Canal on a few web sites. It truly is a dream of many to do it that few have achieved, I didn't think it was such a great achievement. The Super Bowl of boaters so to speak. At this point without showing my hand, I'm in!!!!!! Costs will be the determining factor I believe.

I have read somewhere here that each State requires fees and permits to use the Thruways traveling by land based on the weight, width and height of a boat and trailer . Does the same hold true for the intercostal and locks for each State?

Assume I know gallons of fuel per mile, capacity of any or all holding tank(s), distance between capable Marinas, maintenance schedule of the boat. The distance for that trip may be a lifetime of me putting around on day trips and fishing where I am, maybe more for some other boat owners that hardly move their boat during the short Canadian boating season. What are some main preliminary questions should I be asking besides the best Physiatrists along the route ?

Thanks
Johnny D

roffey

Commander
There are a few YouTube videos of people doing just that. Going from Florida to Lake Erie and on to Lake Ontario. One is kind of funny. The fellow is on one leg of his journey and is by him self. Its his birthday and he decides to have a few drinks as the boat is on auto pilot. He falls asleep and hits a shoal...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Don?t put too much thought into it.

Jump off the cliff.....shooting off the hip on the fly is part of the allure of boating.

Some of my best adventures where either planned or started after midnight in an adult beverage distribution center.

Unfortunately, finding old timers to jump off the cliff with you is getting harder each passing year. Go for it why you can.....

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Do it
do it
do it
do it
do it
do it
do it
do it
do it
do it
do it
do it
do it
do it
do it
do it
do it
do it
do it
do it
do it
do it
do it
do it
do it
do it
do it
do it

Or you are a wussy boy.

If you know how to boat and don't drink all day and have no schedule you will be fine.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Do it.

Route: ICW to Norfolk. Up Chesapeake Bay to C&D Canal, Delaware Bay to Cape May. Atlantic Ocean to Sandy Hook, New Jersey. Up the bay to New York City. Hudson River to Albany. Erie Canal to Oswego Canal to Lake Ontario or Lake Erie to Welland Canal to Lake Ontario.

There are no navigation fees associated with the trip until the Erie Canal. There are nominal fees for the New York Canal System and for the Welland Canal. There will be moorage fees at whatever marinas you stop in.

I suggest joining AGLCA (America?s Great Loop Cruiser?s Association). Even though you?re not doing the whole Loop, there are lots of very helpful folks on their forum that have made the trip over your proposed route. Another great resource is Active Captain. They recently sold out to Garmin, but the crowd sourced information there is quite useful. Google it to see what platforms are available since Garmin bought it. I access Active Captain data on an iPad via the Garmin Blue Chart Mobile app, but Garmin has discontinued that app.

Have a safe trip.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
The other thing I am looking at is the various fees for boats not registered in the State you are boating in. I remember reading something here about it. One reason some vessels are registered Internationally if I'm not mistaken. If and when we do this we will change the registration from Fla to Canuck in NY, with the correct paper work it is actually easy, I've imported cars and boats before from the US. For all I know at this point the boat may be registered internationally. Am I on the right track as far as this international registration goes?

82rude

Rear Admiral
Plan wisely but don't over think it .Wish I could do a trip like that.Heck id most likely spend a whole day planning:D .When I went out west to Victoria b.c I planned for a whole 1/2 day and left and wandered back a month later with memories to last a lifetime,all good!

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Plan wisely but don't over think it .Wish I could do a trip like that.Heck id most likely spend a whole day planning:D .When I went out west to Victoria b.c I planned for a whole 1/2 day and left and wandered back a month later with memories to last a lifetime,all good!

Sometimes those are the best road trips. I have done more than a few when I was 30 years younger, I never spent a month though. Sitting around at my buddies bar on a Friday after work and an hour latter are on a plane to Vegas, stuff like that. Going to NYC after hitting the bars in Buffalo was always a spur of the moment thing way back then. 50 bucks or less return on Jet Blue at 4AM, the Stewardesses took the money walking down the aisle after the plane was off the ground. Sometimes even bought new clothes to wear off 42nd St. Montreal was always a Friday or Saturday night road trip.. St. Catherines Street was home base on those Montreal road trips. They knew us by first name at the 1 star hotel we stayed at. They always asked how many hours are you going to stay? Oh my goodness gracious. I must have scratched many a Monday off work then.

I once ran into a woman who introduced herself to me in a restaurant one evening. I came to find out was the kid sister of a girl I knew and chummed around with in High School. I was in grade 13 she in grade 4, I never knew she existed. We went out on a date and I asked her if she wanted to go to Jamaica with me the next week , I was booked to go anyway. That was 27 years ago, she just went to bed, we have been together ever since. Somewhere along the line I woke up one day and had turned into my Father, what the?

Not anything about this boat trip, planning maybe, she does own a boat though and lets me borrow it.

Last edited:

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
Your going to need capable crew to keep the boat moving and to do repairs. Are you thinking about leaving in May? There is certain May date that all the winter flood debris and logs are gone from the canal so I'm thinking to leave in May. There are a lot of locks and few capable guys will be a huge asset on a 40 footer. I can cover my own expenses and transportation for the opportunity to crew. All I need is a date and address. Can be reached @ PM sent.

Last edited:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Your going to need capable crew to keep the boat moving and to do repairs. Are you thinking about leaving in May? There is certain May date that all the winter flood debris and logs are gone from the canal so I'm thinking to leave in May. There are a lot of locks and few capable guys will be a huge asset on a 40 footer. I can cover my own expenses and transportation for the opportunity to crew. All I need is a date and address. Can be reached @ For 8o 2992795.

I will pass that onto my good friend, you never know. May 1st would be the departure date I would think. April showers should be well over and weather hopefully co operates. I have seen however the ice booms in Buffalo still closed in June. I would hate to see that after all those nautical miles, North Tonawanda N.Y. isn't my favorite place to be trapped in. I'm only kidding I have close family there.

If he considers it I will PM you. I'm not saying with you it is the case but I went out on the lake fishing with someone I met on a fishing forum and it turned out to be a nightmare. The first thing he says is he forgot his meds to control his physiological issues, I swear to the Lord. I have no idea what the address you can be reached at is. Maybe a telephone. If it is delete it, not good to leave a private phone number online. PM is best.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
This sounds like a lot of fun ! That is as long as no mishaps along the way .. I would suggest just taking your time map out where you want to end up at the end of the day early enough to settle down to eat well and get some rest .. Wake up to a new adventure every day ! But do have some sort of a back up plan in case whatever may happen that would keep you from finishing the journey should happen ..
Good luck we will be looking forward to all the pics and stories !!