Havasu in the winter - what to check out?

thunder550

Petty Officer 3rd Class
We just booked a 4 night trip at the Nautical Beachfront resort from Dec 28 - Jan 1. Dragging the Cobalt out there, planning to check out the lake and cruise up the river towards Laughlin as well. I've only been to Havasu once and that was 16 years ago, don't remember anything about it. Anyone have suggestions on places to check out while we are there? Dock-and-dine restaurants or bars? Scenic destinations? How is the Colorado River upstream of the lake during the winter?

MRS

Commander
Havasu is great this time of the year but would only run thru the narrows up to the I-40 to pirate cove. The river gets real shallow and if you do not know the river lots of things there to get hung up on or eat a prop real fast. Even running into the narrows real shallow entering from the lake look for the channel it is marked. The turtle bar there at the Nautical is about the only dock and dine bar/restaurant around. If you want to go to Laughlin I would drive there have fun I love boating on Havasu...

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
if you want scenic beauty, canyon walls and mountains then put in above Laughlin and run up towards the Hover Dam. There is a warning boey 6 miles before the dam with resturant and Marina so just go past a few miles until you feel like the rocks and current are beyond your comphort zone. Leading up to all of that is awesome and deep. Havasu has become a tourist trap and you may just want to get away from it after a day. Run at cruise speed and watch your fuel consumption if you run it and I suggest you do. Towards Nedles IDK. I live close and never has it been suggested that it's a great boat trip but I'd do it if I was stuck at havasui.

fishrdan

Admiral
Agree with MRS, lots of reefs and sandbars going up to Laughlin on the river. I'd avoid unless you know the water pretty thin going up towards Davis Dam.

if you want scenic beauty, canyon walls and mountains then put in above Laughlin and run up towards the Hover Dam. There is a warning boey 6 miles before the dam with resturant and Marina so just go past a few miles until you feel like the rocks and current are beyond your comphort zone.

High HP boats (over 65HP?) can't go above Willow Beach during the winter, only Memorial day to Labor day, and no motored boats up river past WB on Sunday and Mondays. Thank the greenies... Still some awesome scenery up to Willow Beach from Laughlin, "if" the wind isn't blowing. I wouldn't want to be on a sight seeing trip on Mohave if the winds are over 20MPH S>N or N>S, that's when I go fishing on Mohave, when it's nasty weather.

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
Agree with MRS, lots of reefs and sandbars going up to Laughlin on the river. I'd avoid unless you know the water pretty thin going up towards Davis Dam.

High HP boats (over 65HP?) can't go above Willow Beach during the winter, only Memorial day to Labor day, and no motored boats up river past WB on Sunday and Mondays. Thank the greenies... Still some awesome scenery up to Willow Beach from Laughlin, "if" the wind isn't blowing. I wouldn't want to be on a sight seeing trip on Mohave if the winds are over 20MPH S>N or N>S, that's when I go fishing on Mohave, when it's nasty weather.

I've heard that about the wind so I actually put in in Searchlite Nevada. Problem with that is the huge hill he would have to climb to get there. I'm not sure why the wind whips up the Colorado river/lake there. I think the wind comes from the south and current from the North. From Seachlight you still have to run a few miles of open water before the canyon walls protect you but nothing like the chop on the lake from what I hear.

MRS

Commander
thunder550 is already booked at the Nautical in Havasu this time of the year not anything like the summer time. We love it at this time but we do alot of fishing when we go. Plus now is the time to visit copper canyon beautiful with out all the crazy crowd there.
We where there Thanksgiving no wind 78% no crowds was nice.

thunder550

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the input all. We are for sure going to go up as far as pirate cove, I've read mixed recommendations about going further north than that. I downloaded Navionics app and it seems like no data north of Needles. Only thought I had is if I can time it to a tour boat trip and follow maybe that would work. Otherwise just stick to needles and south.

MRS

Commander
thunder, how did the trip go just wondering.

thunder550

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The weather was decent, a bit on the cold side, especially near the 52 degree water. The family didn't want to do much boating, so I took a couple cruises out by myself. First time trying to head up the river I was following what looked like a deeper part on Navionics app and ended up in about 18" of water. I panicked and did probably the worst thing and cut throttle and came off plane, buried the drive in the sand. Luckily no harm done other than some paint rubbed off. I came back later for a second try and found the buoys and no wake zone on the western side of the inlet and made it past at idle. There were some really shallow spots where I was kicking up sediment and saw less than a foot on my depth finder but I don't think I was in the mud much if at all. Made it about halfway to Pirate Cover before I gave up, it was really cold (went in the morning), I was alone in my boat, no other boats around, and my nerves were shot by seeing shallow areas pass by underneath and seeing <2 ft on my depth finder a few times. Made it back with no other problems, blew through the no wake zone coming back onto the lake since nobody else was there.

Overall it was relaxing, we had a lot of down time and not as much time on the water as I was hoping. Probably stick to warmer months in the future so there's more to do on the lake. Still a good trip though. The Nautical Beachfront resort was great, we were in one of the remodeled beach suite rooms. Loved the resort. We are planning to go back this summer and stay in the same place.

Cruising video
https://youtu.be/XF_oJ_Xoiw0

Attachments

• photo283188.jpg
    photo283188.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo283189.jpg
    photo283189.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo283190.jpg
    photo283190.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo283191.jpg
    photo283191.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo283192.jpg
    photo283192.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo283193.jpg
    photo283193.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 0

MRS

Commander
October is when we try to go not many people and nicer weather summer and holidays can get pretty crazy I will not go on holidays. Once you learn how to run thru the narrows to pirate cove not to bad scary the first couple of times but can be done. We fish the striper derby every year and run it in the dark up a round devils elbow still makes me pucker up in the dark. :culpability:

thunder550

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I figure I'll try it again in the summer, maybe follow another larger boat through or something. I'd be a lot more comfortable if there were other people around in case I got into trouble. Thanks for the info :)

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Please don't blow through no wake zones regardless if anyone is there or not. They are marked for a reason and not just boat traffic.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
+1 on going in the fall.

I've taken trips out that way for over 20 years to boat with family living out there. Wish it didn't take me that long to figure out October is the time to go. Crowds mostly gone, water is warm, air is more reasonable. Mead 16.jpg