Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Store Links Mobile - Shop Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Champlain, Champlain Canal and Hudson River

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Champlain, Champlain Canal and Hudson River

    My plan:

    Tow boat from home to Mallets Bay, VT (<3 hours)

    Spend 4 days on mid-to upper Champlain based out of Mallets Bay every night.

    Load up boat and drive to Westport, NY (1.5 hours)

    Re-launch the boat and leave the truck and trailer in Westport.

    Head south down the lake, the canal, and the Hudson River (north of Saugerties because we've already done the stretch from Saugerties to NYC) with lots of long stops at the many ports on the route. (3 to 7 days).

    Leave the boat in Hudson, NY for a day while we take Amtrak from Hudson to Westport (5.5 hour train ride)

    Drive truck and trailer from Westport to Hudson (<3.5 hour drive)

    Load boat and head home. (<4 hour drive)

    Any thoughts or recommendations for the section from the top of the canal to Hudson? We have been to Champlain before. We would like to explore some of the following places: Crown Point State Park, Fort Ticonderoga, Whitehall, Fort Edward, Schuyler, Saratoga Springs (via taxi from/to Schuyler), Stillwater, Mechanicville, Waterford, Troy, Albany, Coeyman's Landing, and Hudson.

  • #2
    Not to hijack the thread, but I'm curious about the same route (Hudson river to Champlain canal to Champlain lake) during the winter. Any parts of this route frozen or closed during the winter? Was thinking about leaving my boat in the water in Lake Champlain during winter. Haven't heard of floods there like what's happening in Lake Ontario.

    op, You listed a lot of destinations at the end. Not sure if this suggestion would work for you, but have you considered visiting some on your way out and some on your way back. That way you can take the boat back without the hassle of train and trailer.

    Comment


    • #3
      Sounds like a good trip . . . you always plan things out quite well.

      I have no suggestions on sights to see, but I did go to college in Troy. Not sure there is much to see there though
      Best regards, Ted . . . . Cape Cod, MA

      Formula 330 Sun Sport, O'Day Mariner Sail #3224, Sunfish
      Past Boats: Catalina 22 Sail #10531, Formula 242 Sun Sport
      Twin Mercruiser 7.4 LX MPI (0F802036, 039), Bravo 3's (0F806198, 199), Mercury 7.5 HP (1969), Johnson 4.5 HP (1980)

      My Boating Web Pages: http://www.tpenfield.com

      Member of the Month - February 2013

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by newboat1925 View Post
        Not to hijack the thread, but I'm curious about the same route (Hudson river to Champlain canal to Champlain lake) during the winter. Any parts of this route frozen or closed during the winter? Was thinking about leaving my boat in the water in Lake Champlain during winter. Haven't heard of floods there like what's happening in Lake Ontario.

        op, You listed a lot of destinations at the end. Not sure if this suggestion would work for you, but have you considered visiting some on your way out and some on your way back. That way you can take the boat back without the hassle of train and trailer.
        The locks are only open from May to October, thus rendering the canal unusable for half the year. We originally were planning a return trip back up the canal, but 60 miles of a 10 MPH speed limit, "one of the world's 10 most scenic train rides", and incredibly convenient launch ramps and train stations made the train journey an interesting option and will give us more time to explore towns.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by tpenfield View Post
          Sounds like a good trip . . . you always plan things out quite well.

          I have no suggestions on sights to see, but I did go to college in Troy. Not sure there is much to see there though
          RPI right? I know a ton of people that went there and all are successful. One recently got his PhD and teaches there now. Perhaps we'll tour the campus... Wife and I love to walk.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Mischief Managed View Post

            RPI right? I know a ton of people that went there and all are successful. One recently got his PhD and teaches there now. Perhaps we'll tour the campus... Wife and I love to walk.
            Yes, RPI. I studied 'fluids' fairly extensively there and then went on to get an MBA at their school of management. I have not been there in about 12 years, but get together with college friends more often.
            Best regards, Ted . . . . Cape Cod, MA

            Formula 330 Sun Sport, O'Day Mariner Sail #3224, Sunfish
            Past Boats: Catalina 22 Sail #10531, Formula 242 Sun Sport
            Twin Mercruiser 7.4 LX MPI (0F802036, 039), Bravo 3's (0F806198, 199), Mercury 7.5 HP (1969), Johnson 4.5 HP (1980)

            My Boating Web Pages: http://www.tpenfield.com

            Member of the Month - February 2013

            Comment


            • #7
              Really great trip you have planned there. What size boat are you doing this in?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Spence340 View Post
                Really great trip you have planned there. What size boat are you doing this in?
                Almost done doing it in a 25 foot Regal cuddy cabin. Skipped the train part and just went back up the canal since it was really fun. Been hanging out on Champlain this week. Awesome lake. 3 more days of this and then I have to head home...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Finished our trip on 8-20. Sorted through 3000+ photos and made an album with some good ones here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=129af23b1e We went as far north as the Canada border and as far south as Saugerties, NY . We skipped the train plan and just took the boat back north through the Champlain Canal since it was so much fun. I highly recommend this kind of trip, it was pathetically easy and great fun going through the locks. In a planing hull boat, one could easily do the whole canal from Try to Whitehall, or vice versa, in one 7AM to 5 PM day.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Sign up today
                    I've been following you on FB, Looks like you had a good trip.
                    Best regards, Ted . . . . Cape Cod, MA

                    Formula 330 Sun Sport, O'Day Mariner Sail #3224, Sunfish
                    Past Boats: Catalina 22 Sail #10531, Formula 242 Sun Sport
                    Twin Mercruiser 7.4 LX MPI (0F802036, 039), Bravo 3's (0F806198, 199), Mercury 7.5 HP (1969), Johnson 4.5 HP (1980)

                    My Boating Web Pages: http://www.tpenfield.com

                    Member of the Month - February 2013

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X